Sign in to follow this  
Guest product

FS2004 with both Yoke and Stick- Causes Problems?

Guest product

Hello,I recall reading (I believe in the "read me" on installing FS9) that Microsoft says not to have two controllers connected that control the same surfaces- ie both a yoke and a joystick- plugged into your computer at the same time, as it can cause stutters or other problems in FS9.I currently use a yoke for GA flying, but would like to add a joystick in order to fly another aircraft like the cub- But I don't want to have to switch all the time, plugging one in and taking the other out, reprogramming the keys, etc.Has anyone tried a setup like this, and do the problems Microsoft warns of indeed occur?Best,Joel

Haven't read the MS README (ha - when all else fails, read the instructions ...) but I can confirm that I have yoke, pedals and stick all set up together in FS9. All you have to make sure of is that you have certain things disabled on one or the other to avoid conflicts. I found, for example, that it's essential to disable the stick twist grip (not needed anyway with pedals) and the stick's throttle (again, superfluous). That was all, in my own case. Otherwise, it can certainly be done.I set assignments etc. in FS9 but make sure my gear is calibrated properly. The equipment didn't "settle down" as nicely as it did in FS2002, to start with, so I simply copied all my settings out of FS2002.CFG to FS9.CFG. Now it's perfect.May vary from setup to setup, but I should go ahead and buy your stick. I have used the Logitech Wingman Extreme 3D for yonks, which is just fantastic. Not the FF version, mind you, which is for kids: it's like flying an aircraft while sitting in a bowl of jelly, whilst slowly losing all use of your right hand as it shakes to bits. I bought one in my ignorance, but now use it as a bookend.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Hi Joel,As long as you make sure that one FS axis is, at any time, configured to be driven by only ONE external controller axis, there's no problem at all.I have 5 controllers (Yoke, joystick, steering wheel, and two USB convertors) permanantly connected to my PC, which I use in different combinations. However, for each combination I use a different setup, both for controller axis and buttons.How to do that, read:http://home.planet.nl/~rcbarend/extern/controllers.htmespecially the section "multi-controller configurations".Rob

Rob's right that it's the axes that can cause conflicts (because they're rheostats rather than switches? I'm no techie) in that weird spikes and holes appear in their function; but I should only say that in a lot of fiddling, it's only ever rudder and throttle that have caused me headaches personally. Roll and pitch are permanently enabled on both yoke and joystick on a single setup which never has to be changed whilst flying FS in either FS2002 or FS2004.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Mark,If you don't have problems with roll/pitch axis when they are driven by two controller axis, you're just lucky :-)Some background (I AM a techie :-) ):FS only "sees" an external controller axis when it detects a change, either by an intentional move or by a "jittering" axis; the latter being very common with gameport controllers. FS just reacts to the last change of any controller axis assigned to a certain FS function axis. So in your case it means that that the rudder/throttle axis are less stable than the ailerons/elevator axis.But, when using the stick, just touch/move your yoke; you WILL see interference :-) Cheers, RobPS: OT: Your and my Email address must be in lots of flightsimmers address books; I have received dozens of virus mails lately with your ("spoofed") address as originator :-)

Guest Holliday

I have a HOTAS for jets and a yoke for GA aircraft. I avoid a lot of problems by using different shortcuts and different config files for each setup. I also have a shortcut and config file just for screen shots.

<<<>>Sure, yes, because they both have input. But as long as I leave whichever I'm not using alone, things are fine. Must be lucky there, as you say. <<<>>>>>>Ahhhhhhh ... this starts to explain things. I have had lots of "undeliverable mail" security bounce-backs recently (since SOBIG) with my name shown within as originator ... but I've combed my system thoroughly - very regularly, too - and there's nothing there. So THAT'S what happens .... guess the only way out of that is through the course of time? Or should I dump the rogue email address, Rob? Too late for that, maybe, and anyway that would cause me a lot of headaches. It's in 100,000 downloaded READMEs, for a start!Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

<>Mark,You can use spam filters or alike, but that requires constant maintenance. I'm afraid the only effective way is to change Email address, but again that's only a temporary solution since appearantly a lot of simmers are just too ignorant/stupid/lazy to protect their PC's properly :-(. For which people like us pay the price :-(And the most irritating thing are those mail servers that swamp us with Email warnings that we might have sent a virus (because somebody elses PC uses our spoofed address).One way of solving this problem permanently could be (if you have a web page somewhere): don't publish your EMail address in a readme, but instead a URL which states your actual Email address. So you can change that when necessary and still enable flightsimmers to contact you. Cheers, Rob

Guest product

I like the idea of setting up different shortcuts with different .cfg files for each controller, I'm not a real computer wizard, could you walk me through the steps to do that?Thanks,Joel