Sign in to follow this  
Speed_NYC

need advice on upgrade for triplehead2go setup

I have a triplehead2go and its real taxing on the system. I know both my cpu & vid card are bottlenecks but i think the vid card is the bigger bottleneck without enough memory to handle everything going on on 3 screens. Besides its less expense to upgrade the vid card rather than a cpu and mobo.The sliders that make the most difference are scenery complexity from sparse to normal and texture resolution from 1m to 7cm. Water and autogen also have to be kept at very low levels. KSEA is at 10fps with minimum acceptable settings for me (20% mtx traffic, 3840x1024 dx10 with 3.0 shader hack which improves weather speed a huge amount on my ati). It climbs to 20fps as i get out of the city.I would like to stay under 300 for a vid card so im considering something like a 285 gtx with 2gig ram.My system is:windows 7 x64Intel Q6600 quad core @ 2.4ghz6gig ram ocz ddr2 800mhz (2 sticks for 4gig, another 2 for 2gig)asus p5k premium black pearl editionVGA visiontek HD3870x2 with 1gig ramsoundblaster X-Fi FatalityTrack IR 4Triplehead2go digital edition3 x 4:3 19" lcd monitors @ 1280x1024 each750watt power supply

It's great that you have Triplehead2go so as I said before then I say go for the GTX470 at 329$ or if you feel like saving some money a GTX460 also performs great.

It's great that you have Triplehead2go so as I said before then I say go for the GTX470 at 329$ or if you feel like saving some money a GTX460 also performs great.
Thanks lucky, I'm pretty settled on either the 470 or 460 now.

No problem NYC, keep us posted on on what you decide.
I just bit the bullet on a superclocked evga 480 for $490 (minus a $30 rebate). I decided I was spending so much time on card research and tweaking that I'd be better off just shelling out the cash and earning the money back instead. Plus I think the 1.5gig ram will really help with the 3840x1024 resolution and also the extra shaders means I can probably still use the BP=0 tweak without instability.The best deal was here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130551Next month will be a new mobo and i7 chip.Damn this hobby is almost expensive as my real life flying.