Sign in to follow this  
maf

the internet connection from h...

Hi!As of right now, my emotions are flying high, my blood is boiling, my nerves are shaking and im just mad at my stationary computerthat i wish to hang, burn, stab and bomb all at once. My problem is this: Im not able to get it online.. This is the challenge of a lifetime for me, is it for you?Let me fill you in with the issues im currently dealing with:-About medio-August me and my wife decided to get our own internet-connection because our cheapskate neighbour (whom we paid to get wireless internet from) didnt care to get her non-working router fixed.. -We got ourselves a mobile wireless internet connection from a Scandinavian company called ICE because we got a great offer from them which we couldnt refuse.Along with this subscription came a D-35 broadband router which made it possible for us to have two or more computers on at the same time.-My wifes laptop runs Win 7, while my laptop is using Win XP SP2 and so is my stationary. My laptop is from medio 2007 and has Win XP SP2. This laptop connects to the internet easily with a Wi-Fi.-Today i bought a wireless USB adapter for my stationary computer (which runs on Win XP SP2 and is from 2004, its old but i`ve kept it going strong by not overloading it and cleaning it often as well). This adapter is a D-link DWL-G122 that came with a cd containing a driver. I installed it and it was able to find our wireless router. And here the trouble starts:Its just sitting there trying to get an IP-adress, but is not able to do so. It keeps on trying and trying and trying, but nothing happens. So i reset therouter and tried to access it via the browser with its personal ip-adress to configure it again.. did not work.. I connected my stationary with the router via an ethernet cable, but the same thing happened here as well, its taking forever to get an ip-adress, which it never eventually does get.Then i made an ad-hoc network from my wifes Win 7 laptop. My stationary pc`s wireless USB adapter from D-link was able to find it, but just could not connect toit.. I installed new drivers, returned to the old drivers, downloaded a new D-link driver which didnt work, and finally i tried to use my own laptop to help my stationary pc go online. I simply made a new local network, put a cable between the stationary and my Win XP laptop, but once again my stationaryjust could not get a valid IP-adress, in fact it couldnt get an IP-adress at all!!!....Ive called tech-support for our internet supplier, and they couldnt help.. The guy on the phone just told me that my stationary Win XPwas the root of the problems.. WHAT!! But its Win XP SP2 on it, just as my laptop, so it really shouldnt be a problem.. I dont know what to do anymore.. And the reason for why Im so mad is because ive ordered the PMDG 747-400 boxed edition from Aerosoft, whichis to be installed on the stationary computer and guess what; I need a live internet connection to be able to install it.. great,, just great...Any help, any help at all, will be greatly appreciated!!

Yngve Giljebrekke
ENZV NSB

Hey,OK, first things first. Would recommend you get the XP laptop upgraded to SP3; here. That's the full version, so won't need your laptop connected to the internet when you install it :)Once you've done that, can you try giving your network adapter a static IP? If you are unsure, there's a quick and dirty guide here . Does that work at all? If not, post back with some of the error messages (if any) that come up. There are some other things to try as well, but your best bet to start with is going to SP3..Let us know how you get on!

Louise

London, UK

Try this. Open Network Connections. Right click your wireless connection. Select Properties. Select Wireless Networks tab. Check "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings". On the taskbar right click the computer icon(monitor with beams coming out of it),select "View availible wireless networks, select your router. This bypasses any D-link software you have installed. If it hooks up, great. If not, continue.If you haven't installed d-link software,then don't. If you have, delete it. If you can, install only the drivers from the disc to a folder somewhere of your choice. Probably easier to go to the D-link website and download drivers from there. Extract them to your folder of choice. Plug in your wireless adapter. When the Install new hardware wizard comes up, point it to your folder of choice to install your drivers. Select your connection as above.Good luckBob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Folks!Thank you for instant feedback. I will most certainly follow up on all tips and advices here. Its probably gonnatake a while since im a little bit busy. I will keep u updated with my new attempts at making this work.. and im reallygonna need some motivation now, im just about to give up on this hopeless endavour..

Yngve Giljebrekke
ENZV NSB

Okay, i finally found out whats causing theese problems. The drivers on Win XP are both too old and too problematic for the current wireless connectionI have in my house. Ive tried everything here now, but its just not possible to get it to work. I installed new drivers for it and all, I realize that i`ll have to install WIN XP SP3 or get a new computer. A guy on tech support told me that WIN Xp was problematic towards their wireless mobile internet.And im doing the latter. I realize that since my computer is six years old, its time to change it with something newer that contains Win7..I thank the both of you for the help with this impossible task! I most certainly tried it out, but it did not help. Thank you anyways!

Yngve Giljebrekke
ENZV NSB

Hmmm...While I agree that you should get SP3, I've hooked up to my not-too-old Actiontec with SP1. You might get SP3 and the latest drivers for you wireless card, and see what happens.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.