Sign in to follow this  
Guest estevesm

Failures in FS9

Guest estevesm

Hi All,Is anyone using the failures option in FS9? Comments?Or is everybody waiting until FS Maintenance works in FS9? :-)Marcelo

I have used the instructor mode with a friend connected via multiplayer to do failures.Lots of fun-can changde the weather he experienced on the flight at a whim-along with any systems failures. Had him takoff on a nice sunny day-suddenly threw him in some fog , then rain and icing and then failed his AH! Cool stuff! :-)http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/Geofdog2.jpg

Guest estevesm

It sounds interesting, but Lago's FSM is clearly better (although it doesn't support piston planes... :(I think it's more fun when you don't know which systems will fail (or not at all). It's also better to have the ability to reset the reliability of each system and have them change according to the way you fly....Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait...

Guest estevesm

That's sound like fun! Although more real the "Failures" option in FS9, it requires two people to do that... and for me it's hard to convince my wife to sit at a desk and change the weather/failures so I can have fun... :-)

Guest wathomas777

Speaking of which, is there a way in FS9 to setup a "random" failure scenario. Since real pilots don't get to know "ahead of time" what will fail, how about the same applying to Flight Simulator 9. It really shouldn't be hard to do.

Guest Stompy

No, there isn't, and it seems to be pretty much the exact same failure system that was in 2K. So yeah, it really blows, and no I don't use it. My guess is that, similar to not enabling crash effects by default, they didn't want to give people the impression that these things just spontaneously stopped working all the time. That's all well and good, but come on...I don't know why they thought that was a good idea. Setting something to randomly fail between now and 40 minutes just isn't all that random, is it?I can't wait to get my hands on one of those real random failure programs.Sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine. :-)

The "random" failure that gets most pilots killed statistically a year is getting into bad weather (vfr into ifr-or just over the pilot's experience). The other highest cause is running out of gas-not so much a failure but bad judgement-and pretty simple to do that one on fs! :-)Again-the instructor module with a friend in multiplayer is the most realistic way to schedule failures-including weather. You truly won't have any idea of what hit you until it occurs-and the ability to change weather conditions on the fly allows you to simulate that highest statistic-with of course a few unexpected instrument/system failures if you wish also.The "instructor" can also see on the live how the "student" is doing-and communicate through chat.I am sure this is the most underused feature of fs-but it is a very powerful one-kinda of a "flight safety" package only $1000's of dollars cheaper. Give it a try!http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/Geofdog2.jpg

Guest estevesm

Thanks for the tip, Rick. I'll give it a try, but I don't know if it will work in FS9...

Guest estevesm

>No, there isn't, and it seems to be pretty much the exact>same failure system that was in 2K. So yeah, it really blows,>and no I don't use it. My guess is that, similar to not>enabling crash effects by default, they didn't want to give>people the impression that these things just spontaneously>stopped working all the time. That's all well and good, but>come on...That's what I thought and I totally agree with you.>>I don't know why they thought that was a good idea. Setting>something to randomly fail between now and 40 minutes just>isn't all that random, is it?That's why I don't use it. I don't want to say: "My AH will fail between now and 30 minutes." I'll be waiting for it... only the time will be random not the failure itself. And the failure is not based on aircraft use.>>I can't wait to get my hands on one of those real random>failure programs.>>Sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine. :-)

Guest estevesm

Geofa,I agree with you, the interface between the seat and the yoke is usually the cause of most of accidents... :-)Talking about the instructor module, maybe we should setup a group, or something (especially now that we have AVSIM flight school) where instructors (or common people) could offer to play the "Weather and Failure God" role for some people with interest in real ramdom weather, failures, etc... I'm for one would be willing to play both as a pilot and as a instructor...