Sign in to follow this  
Jen

EFB

Will the new NGX have EFB (Electronic Flight Bag) capability?Regards,jack noulet

That would be cool, but it would also mean subscriptions and/or fees to some chart provider like Navigraph to stay current, depending on if you want a one time thing or for the whole year. I'm sure something like this would cost a pretty penny and use a lot of space to have acces to worldwide aerodome charts, SIDs, and STARS.

Eric Vander

Pilot and Controller Boston Virtual ATC

KATL - The plural form of cow.

KORD - Something you put in a power socket.

UNIT - Something of measure

My 747 Fuel Calculator

Eric has a point there, well for some countries anyway. If all did was fly in the US, you wouldn't need any subscriptions since all the charts you could ever want or need are free. I wish Navigraph was able to allow you to save as pdf, but then again people would then give them all away.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

The real EFB has full load of Jeppesen charts (no Navigraph, thank you) plus the whole slew of aircraft documentation, blueprints, performance charts, checklists, etc. To collect all this data and put it into the EFB-friendly format would simply be impossible not to mention the Jeppesen costs a small fortune.

Sorry I didnt read your whole post.

Eric Vander

Pilot and Controller Boston Virtual ATC

KATL - The plural form of cow.

KORD - Something you put in a power socket.

UNIT - Something of measure

My 747 Fuel Calculator

The NACO ones are basically free, but then there's the server and bandwidth of updating 15,000 charts 13 times a year for X number of users (it's not as hard as it sounds). But that's just the U.S. and, take it from me, it's pretty much impossible to get charts outside the US into a commercial product without paying out the ying yang.But I dont think I would use an in-game EFB over my iPad or second (or third) monitor. It would involve quite a bit of panning to look at the chart then zooming in all the way to read it properly, then zooming way out to fly the plane again.

Noah Bryant

It would involve quite a bit of panning to look at the chart then zooming in all the way to read it properly, then zooming way out to fly the plane again.
Very good point. It would be a lot of work for little practical utility.

Maybe an integration with the standard FSX kneeboard. You just press SHIFT+F10 and there is your chart at the briefing page. This is just a suggestion, I don´t know if it´s possible to do this.

Michal I honestly have Zero clue what your talking about. PMDG have already talked about an EFB in the past and I have 2 EFB addons now that I use with FSX (one at a time of course). Are you just giving info about how the real ones work? People in FS use them all the time, I think there are now 3 or maybe more developers that make them.What most people I imagine are referring to as far as a functional EFB is mostly nothing more than a PDF reader.As for all the aircraft documentation, blueprints, performance charts, checklists those could either be pdf format or pure digital. I mainly only use mine for up to date real world weather info and my charts. No navigraph needed, Thank you, since I get my charts for free in pdf.@ Noah, Was your developers or you able to overcome the FSX DX window issue? Meaning does your EFB work with FSX in full screen mode? The two I own cannot and I understand fully why. But would be willing to buy a third, if it worked in full screen. That's the main reason I too have been hoping PMDG create one. Not to take business from someone like yourself, but since they are coding it, they could make it work I think without the use of explorer.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

I actually have found myself flying more and more domestic US flights just because of the free NACO charts. I find I can no longer fly without charts (vroute is good and getting you links to charts, so there are a couple of bigger airports I can fly into), but I just cannot stand Navigraphs charts. I cant stand the way you have to pay for updates, have to use their nDAC, and the presentation of the charts are just poor, they lack massive amounts of information compared to the NACO charts, with is just loaded with everything you need for the arrival and approach.

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

Eric has a point there, well for some countries anyway. If all did was fly in the US, you wouldn't need any subscriptions since all the charts you could ever want or need are free. I wish Navigraph was able to allow you to save as pdf, but then again people would then give them all away.
Try Skyvector.com. It is easily the best resource for charts and maps in the USA. Cheers!!

I agree Scott, I will always buy my FMC data but hardly ever reference their charts anymore. I also have VROUTE and have created a huge amount of the routes they use in the USA. I only wish the UK had sites like Runwayfinder and Skyvector so I could do the same in the neck of the woods.@ Blake, Thanks Blake, I am very familiar but prefer Runway finder. The charts I use I believe are from the same place skyvector links to anyway which is flightaware.

Dan Prunier

Dan - I didnt write anything that runs in FS or even on a computer at all for that matter. I write apps for iPads and iPhones/iPods. The iPad is a perfect EFB device, no question about it. I actually use my own application when I'm flying (whether that be in FS or in a real plane) but since I have 3 monitors I usually have extra real estate for charts if I want.

Noah Bryant

Oh ok, I didn't know that Noah, thanks for the clarity. I don't own any of those gadgets currently but will definitely get your product if I ever do. I too have 3 monitors, but still prefer to not run in windowed mode if I can help it. I have a couple other monitors I was thinking about hooking up for other addons but right now I'm happy with using my laptop for charts,,, I just wish I bought a smaller one!Edit: Haha, I just now looked at your sig and, bam,,, there it is. I never noticed them before, or recognized them I should say.For the record, I used to only fly in windowed mode, but now only fly pretty late at night and having the charts open on one of my big screens blinds me and kills my night vision :(

Dan Prunier

For the record, I used to only fly in windowed mode, but now only fly pretty late at night and having the charts open on one of my big screens blinds me and kills my night vision :(
AivlaSoft EFB has "night mode" which is very useful, but charts lack a lot of information, I was thinking about buying it but after trying it for longer time I'm not sure about it anymore.