Sign in to follow this  
Guest FlaaklypaGranPrix

Upgrade Rookie

Guest FlaaklypaGranPrix

Hi,I'm looking to upgrade my desktop as it doesn't seem to cut it anymore,especially when it comes to games like Empire Total War ( gotta luv it! ).It's getting kinda irritating mad.gif Yes, i've checked and theres no software jamming.I've read a lot of different stuff about this machine but people inn here seems to know their stuff so...I happy with my prosessor. But i'd grateful for some pointers on graphic card: like how much more eye candy can i expect to get out of ETW and the new one ( Shogun something like that )with maxed out memory and graphics ( preferbly without installing a beefed-up PSU ).Heard the 250GTS is good but wolut it fit without a power upgrade ( not doing that )....Any suggestions, both nvidia and ati whatever, would be very niceThank you!My current specs are:Model: Dell Dimension 9200Prosessor: Q6600 2.4GhzMotherboard: Model: 0CT017, manufactured by DellMemory: 2x1024 MB ( 333MHz ) DDR2 QuimondaGraphics: nVidia GeForce 8600 GTSPSU: 375WHard drive 500GB

Hi,I'm looking to upgrade my desktop as it doesn't seem to cut it anymore,especially when it comes to games like Empire Total War ( gotta luv it! ).It's getting kinda irritating mad.gif Yes, i've checked and theres no software jamming.I've read a lot of different stuff about this machine but people inn here seems to know their stuff so...I happy with my prosessor. But i'd grateful for some pointers on graphic card: like how much more eye candy can i expect to get out of ETW and the new one ( Shogun something like that )with maxed out memory and graphics ( preferbly without installing a beefed-up PSU ).Heard the 250GTS is good but wolut it fit without a power upgrade ( not doing that )....Any suggestions, both nvidia and ati whatever, would be very niceThank you!My current specs are:Model: Dell Dimension 9200Prosessor: Q6600 2.4GhzMotherboard: Model: 0CT017, manufactured by DellMemory: 2x1024 MB ( 333MHz ) DDR2 QuimondaGraphics: nVidia GeForce 8600 GTSPSU: 375WHard drive 500GB
Yea with that PSU your options are so limited maybe you could check out a 8800GTX or an Nvidia 8800GTS i'm not sure exactly if your PSU has enough juice but there's a good chance.

Guest FlaaklypaGranPrix

Thanks iæll check it out<_<

Yea with that PSU your options are so limited maybe you could check out a 8800GTX or an Nvidia 8800GTS i'm not sure exactly if your PSU has enough juice but there's a good chance.

Guest FlaaklypaGranPrix

Thanks for the response...maybe that's what I should do, but will it fit in the dell. Heard the make is not the easisest to upgrade...Does anyone else have an opinion....:Applause:

Yea it's too bad, maybe you can get a really cheap 700W PSU though?

Guest FlaaklypaGranPrix

not possible im afraid.

Can you show me a picture of the inside of your case.

Guest FlaaklypaGranPrix

really.I'm told the motherboard is really picky, but if its just a matter of space, i might just get a psu.Anyway, really glad i cancelled the gt 220, that card looks really crap.

No worries got a picture right here : http://www.acltd.dem...Desktop-PC.htmlAnyway what's the problem, you could fit any PSU there!

Guest simmer9304

I ran into the same problem as you with PSU problems and upgrading a few months ago. My only solution was ditch the Dell.Their cases are too small, power supplies weak, some use BTX instead of ATX, low quality components, etc.Take what parts you can and look into building your own system.

Prosessor: Q6600 2.4GhzMotherboard: Model: 0CT017, manufactured by DellMemory: 2x1024 MB ( 333MHz ) DDR2 QuimondaGraphics: nVidia GeForce 8600 GTSPSU: 375WFrom the top, the CPU isn't good enough, the memory (333Mhz), I thought my 800 was pants, is woeful. Get rid of that graphics card and do something about the PSU. Apart from those things you have a great PC!!Sarcasm over, you need to think about starting from scratch. Most people I know who own Dells say they can't do anything with them, such as component upgrade and overclocking. Have a look at the many threads on here and other websites to get an idea of what would make a great rig.

really.I'm told the motherboard is really picky, but if its just a matter of space, i might just get a psu.Anyway, really glad i cancelled the gt 220, that card looks really crap.
Well I bought the gt220 for testing with my old system, and to be honest it's not a bad GPU at all !!!! It performs well and it's quite cheap ! Geforce is better for FS than ATI for clouds etc The looks of a card doesnt say a thing ;)

Really I think you would get more for your money, if you simply start from scratch.At my work I acquire Dells, but we use them for a strict set of applications that of course do not match FSX in terms of perf requirements. They do not need to be upgraded, they don't need 700w psu's, and they don't have to be clocked., and they don't have to run FSX.The Dells do a good job for what we use them for. But for FSX, short of an alienware dell rig, I think you'd get more for your money ditching that machine and going with a new custom machine.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Really I think you would get more for your money, if you simply start from scratch.At my work I acquire Dells, but we use them for a strict set of applications that of course do not match FSX in terms of perf requirements. They do not need to be upgraded, they don't need 700w psu's, and they don't have to be clocked., and they don't have to run FSX.The Dells do a good job for what we use them for. But for FSX, short of an alienware dell rig, I think you'd get more for your money ditching that machine and going with a new custom machine.
but not everyone is able to build a rig, it's not easy!

but not everyone is able to build a rig, it's not easy!
HelloNot easy?, You plug cards into slots and connect a few wires.what is hard about that?