Sign in to follow this  
awais1407

I've finally switched to using VC mode

Benji,Try something like this.Sorry about the quality but I'm no good on photoshop.You've just got to tweak around, I use different profiles for different games, this one is pretty tame. I tried to upload the xml file for you to use but it said I wasn't allowed to upload those kind of files. Helpful.Dan.

I'm using a Saitek X52 and have one of the hat swtiches assigned to Pan, that why I can look around using just my thumb while keeping my hands on the controls. Its worked well for me for years, plus when combined with EZdok and its extra camera features it makes it really easy to look around the VC if you assign the proper cameras/views to you control button on your yoke,stick, or throttle controls.
As cmpbellsjc says, the combination of TrackIR 4 or 5, EZdok camera add-on, and the "zoom in/zoom out" FSX key presses make navigating VC a snap. It's quick to set up and I found it quickly became intuitive to use after just a bit of us....can't imagine flying without these now. I have CH gear and have assigned buttons to the zoom view function and the "global disable" for EZdok to make easier the employment of VC switches and dials.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

So yay another VC user :-)
Neato. Remember that you don't have to use all VC though - I still use a few popups, like GNS430W and FMS popups if in airliners.
I guess it is just a case of practise makes perfect. Does anyone have any settings suggestions that make flying airliners easier? I've tried a few of the profiles but still feel they need tweaking.
Yeah, try the "Seth - Flight" profile over at the TIR forums:(2nd post in this thread)http://forum.naturalpoint.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=38618#Post38618TIR5 upset me the first few weeks, until I found this profile :Applause:Also, on occasion you'll have a need for the pause function, just to flick a switch with a small clickspot

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Thanks all.Will give these a go ...and keep practising!

Ryan makes a good point about combining 2D & VC, I fly 100% in VC with TrackIR but also undock the FMC, EICAS etc to spare monitors and it works great. For that reason I hope developers will never fully get rid of 2D panels as the pop up's are quite useful.

Rob Prest

Ryan makes a good point about combining 2D & VC, I fly 100% in VC with TrackIR but also undock the FMC, EICAS etc to spare monitors and it works great. For that reason I hope developers will never fully get rid of 2D panels as the pop up's are quite useful.
Inspired by a thread in the forum over at Vatsim, I purchased an app for iPad that enabled me to use the iPad as a monitor. You can then drag the FMC over to the iPad and since it has a touch screen, use your fingers to operate the FMC! Only problem for me is that 1) the app can only enable the monitor when MSFS is in windowed mode and 2) I can't at the same time use Noas EXCELLENT app FS kneeboard which gives me instantenous access to all the US enroute and airport charts. Kudos to you Noah - I see you are active in this thread! :D

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

I am sorry to say that I am an ex TrackIR5 user. I have 2 PCs, one with just FSX/PMDG744X and 2 screens, 1 for the cockpit and the second for the overheads. The second PC runs ASX, Squawkbox, VA client, and maps on a further 2 screens.I found that TrcakIR5 made me dizzy because, when looking away from the cockpit screen to the other screens and to my physical desktop, TrackIR displayed crazy images because I was beyond its boundaries of the main screen.Now I am a very contented VC pilot.

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

Thanks Krister, glad you enjoy it. I'm looking forward to the NGX as much s everyone else. In fact im developing another similar app geared towards real world pilots and my only goal for release is "before the ngx" so I focus all my time on flying the ngx when it gets released lol.

Noah Bryant

I am sorry to say that I am an ex TrackIR5 user. I have 2 PCs, one with just FSX/PMDG744X and 2 screens, 1 for the cockpit and the second for the overheads. The second PC runs ASX, Squawkbox, VA client, and maps on a further 2 screens.I found that TrcakIR5 made me dizzy because, when looking away from the cockpit screen to the other screens and to my physical desktop, TrackIR displayed crazy images because I was beyond its boundaries of the main screen.Now I am a very contented VC pilot.
Richard - You need to assign the TrackIR smoothing and pause buttons to your yoke, if I'm not using TrackIR to look around I pause it, I dont want it following me everytime I'm looking at my other monitors checking the ECAM,FMC or downing a beer! :( I'm not surprised you feel ill if you leave it on 100% of the time!Krister - Thanks mate, you saved me a bunch of cash, I was about to buy a IPad just to use it as a touchscreen FMC, for me the sim needs to be in fullscreen, hopefully someone will come up with a fix.Regards

Rob Prest

Richard - You need to assign the TrackIR smoothing and pause buttons to your yoke, if I'm not using TrackIR to look around I pause it, I dont want it following me everytime I'm looking at my other monitors checking the ECAM,FMC or downing a beer! :( I'm not surprised you feel ill if you leave it on 100% of the time!Krister - Thanks mate, you saved me a bunch of cash, I was about to buy a IPad just to use it as a touchscreen FMC, for me the sim needs to be in fullscreen, hopefully someone will come up with a fix.Regards
Rob,initially I had no plans at all at buying the iPad - I figured it would just end up on the shelf. Then I read about using it to control the FMC and started thinking about other usage, like a calendar on the wall, showing photo slideshows, setting up grocery lists and synchronizing with the Iphone. Oh, and putting all the aircraft manuals on it instead of printing literally thousands of pages in colour. Playing Angry Birds in the sofa! Stargazing! Tracking ships and airplanes around the world. Noahs FS Kneeboard also saves me money since I don't have to print out all the charts and I am more inclined to fly to new, smaller airports since I have all the charts at the press of a button. Not to mention not having to check if there are new SID's and STAR's that you have to print out in order not to upset the Vatsim controllers! I do have a laptop to read charts from but it takes up too much estate.I must confess that I have reluctantly become an iPadoholic. Join me! :D

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Hmm your convincing me to go for one again, I like to idea of using it as a EFB, if programs like Navigraph and TOPCAT could work on it that would be great. My girlfriends been hinting about buyying her one so I may just go for it and test it out myself.Cheers

Rob Prest

Rob,initially I had no plans at all at buying the iPad - I figured it would just end up on the shelf. Then I read about using it to control the FMC and started thinking about other usage, like a calendar on the wall, showing photo slideshows, setting up grocery lists and synchronizing with the Iphone. Oh, and putting all the aircraft manuals on it instead of printing literally thousands of pages in colour. Playing Angry Birds in the sofa! Stargazing! Tracking ships and airplanes around the world. Noahs FS Kneeboard also saves me money since I don't have to print out all the charts and I am more inclined to fly to new, smaller airports since I have all the charts at the press of a button. Not to mention not having to check if there are new SID's and STAR's that you have to print out in order not to upset the Vatsim controllers! I do have a laptop to read charts from but it takes up too much estate.I must confess that I have reluctantly become an iPadoholic. Join me! :D
I was the same way actually. I had been developing for it before it was released, but when it WAS released, I still didnt buy one right away because I didnt think I needed it for aything. After a month or so when I finally HAD to have one for testing, I was blown away at how useful it was. Now I dont go anywhere without it. Having an iPad function as an FMC on the iPad in full screen mode would require programming an app to be an FMC. The reason it only works in windowed mode is because the iPad is being turned into an additional monitor and the 2D FMC panel can be dragged onto it. It works well for the FMC but wouldnt work as well for other things because the refresh rate is kind of slow when doing this. Someone would have to write an FMC app that interfaces with FS via simconnect and wifi. It wouldnt be hard to do but it would have to be a generic FMC to work with all planes (like VasFMC). I seriosuly considered it, but I do not know the math ivolved in creating a properly working FMC well enough. There's alredy an app for controlling various things in the cockpit but a true FMC is a huge amount of code and math.

Noah Bryant

Hi Noah, don't wanna turn this thread into a Ipad hijack! :( , what confuses me if it's another monitor then why can't it be used in full screen like my two other monitors? I go into 2D drag the EICAS, FMC and other panels across then go back into full screen on my current setup. Cheers

Rob Prest

It depends on how you're using multiple monitors. If you have a TripleHead2Go or something similar, then when you drag 2D panels to different monitors, as far as the system is concerened, it's the same monitor which is 3000x1280 resolution (or whatever). But the way this program works is the same as if you have mutliple monitirs plugged into multiple video cards. That way, you can only use multiple monitors if you are in windowed mode. Some video cards offer the option to set your multiple monitirs up to be treated as a single large monitor, or multiple monitors. The iPad application we're talking about would work as an additional monitor and would therefore have to be used in wondowed mode. (I'm no hardware expert so If you are NOT using a TH2Go set up or using your video card to treat your multiple monitors as a single large monitir and you are able to drag your 2D panels to other monitors let me know how you do it because I'd like to see what kind of FPS I get)

Noah Bryant

Hi Noah,To avoid any confusion my current setup is using FS9 with windows XP and a ATI card. I have two screens hooked up to the Sim and a third screen hooked up to a networked PC running everything else. Since we're discussing undocking it's only really a two screen setup right now. Both screens are plugged into the one graphics card but the image is not stretched across two screens.1st screen is a 42" HDMI and the 2nd screen is just a standard 17" Monitor. When the screens are running on the desktop you can drag icons between them but when I load up FS the smaller screen goes blank, I then minimize FS to windowed mode, drag the FMC etc over to the small screen then go back to full screen and it works fine.

Rob Prest