Sign in to follow this  
MeatWater

FS2004: sensational discovery!

The files you install with the vpn download are plain old HTML files and have nothing in them that could cause any problems with the security of your computer or the stability of the game. I even tried to crash my game by writing nasty, malformed, and even malicious javascript and vbscript and nothing happened. In all my testing, the game has not crashed once. The worst thing that has happened is I get an script error dialog box in the game, I hit OK, and everything keeps going as usual. In fact, the in-game browser seems to be safer than Internet Explorer, because much of the functionality and ability to script has been disabled.The files YOU access from the browser within the kneeboard however may cause a problem. Use the same cautions you would when surfing the Web with Internet Explorer. And as was mentioned, all of the security settings, firewall, and virus scan protection you have in IE are present in the kneeboard browser. If you choose to turn off your virus scan program while playing the game (I suggest doing so), then download files at your own risk.I see lots of potential with this kneeboard browser, though there are limitations too. Most of the things I envision probably won't happen until the SDK is released. However, in the meantime, I'm going to work on releasing a Flash-based chat program that allows you a more advanced and user-friendly alternative to the MS Multiplayer Chat in the game. Once the SDK is released, I'd like to build a full-featured in-game browser, without the limitations of the current kneeboard.Until then...-Smitty

Guest CapHavoc

Howdy Len,As I understand it, WeatherCenter, not ActiveSky, holds the current "rights" to FS Browser. Yes, it is freeware, you just cannot download it seperately (download the trial version of WeatherCenter 2.3 and you'll find it in there as a seperate install).

>Pavoo and Ernie,>It`s not only IE minibrowser at all, you don`t know how IE works >and the capability, this is why you are thinking like this, we >can >have all many utility now inside fs2004 if you understand how IE is >capable, did you know that`s you can almost do it >everything with >IE, could make fuel planners, airport information programs, >weather, etc..Chris,Oh I know exactly what it is, I've used it in my own applications.It is indeed a slimmed down version of IE as an ActiveX control available to developers to embed within their applications(ie a mini browser). Its been part of windows API for a few years now.Yes you can do all things you say, but really do you need a fuel planner inside the kneeboard ? And the weather is better suited for more dynamic programs that can update the weather in the sim itself like FSMeteo.Much of what is being touted as a use will in the end be rather impractical. The view is really a bit small to displaycharts. You'll find yourself going outside of FS to your browser to get a full view once you get tired of scrolling around in that little kneeboard window. The extra reference info you can plug in will be nice in many cases, but it in end once the novely wears off, it will not be a big deal.Regards.Ernie.

ea_avsim_sig.jpg

Guest Len

I click the downloads section and there's nothing there. Am I missing something?

Guest Len

Actually here is announcement. The web browser WILL be freeware as well. From ActiveSky Forum: PRESS RELEASEFROM HIFI SIMULATION SOFTWARE8/20/03FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASEDamian Clark has announced that HiFi Simulation Software has recently acquired Simulation Widgets' product line, and will assume all future support and development of the Weather Center 2 and FS Browser products. Weather Center 2 is an outstanding weather add-on that includes many realism-enhancing features, and has recently been fully FS2004 integrated (including station-based weather) with the release of version 2.3. FS Browser is a FREEWARE add-on, soon to be released, that permits web-browsing directly within FS! HiFi will be offering full customer support to all existing WC2 users and will provide updates as necessary to address any future issues. In addition, the code base for WC2/FS Browser will be integrated with ActiveSky (HiFi's existing weather engine) to provide the next-generation weather environment simulation engine for Flight Simulator 2004! Work has begun on integrating the best of both worlds in a single add-on! Keith Kile, Developer and Founder of Simulation Widgets, will be providing support to HiFi in order to assist with the transition and to advise on future development of his core technologies. For more information on Weather Center 2, FS Browser and ActiveSky, visit the HiFi Simulation Software website at http://www.hifisim.com.

Guest CapHavoc

Howdy Len,That's because FS Browser has been "sold" to WeatherCenter (only posted the original link as Michael requested a look at the interface). Do a Google search for WeatherCenter (sorry don't have the url to hand, using the SO's machine in the office at the moment), and read the information. WeatherCenter v2.3 makes use of FS Browser as an interface, and it is included, as a stand alone install, within the latest Novice zip file.

Guest Len

Ok I downloaded it and installed in FS9. How do I open it? Don't seem to be any instructions.

Guest Len

I got it. It's on the top menu items called "browser".

Guest DanWalloch

I'd really like to be able to bring up charts but I've got adobe acrobat which, as many may have figured out, runs really really slow in the kneeboard. Any ideas????

>I'd really like to be able to bring up charts but I've got>adobe acrobat which, as many may have figured out, runs really>really slow in the kneeboard. Any ideas????As described earlier the trick is to have Acrobat running minimized in the background.Also when scrolling through PDF content make sure you use the mouse wheel rather than the scrollbars-------------------MeatWaterProfessional Audio 4 Entertainmentwww.meatwater.com

Hi Len,I got it to work now. Thanks for the help. I will be using the zip file located below. Awesome setup. Screencap below.Thanks Again,Joehttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/34987.jpghttp://aboutpolitics.net/images/banner.gif.Politics - Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death FORUMShttp://pub207.ezboard.com/bpoliticsgivemel...tyorgivemedeath.Contribute to the Richard Harvey Scholarship Fund.http://www.avsim.com/pages/scholarship.shtml

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Just a thought and to see if anyone has an Idea about this.I don't use MSIE for my main browser.I use Firebird, Mozilla's new standalone freeware browser. It blocks popups without loading them, wheras IE sends the MSFS9 back to the desktop.Does anyone know if there is a way to make MSFS9 read Firebird as the default browser?I already went and changed file types .htm & .html to be read by Firebird in folder options, but MSFS9 still loads IE. I am using WinXP Professional.I really don't like IE, and prefer Firebird and their mail client Thunderbird.Any help would be appreciated.Regards,Joehttp://aboutpolitics.net/images/banner.gif.Politics - Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death FORUMShttp://pub207.ezboard.com/bpoliticsgivemel...tyorgivemedeath.Contribute to the Richard Harvey Scholarship Fund.http://www.avsim.com/pages/scholarship.shtml

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Sorry, you're stuck with IE. Well, kind of. Internet Explorer is just a shell for the main MS html processing dll's. In FS, they have created there own shell for the same dll's, so you're stuck with what Microsoft has programmed. Perhaps when the SDK comes out someone will write something that better suits your needs.-Smitty

Guest Scott Campbell

Barry,I did, and so should you, gvien that I constantly commented about it for the ACLoader info file re-writes in html - and a link to the main report file. ;-)The reason I didn't discuss ir is because the kneeboard isn't sizeable, so it's too small for much use. And I have a perfectly good Netscape browser I use on the second monitor along with any app I want to use while I'm flying.