Sign in to follow this  
glsimpilot

CH PRO Yoke and Pedal MS Flight Simmers...

I'm new to using a set of CH Pro pedals and yoke (USB) but what I have done with MS FS 2004 so far has made it a fun investment. If there is a post where this is already discussed let me know! I don't want to recreate the wheel. Basically I'm looking for some recommendations on how the rudder pedals should feel? I'm looking at the CH Control Manager here and it seems like I can tweak the pedal z axis settings in DEAD ZONE and SENSITIVITY. Plus there's other options within a box (invert/center GAIN) Well if I had a point of reference to know what it felt like with in a real plane when you use the rudder pedals I would be able to tweak this a bit easier. Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should use for these settings? Right now when I use the rudder pedals in flight they seem too much of something, can't put my finger on it exactly since I'm really trying to get the feel for flying with them now.If there is a fan website perhaps that explains how to do a little more with this hardware that would be great.Suggestions? Recommendations?Thanks!! Happy Simming!

One man's opinion ... if they are working now with no peaks and troughs ... leave 'em be. CH Control Manager can open a can of worms, and I use it only for the occasional button programming on my yoke. If your pedals are working by default in FS9, go flying!Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Well it works.. Just feels like it could *FEEL* better.. Maybe a BIT more control... I'll play with it...

After some bad experience, I would leave Control Manager alone. My yoke and pedals work perfectly well by themselves.Roger

Roger

See my specs in my profile

Out of curiosity, what type of problems did you experience? Was it with the latest version of the ch manager?

I have read the comment that the pedals aren't as stiff as on a "real" plane, and need stronger springs, but as a sim-only pilot, I've never had anything to compare with, and like mine just fine. Mine are the gamesport version.Alastair

As a simpilot we need to make some concessions obviously. I can deal with it not being 100% because I know it can't be. :-) I was wondering if the YAW of the nose you see when you press down on the pedals in either direction, and the SNAP BACK of the planes nose is at all similar to what really happens.I'm really trying to get the hang of lining up with runways with this new setup as I have never used pedals before.

In the air use of the pedals will invoke yaw, certainly, as if you use them you are moving the rudder off centre: necessarily, of course, in any sort of cross wind situation. You will also find your pedals to be a delight when banking and turning the aircraft, as you will be able to properly turn into the manoeuvre and avoid sideslip. Feels very satisfying when you get it right.On the ground, of course, your pedals become your ground steering. If you're finding them a little sloppy (they tend to be), try to get used to using them in coordination with a touch of left and right brake occasionally. And with independent engine input, you're laughing.The first time you ever taxi with pedals, it's hard to keep those hands off the yoke/stick, isn't it. Must be for the real guys too. But it's great when you get the hang of it. And it'll totally change the way you can control rotorcraft, of course. If I don't get to fly a helicopter at least once a day, I start whimpering feverishly in the corner ....Mark "Dark Moment" BeaumontP.S. You do, of course, need to disable AUTOCOORDINATION in FS9, unless you're flying a state-of-the-art Airbus or something equivalent which (I think) does all by computer off the twiddly little joystick the lads get these days, which is no bigger than a Sidewinder. Not sure on this, Airboxes are not my thing.http://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

It definitely adds to the simulator's experience.There are little things to get used to for sure.. Like when on the runway and you set power to max. I find I really need to work the rudder to keep it on the centerline.Right now I can never keep it on the centerline. Just like landing right now.. I can smoothly get down.. but as far as runway lining up, not too good. I guess that *FEEL* will just come with time.I remember years ago with FS98 I was getting it right on back in the *DAY*.That's when its REALLY fun. When you can do everything you want and do it pretty well its fun as heck.