Sign in to follow this  
Chuck_B

Ground Environment Pro on a WideClient

After a number of years of non-use, I'm re-installing my Ground Environment Pro and need to put it on the same WideClient machine my Active Sky Evolution. Can somebody jog my memory and tell me on which machine I need to build my custom textures in GE Pro? On the WideClient, or the Server/FS9 machine? (I couldn't find the old thread here using the search engine -- my shortcoming, I know!)Thank you! EDIT: Just to make this a little more complicated, I also have an istall of FS9 on the WideClient from years ago too. Will GE Pro automatically "pass" any new textures across my network to the correct machine? IOW, will it follow ASE's lead in "where to go"?

Hi,You need to uninstall that FS9 install on the client computer.GEP textures get built on the client computer.Then you use the GEP icon in ASE.

Curious about this because I too am about to reinstall GE after years of it lying at the back of the cupboard (so to speak) for being "too much trouble for too little effect". I have just discovered that ASE will auto-select an appropriate set of texture.Install GE on Client, let ASE select the GE textures and everything gets sent over the network?Whats the advantage in having GE on the Client? Less work for the Server? But what if the client has a less powerful engine than the Server - isnt that going to slow things down and make the Server-resource-saving irrelevant.ThanksNicholas

For me, it's just a matter of one less REALLY HUGE program and associated texture sets on my Flight Sim computer, and 2) I just wanted to try it. My other machine is FAR less powerful but since you can basically close GEPro after the textures are installed, I don't see much of a performance issue with it. My main concern is the one I had when I first uninstalled it -- the same one you had. Is it too much for too little effect. I'd be interested to know others opinions expecially when you compare it to other, later options like FScene or even Bird's Eye View.

FScene is a bit disappointing in that the whole world still looks the same, only brighter and more contrasty, which to be fair does give a better sense of depth. I have it for Europe and S.America, but to be honest I dont see any difference between the two continents. I live in Brasil I would have liked to have seen much redder earth and much stronger greens.BEV: wow, well thats a load of work to set up too. But I only have it for the US and after setting up the city/town and agricultural textures it certainly makes a difference in the way places look compared to the rest of the world.GE still seems like a lot of trouble - and if the weather changes from rainy to sunny along the route I will end up with the "wrong" textures upon arrival.Probably not going to bother.

I bought FScene for the autogen enhancement, and I do notice a difference. Brighter colored houses on the islands, etc. Just better. No effect on ground textures, so I agree with you there.Bird's Eye View is a more all encompassing addition, and for me is probably GEPro's biggest competitor right now. But it's 5 years old and I'm afraid may be adding unneeded frame rate drag on my system. GE Pro is a HUGE pain to install for every flight, but it SEEMS to have the greatest realism for ground textures and from what I've seen my last 3 flights is a dramatic improvement, especially when coming down from FL350 -- I don't know yet, need more time to study it's effects.Then there's REX, which gives me great looking sky, sun, runway textures and clouds, but takes FOREVER to install. And if I have to do it before every flight, I'm afraid either it or GEPro is going to have to go.I'm going to start another thread about what overwrites what, and that may be my answer.