Sign in to follow this  
destro87

Upgrade for new video card...Help appreciated

Guest freebird77

IMHO the 460 isn't that much of a better card than the 280GTX -all things FSX, 470-480 you will see much more improvement for hi-res and hi-AA.

IMHO the 460 isn't that much of a better card than the 280GTX -all things FSX, 470-480 you will see much more improvement for hi-res and hi-AA.
Really? Even with a monitor with the resolution I have? So confusing. I initially had my heart set on a gtx 480, but heard it never really made a difference with fs. Oh well.Lyndon

Guest freebird77
Really? Even with a monitor with the resolution I have? So confusing. I initially had my heart set on a gtx 480, but heard it never really made a difference with fs. Oh well.Lyndon
Hi,The 460 performs just bairly better than a 285GTX in DX9/10, you might want to look up benchmarks and compare, its especially true in FSX.It offers less memory bandwidth then your 280 but has a faster core clock especially if O/C but thats all your going to get besides DX11.If anything at least get a 470 and you wont be throwing your money away - as in looking for an upgrade much sooner.Just sayin...

MSI N480GTX-M2D15-B GeForce GTX 480is $449 at Amazon.com which is a bit better than NewEgg

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

The 460 GTX is the indisputable price performance king when it comes to FSX.  Use the money that you don't spend for the overpriced 480 for a gift for the wife or girlfriend.  You will be a hero!jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

The 460 GTX is the indisputable price performance king when it comes to FSX. Use the money that you don't spend for the overpriced 480 for a gift for the wife or girlfriend. You will be a hero!jja
:biggrin: :biggrin: That's always an option too

Hahaha. You guys are funny. The wife and kids have all they need at the moment. This is a gift to myself. I know I ask a lot of questions but what do you guys think of the 980x versus the 950. Thinkin about getting a 980 instead but don't wanna waste money if when overclocked the same, both chips yield the same results. I promise that's my last dilemma. Lyndon

Hahaha. You guys are funny. The wife and kids have all they need at the moment. This is a gift to myself. I know I ask a lot of questions but what do you guys think of the 980x versus the 950. Thinkin about getting a 980 instead but don't wanna waste money if when overclocked the same, both chips yield the same results. I promise that's my last dilemma. Lyndon
So what did you decide for the card??Anyway the differnce is the 980X is an 32NM architechture and the 950 is a 45NM technology. They both overclock to around 4.2Ghz maybe more if you're skilled. The 980X is easier to overclcok and performs better because of its architecture. But it's up to you is 700$ worth that little bit of performance, just like the cards.

Guest freebird77
The 460 GTX is the indisputable price performance king when it comes to FSX. Use the money that you don't spend for the overpriced 480 for a gift for the wife or girlfriend. You will be a hero!jja
Hi,Perspective: If you dont own a decent card or are building a new system on a budget, then sure the 460 offers a certain bang/buck quotient in the $200 range......but.....What is "undisputable" is that the OP already owns the "price performance king" as far as this thread or one like it goes, its free, he owns it! - And it gives about 95-105+% of the performance of the card you keep recommending him to buy. Why would you want him to do that?AnandTech's review of a 465GTX - which is a bit better than a 460: But thats ok since they compare a 465 vs a 285 and we are talking 460 vs 280Anands:"Meanwhile on a broader horizon, we noticed something interesting about the GTX 465: it’s really, really close to the GTX 285. In terms of gaming performance the difference is under 4%, while temperatures, power consumption, and even noise were all very close to NVIDIA’s last-generation king. Whether it was intentional or not, the GTX 465 feels like a GTX 285 with DirectX 11. At nearly 2 years old the GTX 285’s place in the world has been well established in most enthusiasts’ minds and the GTX 465 actually fits this mold nicely. This isn’t necessarily a good thing since we’ve moved on to 40nm and the Radeon HD 5000 series, but if you’ve ever wanted to know what a GTX 285 with DirectX 11 would be like, we would imagine it would be a lot like the GTX 465."Or if Toms is your bag check this GPU Hierarchy chartThe 280/285 are lumped in with the 470 Fermis....and the 460? Its below with the 260 and 275GTX - There is a reason for that.or maybe Guruhut benchies...

So what did you decide for the card??Anyway the differnce is the 980X is an 32NM architechture and the 950 is a 45NM technology. They both overclock to around 4.2Ghz maybe more if you're skilled. The 980X is easier to overclcok and performs better because of its architecture. But it's up to you is 700$ worth that little bit of performance, just like the cards.
I'm going to go with the MSI GTX480. Yeah I think it makes more sense (for me) to go with the i7 950 since ther's only minimal extra peformance with the 980x. Plus I have a microcenter near where I live and they sell the 950 at a good price.

I'm going to go with the MSI GTX480. Yeah I think it makes more sense (for me) to go with the i7 950 since ther's only minimal extra peformance with the 980x. Plus I have a microcenter near where I live and they sell the 950 at a good price.
Good compnents, FSX will run very smoothly.

Guest freebird77
Good choice mate.I'm close to puling the trigger myself but holding out on for the 485 to come out . . . which probably wont happen until AMD release the 68XX cards -sigh...Why a 950 when a 930 will do the same?My $300 I7-920 has been cruising along at 4.4Ghz for almost a year now and will give any 950 a good run for the money - not that they are all the same YMMV. How much for the 950 at MC?

Good choice mate.I'm close to puling the trigger myself but holding out on for the 485 to come out . . . which probably wont happen until AMD release the 68XX cards -sigh...Why a 950 when a 930 will do the same?My $300 I7-920 has been cruising along at 4.4Ghz for almost a year now and will give any 950 a good run for the money - not that they are all the same YMMV. How much for the 950 at MC?
There's also going to be the GTX495 it will be quite a good card.

Oh, that's because Microcenter has the i7 950 for $229.00 and the i7 930 is only $199.00 so it's really not that much of a price difference.Lyndon
There's also going to be the GTX495 it will be quite a good card.
Yeah true... I wonder when that one comes out?