Sign in to follow this  
Guest FPSFREAK

Dual Processor

I'm looking at getting a new computer and was wondering if FS9's code took use of dual Processors? I was looking at dual XEON's running 2.8Ghz. Should that give me smooth frame rates?

Guest Rafael Cervera

Smooth frame rates come with a good video card (something with 128 or 256 megs of VRAM).However, a duallie will make it real easy to multitask; for example you could have MSFS running all day during a NY to Hong Kong flight while you are working on your normal applications, and the PC wont even bat a wink.I have a P4 2ghz with 500 megs RAM and a Radeon 9200 w/128 megs VRAM. My FPS are 30 to 60 in all conditions (even inside clouds) with all the sliders up and high video resolutions (1152x864). Task Monitor (Control-Alt-Delete) shows the CPU working at 100% capacity all the time. With a Duall the processors would only be loaded 50% capacity.If you want awsome hardware related performance gains, you will have to wait for the 64 bit systems comming up later this year and then wait somore for the sofwares to catch up. 'Bout 2 more years, me thinks.;)

Guest FPSFREAK

>Smooth frame rates come with a good video card (something>with 128 or 256 megs of VRAM).Actually when it comes to most Games and Sims today, a strong VideoCard will make very little difference depending on the speed of the CPU driving it. Try running a 9700Pro w a P3 933 than run the same thing only back it with a 2.4 P4 and tell me what the difference is. Tremendous in case anyone was curious. We have reached a point with the current VC's today that the CPU has become the bottleneck and not the VC.>However, a duallie will make it real easy to multitask; for>example you could have MSFS running all day during a NY to>Hong Kong flight while you are working on your normal>applications, and the PC wont even bat a wink.To a point you are right although the applicayions would be shared between the CPU's. One has to wonder how many times a situation like you speak of would come up and would it warrant the outlay of cash.>I have a P4 2ghz with 500 megs RAM and a Radeon 9200 w/128>megs VRAM. My FPS are 30 to 60 in all conditions (even inside>clouds) with all the sliders up and high video resolutions>(1152x864). Task Monitor (Control-Alt-Delete) shows the CPU>working at 100% capacity all the time. With a Duall the>processors would only be loaded 50% capacity.You must have some sort of "SUPERDUPER" 9200 there to be pulling those framerates with that machine. When you say sliders up you mean set at medium to high correct. If by up you mean all the way than I would have to say you are not looking at them as an average. Even averaged out those framerates are way above average for that setup if indeed you do have sliders right. Whats your secret? I run 2 FS setups, the first being a 3.06P4B@3.45Ghz with 512 Megs PC1066 and a radeon 9700Pro at 385/364 and I'll see highs in the 70's and 80's but that is a rare occasion. I lock my frames at 25 for that machine and allow the extra CPU cycles to smooth the sim out which it does nicely. The other rig is the one in my sig and although I can and do see framerates that can be locked at 50-60 I again lock them at 25 and allow the rest to go towards the sims other needs.>If you want awsome hardware related performance gains, you>will have to wait for the 64 bit systems comming up later this>year and then wait somore for the sofwares to catch up. 'Bout>2 more years, me thinks.;)Actually with the release of AMD's upcoming 64bit CPU you should be able to see large gains in even 32bit apps as it is said to run those faster than some current 32bit CPU's.To help answer the original posters question....If you want to save some money, actually a lot of money, forget about the Xeons which are not really good gaming CPU's (Intended for server applications) and get yourself a nice juicy 3.2 P4C, ASUS P4C800 or Abit IC-7G, 1 Gig of PC3500 and a Radeon 9800Pro 256 or Nvidia 5900FXUltra. If you needed any more FPS than that machine could deliver than their are other issues at state here Lol :) Besides the fact the savings in dollars that could go towards other more useful things.Have a good one.Bobby