Sign in to follow this  
frankla

What is virtual updating that is now mentioned on updated FAQ page of MS Flight

I just noticed that MS completely re-worded their answer for "how does windows Live for windows factor in?" question in FAQ section. They replaced the answer per following: "LIVE introduces a new level of connectivity to virtual flight, enhancing both the social and game play experiences of the title. Content is updated virtually. You can fly solo or join an entire global flight community online" Notice their comment about virtual updating (and their emphasis on ability to fly solo). What is virtual updating anyway? Updating of navigation data bases?Frank La

Well the content they speak of could be as simple as the on-line weather like we already have, or it could be product updates or service packs, missions, rewards for certain things like landings/hours, etc.I seriously doubt that scenery will be streaming, like a tile proxy type of system, but you never know, and until we find out for sure its just guess work.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Likely refers to patches, like SP1 and SP2 (downloads) - sort of like ‘Windows Update’.It’s also a feature of GFW-Live’s biggest competition, Steam.In fact this was the original purpose of Steam...all the other features came later.But like you say, it could be used to supply more minor content updates.'Update' does not imply 'streaming'...IMO

Well the content they speak of could be as simple as the on-line weather like we already have, or it could be product updates or service packs, missions, rewards for certain things like landings/hours, etc.I seriously doubt that scenery will be streaming, like a tile proxy type of system, but you never know, and until we find out for sure its just guess work.
or real time aircraft flights for your traffic.  I could see them some how tying into these real time flight tracking sites and then have those aircraft show in "flight"

As has been suggested already, it could be nearly anything that requires "updating."It could also include something such as instant update on "imposter models" to stand in for the aircraft in use by others who're online at any given time.However, from my POV the more interesting use will be the probable "instant updating" of the sim's software via a self-installing patch...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.