Sign in to follow this  
siggy

FS2004 ATC woes leaving YSSY

Hi,Has everyone else noticed anomalies with ATC in the southern hemisphere ? Have left YSSY twice on Rwy 34L for YMAY and ATC misdirected me both times.After takeoff I was told heading 95 then either heading 155 or 170 and that continued until I was at least 60NM or more off track. I got a bit impatient then and switched to 16x speed and some time during that ATC cancelled the IFR clearance :-).It is also not the right thing to do to turn right after takeoff from 34L (one would cross traffic departing on 34R), but this can be forgiven as the general ATC in FS cannot know local rules I reckon ?Cheers,Siggy

Siggy Schwarz

I don't know about the first part of your question.I have found that if you get yourself going on course immediately correctly-atc seems to do a better job. I'd try the flight a couple times and see if it keeps happening.But regarding the second -"It is also not the right thing to do to turn right after takeoff from 34L (one would cross traffic departing on 34R)"-....if there is no conflicting traffic on the parallel runway or inbound-atc could very well have you turn right. Atc in the real world usually tries to get you going on your way as quickly and efficiently as they can. I operate often out of an airport with parallel runways-and often they will approve a departing turn over the parallel runway nextdoor-traffic permitting.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/Geofdog2.jpg

Thanks for the info on turning right after T/O from 34L !I did the turns as fast as possible. Something must be wrong there.Cheers,Siggy

Siggy Schwarz

NOt so much the turns-but perhaps turn your gps on and get established on your course line-see if the screwy vectors happen in that case. What I have found is if you don't get established pretty well-atc seems to give you a big turn to one direction-then send you over it-then another turn back-and so on. I have also found that if you get established before atc starts doing this-things seem to go well.See if that is the results-it could just be a bug for that airport too!http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/Geofdog2.jpg

This is all happening real quick. Once I contact Sydney Departure I am told to turn to heading 095 and proceed with own navigation. Even if I connect the GPS to the A/P before reaching 095 Sydney Departure tells me to turn to somewhere between 155 and 175 and then leave me alone for 20 minutes or so although I should be heading west to Albury.Cheers,Siggy

Siggy Schwarz

Guest akirabbq

This happens to me as well when the first waypoint is located too close to the departure airport. If you use FSNav or other flight planners to build a flight plan, the first waypoint is very likely to be a VOR station located at the departure airport (for tracking the jetway). The ATC seems have problem for let going the first waypoint in the above case, so it will direct u to somewhere in the desert. :)Try removing the first waypoint form the flight plan to see if it helps.

Hi Alan,Thank you so much ! This was the solution. I had the SY VOR as the first waypoint. Once this was deleted the departure routing was completely different, it did no longer include the nice city views :-(, but I was no longer sent to the desert (or Tasman Sea here) :-).I created the flight plan with the built-in flight planner. Guess I should have done better planning and don't trust the electronics so much.Almost thought we are back in FS5.1 times when ILSes did not work properly in the southern hemisphere.I did set up the weather to have the wind coming from the west for Albury but that only took effect once I got very close to it. Before ATC indicated to expect landing from the west. Perhaps need to setup a few more reporting stations along the way to make it more real life.Cheers,Siggy

Siggy Schwarz