Sign in to follow this  
awais1407

I've finally switched to using VC mode

In preparation for the upcoming 737NGX, after viewing those beautiful VC previews, I thought perhaps it is finally time to make the change. We are at a level now where the quality of the VC is as good or perhaps even better than any static 2D image.I've always been a big fan of 2D panels, but from now on I will use the VC. I done a few test flights in the 747 and MD-11, and I have to say, it is definitely a much more immersive experience.So yay another VC user :-)

In preparation for the upcoming 737NGX, after viewing those beautiful VC previews, I thought perhaps it is finally time to make the change. We are at a level now where the quality of the VC is as good or perhaps even better than any static 2D image.I've always been a big fan of 2D panels, but from now on I will use the VC. I done a few test flights in the 747 and MD-11, and I have to say, it is definitely a much more immersive experience.So yay another VC user :-)
What clinched it for me when I switched was when I discovered that holding the space bar down, then moving the mouse and scrolling the mouse wheel manipulated the view. I never knew this before. Now moving around the VC for me is as close to having a TrackIR as I can get.Without this very simple way of moving the view around, I'd agree with all those 2D-panel-or-nothing guys. The way mine is set up is that on my main monitor it's always the VC. Then I set up the secondary 2D panels on the left monitor (overhead, throttle, comms).

Noah Bryant

Speaking of which, is there an easier solution for panning around?When I am hand flying it is problematic for me to let go of the joystick, hold space and then use my mouse. I don't like the idea of pressing shift-o each time either.Ideally I would like to enable/disable pan mode with a mouse click instead of using the keyboard, is that possible?

Speaking of which, is there an easier solution for panning around?When I am hand flying it is problematic for me to let go of the joystick, hold space and then use my mouse. I don't like the idea of pressing shift-o each time either.Ideally I would like to enable/disable pan mode with a mouse click instead of using the keyboard, is that possible?
There's "View track/pan (toggle)" in controls/views, You can try it.rolleyes.gif

Guys, Guys, Guys,Do yourselves a HUGE favor and invest in a Track IR by Naturalpoint. If you haven't seen one on action, go to the Naturalpoint.com website and check out the video. I REFUSE to fly any simulation without it! And you'll wonder how you ever did without it too!Terry Swindle (realworld airline pilot)

Guys, Guys, Guys,Do yourselves a HUGE favor and invest in a Track IR by Naturalpoint. If you haven't seen one on action, go to the Naturalpoint.com website and check out the video. I REFUSE to fly any simulation without it! And you'll wonder how you ever did without it too!Terry Swindle (realworld airline pilot)
BTW, for those of you discovering VCs, in addition to holding down the space bar and moving the mouse to pan, you can also roll your mouse wheel to zoom in and out while holding the space bar, and in addition, Control+Space resets your view.

Vin Scimone

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team_FB.jpg

What clinched it for me when I switched was when I discovered that holding the space bar down, then moving the mouse and scrolling the mouse wheel manipulated the view.
Same, since FSX I can never go back.

For those of you that have Logitech hardware. You can use their setpoint software and assign a mouse button to the space bar. It frees up one hand to stay on the yoke. Works great for me.

Chuck Biggins

I was a convert when beta testing the JS41 and now the 2D panels seem retro. Once you find your favorite way to pan/zoom it becomes a lot of fun.

Dan Downs KCRP

There's "View track/pan (toggle)" in controls/views, You can try it.rolleyes.gif
I'm using a Saitek X52 and have one of the hat swtiches assigned to Pan, that why I can look around using just my thumb while keeping my hands on the controls. Its worked well for me for years, plus when combined with EZdok and its extra camera features it makes it really easy to look around the VC if you assign the proper cameras/views to you control button on your yoke,stick, or throttle controls.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

This is a good thread, I have been struggling with panning around the VC in FSX comfortably since I installed it. Alot of good suggestions. As a long time VC user and an avid Active Camera fan I find myself getting alot more out of FS9 sometimes just because I'm SO used to Active Camera. I installed Walk and follow but it really isnt the same and it messes with the eyepoint in the MD-11 horribly. Every flight starts on the ground next to the nosegear and I have to move up thru the floor and position myself where I'm supposed to be on every flight. Horrible!

Bill Howard

pmdg_trijet.jpg

For now what I've done is assigned the pan mode function to a button on my joystick, this way I can keep my hand on the joystick at all times and use my other hand to operate around the cockpit with the mouse.This seems to be a good enough solution for now, but I think I may end up purchasing TrackIR, as that is probably the most 'realistic' solution.

You can also improve your view within the VC:[DISPLAY]WideViewAspect=True

\Robert Hamlich/

I have a Track IR5 but am still trying to get used to using it with 3d cockpits. Seems a must with the apparent quality of the NGX.I guess it is just a case of practise makes perfect. Does anyone have any settings suggestions that make flying airliners easier? I've tried a few of the profiles but still feel they need tweaking.Regards