Sign in to follow this  
NoahBryant

SSD Upgrade Results

NoahBryant,Thank you for sharing the information. Could you test the loading time with a 7.5 or higher LOD radius? RegardsDavid

Guest craig1998
NoahBryant,Thank you for sharing the information. Could you test the loading time with a 7.5 or higher LOD radius? RegardsDavid
my LOD is maxed out and no blurries. Think every FSX simmer should get a good SSD.

Sure but what do you mean by, "loading time"?

Noah Bryant

Sure but what do you mean by, "loading time"?
The time FSX takes to load after you click 'FLY NOW'. Thanks in advance!DavidRegards

Loading time depends on a number of factors. You would need to test "like for like", which basically means default airport, default scenery location, and default aircraft.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I have a 256GB SSD for FSX and most of my scenery, including my tileProxy Photoreal world and the performance is 100% definitely way better than when I was using 3 velociraptors. I have the OS on another SSD. Windows loads in about 20 seconds and I have consistent 40 - 50 FPS performance using the VRS superbug, REX and photoscenery ( no autogen) The other thing that really helped, was going to Windows 7. It took a frustrating 2 or 3 weeks to get the right drivers and set it up, but after that, the difference was huge - much smoother performance and better FPS than vista.I would certainly recommend buying a 250GB SSD for FSX and as much stuff as you can cram on it scenery wise. I use lod6.5 and various .cfg tweaks and also get very fast and crisp texture loading. Cheers, Mark

Default Cessna 172DayClear WxLOD:7Scenery Complexity: maxAutogen: NormalUsing multiple different airports, both payware and default, my load time was from 26-34 seconds

Noah Bryant

LOD:7
You are referring to an entry in your FSX.CFG file, and not the LOD of your terrain mesh package, are you?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Christopher,

Loading time depends on a number of factors. You would need to test "like for like", which basically means default airport, default scenery location, and default aircraft.
Thank you for reminding me. Scenery and autogen could affect the loading time tremendously.DavidRegards

Previously, I had FS installed on my main hard drive (along with the OS and other programs etc)
Perhaps that explains a lot of the improvements, going from a system drive with OS and programs, to a decicated drive...Don't think you can compare that to replacing one dedicated drive with another.:(

Mike...

I'm already at 75.6 gigs with my FSX folder. The 80 gig limit on the SSD is too limiting for this sim. Stan

I'm already at 75.6 gigs with my FSX folder. The 80 gig limit on the SSD is too limiting for this sim. Stan
You could get a larger SSD.

Noah Bryant

You could get a larger SSD.
Here's a 128Gig for $20 more than an 80Gig X-25.

it's certainly possible that it's because of something else, such as it being a fresh install with less add ons or because it's now on it's own hard drive as opposed to sharing the hard drive with the OS
Those are the exact 3 things I was thinking. I have always found that fps go down as I add stuff to the sim. I have tried to keep my current install extremely clean but I have seen a bit of slowdown over the past year. You may see a better results over a period of time due to the lack of fragmentation?Glad it is working well for you.Even with my increasing bloated install, my load time is about 60-70 seconds. With FS9 on my old system, I was looking at 5-7 minutes so I am pretty happy with load times.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad