Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

Joystick Pitch Realism in Flight Simulator

The main limitations with the "Control Loading" issues in any generic or multi-aircraft commercially available flight simulators are:1. The vendor doesn't know what the user may be using for their control system, i.e., joystick, yoke, pedals, with force-feedback, w/o force-feedback.2. Cost. If the vendor tried to incorporate the necessary force/position data for the hundreds of control system devices, the cost of the flight simulator would be beyond reach.3. Lack of control loading data. The data exists, however, many aircraft manufacturers don't publish the data.My experience was procuring flight simulators for the U.S. Navy. One of the first tasks of the flight simulator designer was to obtain the control loading data from the aircraft manufacturer, U.S. Navy aircraft test results, and actual measurment of force/position data in the aircraft, both statically and dynamically. Once the data were collected and reduced, it was provided to a control loading vendor for incorporation into a specific control loader for the aircraft being simulated.Your experiences with the particular flight simulator described is accurate and will probably never be resolved due to the limitations listed above.After 20 years of buying flight simulators, I finally started flight lessons in the Cessna 172SP. I stopped flying the flight simulator because it was giving me negative training for the reasons you listed. Since I use a non-FF joystick (spring centered) for the flight simulator, which I can move anywere with less than 2 pounds. The actual aircraft, with yoke/pedals, exhibits much greater resistance to movement.W. Sieffert