Sign in to follow this  
peppy197

considering a 15-760

Anyone have any idea on how limited I will be with an i5-760 CPU ? for OC with a WC?Its cheap and the MOBOs and RAM are cheaper than with the i7sIt does not have hyperthreading. Id never use HT anyway...Allen

With a good cooler, it looks like you should be able to hit 4 GHz with one of those. FSX loves raw speed, and that's a lot of it. I'd say go for it.If I had it to do over again, I might have done that to save a little bit of money... but then I may have wondered what I was missing if I didn't get what I had now, haha.

With a good cooler, it looks like you should be able to hit 4 GHz with one of those. FSX loves raw speed, and that's a lot of it. I'd say go for it.If I had it to do over again, I might have done that to save a little bit of money... but then I may have wondered what I was missing if I didn't get what I had now, haha.
My second option is for what you have, the i7-930, but the only benefits I see is HT, which I wont use, and tripple channel RAM instaed of dual, of which I have no clue what is what nor for what....allen

Triple channel RAM basically just gives you six RAM slots instead of four, with the idea that you'd use them in threes instead of twos. With triple channel RAM, 6GB (3x2GB) is the norm, rather than 4GB (2x2GB). Of course, you can still use a triple-channel motherboard with just two DIMMs, but they're optimized for use with three or six.Don't bother with the 930 at this point, though, unless you can get a good deal on one. Intel has lowered the price of the 950s to the 930's price point. Any 930s you see now are mostly just leftover stock.

Anyone have any idea on how limited I will be with an i5-760 CPU ? for OC with a WC?Its cheap and the MOBOs and RAM are cheaper than with the i7sIt does not have hyperthreading. Id never use HT anyway...Allen
I've been able to achieve 4GHz on my i5-750 on air easily. Water cooling the thing lowered the temperatures considerably, but the maximum overclock didn't go up much. The 4GHz number is the sweet spot by the looks of it. Anything above requires a lot of voltage for minimal speed gain.

Guest TomOOO
The i5-7xx series chip will work well with with FSX as you are correct, FSX does not implement hyperthreading. Withouthyperthreading the chip will clock better as hyperthreading doesproduce excess heat. It also has a 8MB primary cache which is good.

I've been able to achieve 4GHz on my i5-750 on air easily. Water cooling the thing lowered the temperatures considerably, but the maximum overclock didn't go up much. The 4GHz number is the sweet spot by the looks of it. Anything above requires a lot of voltage for minimal speed gain.
Hi what sort of frames gain did you make in fsx-flying heaveies at medium setting.many thanks.Qas

I never actually tested the frames with stock CPU speed, but I've always wanted to do it. At the moment, I get 35+ frames with PMDG MD11, FlyTampa Boston, an overcast of 4096x4096 REX clouds and ASE - at FULL HD resolution. All sliders (except Autogen which annoys me by it's presence) are maxed out. Adding Autogen in the picture increases loading times, but doesn't reduce FPS by more than 1.

I'm using an i5-750 running at 3.8GHz using a cheap Akasa Freedom Tower air cooler and FSX runs very smoothly at a constant 30FPS (locked) with very high graphics settings. Of course you would be able to get a little bit more with i7 but if your more interested in 'bang for your buck' you will be very happy with it. With FSX it works great, I'd guess you get about 90% of the performance for about 70% of the price.

Guest chris493

Ivan- are you using any tweaks at all with that? Or is that an unmodded FSX.cfg?

I'm using all the standard tweaks (AffinityMask,BufferPools,ShaderMod, HighMemFix) and a few terrain values changed to make it look better (LOD Radius, etc...)ShaderMod by far makes the most difference in sheer frame rates - without it, I get about 20, with it over 30 in most demanding situations.

Guest chris493

Is shader mod the support for shader 3.0?

The i5-760 CPU @ 4 GHz is excellent for FSX. You get a rather low cost high performing system. Go for it!

Best regards from RelaxX

Guest c0reym

Have you considered waiting for the new Sandy Bridge chips?