Sign in to follow this  
apollomaker

CH Throttle Quadrant on the J41 - Issues

Howdy Guys ---- been trying to get my new CH Throttle Quadrant hooked into and working on the J41. Have tried two approaches.1. Tried a direct tie-in, as you would with any joystick or similar controller. Got things to wiggle OK but for some reason, the J41 does not see the full control swing from the CH box lever axes. Both the power and condition levers move "almost" the full range but not enough. It always takes direct mouse movement to get them to move the full range. Strange.2. I have FSUIPC4 (registered) installed and tried a hook up that way. No joy. Behavior of the controls was erratic at best and not usable.So, what say CH throttle veterans? J41 veterans? Is there a way around these issues --- I spent hours searching the web for something that worked and came up empty handed.Any help greatly appreciated Big%20Grin.gif

Hi Bob,I believe there was a specific CH tutorial in the FSUIPC docs that you should already have. I don't have the CH throts but have seen it in a doc many times.It sounds like either something isn't getting set right, or maybe a corrupt fsuipc.ini.After setting the axis's up in the "Axis Assignment" tab, you still need to go to the "Joystick Calibration" tab and set them there. Also, make sure you check the "Type of action required" in the "Axis Assignment" tab to "Send direct to FSUIPC Calibration".Edit: Never mind, I found the pdf where I seen it. I forget where I got it, and no idea why I have it for the matter since I never owned the CH throttle, but here ya go.

Edited by Turbine777

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Hey thanks Dan!!! I will study the document -- I have not seen it yet.That is the same basic approach I was using when I tried using the FSUIPC4 approach as opposed to the CH software.Keep fingers crossed -- will see what happens. Thanks!!!!! :(

Bob,One trick I use in setting up my CH TQ with FSUIPC is to set the "max" and "min" points a tiny bit away from the stops. That way, when I push the lever to max, I know I'm getting 100% travel inside the sim.Also, a quirk of the JS41's outside-the-sim magic is that you can't get full reverse with just the throttle levers. You have to use F2...this isn't that much of a factor in landing, but in shutdown, you need to use F2 to get the props onto the start latches.

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

Beta tester for PMDG J41, NGX, and GFO, Flight1 Super King Air B200, Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang, Flight1 Cessna 182, Flight1 Cessna 177B, Aeroworx B200

Question for you Kurt. I do the same exact thing and was going to mention it but still see the levers (throt a well as anything else I have tied to the axis) constantly jiggle back and forth. I figured this was just an FSXism but I did a test and did set one throttle as you described and then set the other as close as I could get it and the latter seemed to jiggle less. Both do give full power but was wondering if you too see the jiggle with your setup?

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Sorry for little off topic, but I have a question regarding your throttles: are they perfectly in sync, I mean do they set the same power at the same position? I have bought Logitech G940 and it's throttles are totally disaster, sometimes the difference between left and right is 6-7%...

Not sure if your asking me this Grzegorz, but in case you are. I have had several different setups and none are ever 100%, some not even close. My saitek ones aren't that bad but they are indeed not perfect. You can tweak them and play with where one throttle comes in to balance out imperfections in the hardware though, but even then it's never truly 100%

Dan Prunier

Thanks Dan, I was asking both of you but now I have my answer wink.gif I was offered to send it back to Logitech for repairs but I'll think about it, I really hoped that for this price it will work a little better.Thanks!

Thanks for the great responses guys ---- and yes, Kurt I have done that as one of my trial exercises. It did help some.I am not happy at all with the behaviors of the CH throttle. The "pots" that are used on the levers which provide the signal source are absolute junk. I got so mad, I opened up my unit and looked it over, being an ole electronic type in my career.Just the slightest bit of noise from the pots and the levers were jiggling at times really bad. I did manage to get some values and ranges set where they were behaving fairly well, I could never get the full ranges needed to all I wanted to do with the setup.So I am just going to stick with the VC. It works, it is stable, and will serve for right now.I am going to study FSUIPC4 in depth and see if there is any way I can fix some of these behaviors. For what its worth, the throttles on my joystick (Saitek AV8R-01) are far more stable and noise free compared to the CH. Will post any findings that may be of interest on this.Thanks all !!!! Big%20Grin.gif

I found this thread to be very informative. I currently fly with the Saitek X52pro stick and throttle. I really enjoy all the buttons that I can program to do things, and assign colours for each button. But I am looking to ditch it because, well, Boeing airplanes are not flown with a joystick, and the throttle is best operated using your left hand, though I do try and have it operated with my right. My brother has the Saitek Throttle and Yoke setup with rudder pedels, but found them to be a total disaster, the yoke feel is alright, but has limit rotation and is quite hard to fly with, the pedels nose presses can cause crazy signal interference with the yoke, and the throttle is more designed for a Cessna prop plane than a Jetliner. And the reviews on the CH set has not sounded too promising.Anyone outhere can recommend a good yoke and throttle set?

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

Question for you Kurt. I do the same exact thing and was going to mention it but still see the levers (throt a well as anything else I have tied to the axis) constantly jiggle back and forth. I figured this was just an FSXism but I did a test and did set one throttle as you described and then set the other as close as I could get it and the latter seemed to jiggle less. Both do give full power but was wondering if you too see the jiggle with your setup?
Dan, yes, though only when the throttles are not at either max or min. I'd chalked it up as an FSXism, since I see the same thing on other aircraft. It could be an FSUIPCism...in any event, it doesn't seem to affect the operation, just the visual.
I found this thread to be very informative. I currently fly with the Saitek X52pro stick and throttle. I really enjoy all the buttons that I can program to do things, and assign colours for each button. But I am looking to ditch it because, well, Boeing airplanes are not flown with a joystick, and the throttle is best operated using your left hand, though I do try and have it operated with my right. My brother has the Saitek Throttle and Yoke setup with rudder pedels, but found them to be a total disaster, the yoke feel is alright, but has limit rotation and is quite hard to fly with, the pedels nose presses can cause crazy signal interference with the yoke, and the throttle is more designed for a Cessna prop plane than a Jetliner. And the reviews on the CH set has not sounded too promising.Anyone outhere can recommend a good yoke and throttle set?
If you have a 32 bit system, you might look into the Elite stuff. I loved my Elite King Air TQ, but had to ditch it when I moved to a 64 bit system.

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

Beta tester for PMDG J41, NGX, and GFO, Flight1 Super King Air B200, Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang, Flight1 Cessna 182, Flight1 Cessna 177B, Aeroworx B200

Also, a quirk of the JS41's outside-the-sim magic is that you can't get full reverse with just the throttle levers. You have to use F2...this isn't that much of a factor in landing, but in shutdown, you need to use F2 to get the props onto the start latches.
See here