Sign in to follow this  
brucek

Pattern flying

Guest DLM

Read through what the pilot said and then what tower responded and tell me why the pilot didn

Hi Daniel,Is this a trick question? :)I fly into BJC (Jeffco, CO, a Class D facility) in a C172, and although I may be aligned with 29R or 29L, often get this clearance to report on base. The Tower doesn't want me cluttering up his final approach if there's a jet or an instrument arrival that's imminent. The idea of reporting base, is that Tower can tell you to hold or otherwise vector you for landing traffic that may have a higher priority or speed.It's common for new pilots (as I am) to request reporting downwind, which puts you into more of a standard pattern for landing.Bruce.

Guest jrewing

A tower controller might tell you to "proceed straight in, runway 27 left" if there is no other traffic in the pattern or about to land or take off on 27 left. If they want to sequence you for some reason, they could tell you to "report 2 mile left base for runway 27 left." If you're told to report on the base leg, the controller should give you a distance, too. They might need to sequence you to allow time for the wake turbulence from a departing jet to subside or to allow time for another aircraft to cross the runway, or to taxi clear of the runway.I was once approaching Santa Rosa from the North and the active runway was 14. I expected to be told to proceed straight in for runway 14, but there was considerable haze in the air from a nearby fire. The controller asked me to report crossing the runway 14 threshold at or above 1500' . When I reported over the threshold and the controller had me in sight through the haze, she instructed me to cross mid-field, then make a right turn and descend into right downwind for rwy 14.Anytime you want to know why you're being told to do something other than what you requested or expected, just ask and the controller will tell you the reason.John

Guest DLM

Bruce,No, no trick question although i understand if it can look that way ;-)Thanks both for the answers!I just found it strange why i couldn

Hi Daniel,Actually- that's a very good question you asked. It applies very much to real-world flying. I'm not sure if FS2002 ATC asked you to do this or not, it's sometimes a little "robotic" in the approach and departure modes.Bruce.