Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

New Overclocked Rig

HI allIm seriously close to buying this. I'm still running FSX with limitations (no city or large airport flying) , pretty much FTX PNW type flying. Would like to do large airport with AI flying again, and Im hoping this will get me there. Also if anyone has bought from Overclockers, I wouldn't mind feedbackhttp://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-152-OECheersErich

Under product description in the link that you provided I have the following comments.The power supply is only 600W, you should get at least a 750W PS. On my CPU's I like plenty of headroom and I would go with a 850W.The ram is only CAS9 (PC3-12800C9). The best ram would be CAS6 at 1600MHz if you can get it. Here is an example of the ram I am talking about.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226121I think GSKILL has some DDR3 CAS6 1600HMz ram too.The GPU is a GTX 460, get at least a GTX 470, a GTX 480 is the best and is what I would go with.FSX should be installed on it own HD for optimum performance. I would recommend a 600GB Velociraptor or a 300GB Velociraptor. The 600GB will give you plenty of room for addon scenery and stuff. If you do not want to spend the money on a Velociraptor then at least get the fastest 750GB 7200 RPM drive you can find and install FSX on that.Talk to them and get them to confirm that the watercooling system specified will handle an overclock to 4.2GHz because on that motherboard with the i7 950 you will be able to overclock it to 4.2GHz with no problem.

I have to disagree to some extent. That's an excelent PSU and will handle that setup with no problems, even with a dual 460. the 470-480 are more power hungry and will not provide any benefits in FSX.1600 CL9 RAM is ok too.OCuK are very renowned and although I have never bought anything from them I would recomend them to anyone for what I read in their forums from their customers. Join those forums and ask there: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/Looks like a solid build to me, and a good option if you are not interested in overclocking yourself, but water cooling sometimes doesn't like shipping, and keep in mind it needs some manteinance and you will need to change the liquid once a year or something.If you ask me, I would pick this one with a GTX460 instead: http://www.overclock...rodid=FS-252-OK but even the GTS 250 will do the job at a bit lower antialiasing like 4xthat's some 710 quid and you will get almost the same performance

I have just purchased this one:http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-034-OPWith a 750W PSU, GTX 480, 2x600GB Velociraptors and 2x2TB Seagate hard drives.You will need to be comfortable opening up the case. One of the VRaps wasn't operating correctly on a SATA3 port and the optical drive seems a bit iffy. However, their support is second to none.George

Hi George,What was your final price with 2xRaptors and an upgraded power unit?Thanks for your comments gusysErich

Hi George,What was your final price with 2xRaptors and an upgraded power unit?
It was about £1600.

I already have a VRap on my current setup purely dedicated to FSX. I'll transfer that to the new rig.Differing views on the 600W power unit guys....enough or not for FSX ?Genral views on watercooling ?? Anyone else have water cooling?Cheerserich

Play with this PS calculator, I came up with 696W for your system.http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.htmlI can not say how accurate this calculators are. I have seen a lot of people say that they are not all that accurate over at www.overclock.net, but this calculator came up with 696W, that is 96W more than a 600W PS. An 850W PS maybe more than you need, but again I recommend a minimum of a 750W PS.I have air cooling in my systems, as long as you have a decent air cooler you do not need water unless you plan on overclocking the CPU to its limit. In my old i7 970 system I had the Thermalrighrt Ultra Extreme and the CPU was overclocked to 4.2GHz, my highest temps while stress testing with OCCT never hit 80C. My signature rig has a Thermalright Silver Arrow and I plan on overclocking this rig to 4.4GHz. Personally I just do not want liquid inside my case!Again I recommend CAS6 ram, CAS9 ram maybe fine for general purpose use, but it is slow comnpared to CAS6. If you are going with a system specificaly to run FSX then get the best parts that you can afford and in my opinion the best parts includes CAS6 ram and a GTX 480.

Well, I assumed the OP is not willing to build a rig and OCing himself, and the OcUK are very well balanced and at a fair price, and also already overclocked. If you don't have the time or skills to build a rig and overclock it, those OcUK pre-built systems are great. Of course at the price of not having the flexibility to choose different componentsThere is no option to pick a different PSU and RAM but again, there's no need to: http://www.tomshardw...80,2694-10.htmlthat's with a 4GHz I7 + 2 GTX 260, max power comsumption was 470W. It's not a bad idea to choose a PSU with plenty headroom if you plan to upgrade to a 480 sli setup, but there's no choice to do that since it's calculated to run 1 or 2 460s. The corsair extreme is a great psu (remember that the wattage itself is not the most important thing anyway)Besides if the rig is for FSX, a 480 is overkill and would just add extra power and heat, and SLI is not needed unless you plan on using a multiscreen setup for extended resolution.I would also pick CL6 RAM if it's not for a lot more money than CL9, like those mushkin redlines that are dirt cheap, but as there's no option there to pick other RAM either, 1600MHz CL9 is still not bad at all. Performance will be maybe a 2-3% worse than CL6. You will hardly notice the difference between CL9 & CL6 and there are threads in this same section that prove it with benchmarks.I recomended the I5 760 built for some 700 pounds because if you take tripple channel and Hyperthreading from an I7 you basicaly have an I5, and both features are completely useless for FSX. You save money in the board and RAM (4GB are more than enough) also and the Megahalems is one of the best air coolers in the market capable of 4GHz and more. No WC means no need to worry about manteinance and possible leaks and 4GHz don't really justify water cooling IMO

To the OP!According to XBit Labshttp://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/geforce-gtx-480_13.html#sect0a standard i7 920 and a GTX 480 at full load draws 480W to 645W, a GTX 470 or GTX 460 would not be that much less. I would not put a 600W PS into an i7 950 system with a GTX 4XX card, there is no room for error. If your PS is marginal it can cause stability problems, BSOD's, CTD's and be a pain in general to figure out why your PC is not running right.It is your decision, but I would not buy from a company that would not allow you to choose a better PS, ram or other components, I would look around at other companies in your area before I bought a rig with a 600W PS and CAS9 ram for the sole purpose of running FSX better.You said that you wanted to run FSX and run it with AI. All components work together, once you start down grading two or more it will affect how FSX runs. Not everyone has the money to get want they want, I can only say that if you want to run FSX at its best then get the best comnponents that you can afford. To run FSX at its best I stand by my recommendation in my first post. You can go read through the treads in this hardware forum go look at the hardware forum at flight1.com or any of the FSX forums and you will see that most people will agree.As far as getting a i5 based system, I would post a new thread and ask people with an i5 system what performance they are getting.

a GTX 480 at full load draws 480W to 645W, a GTX 470 or GTX 460 would not be that much less
Do you realise that the 460 has a new GF104 chip and is A LOT less power hungry than the GF100 of the 470 & 480? Comparision with the 470... the 480? go figurehttp://www.tomshardw...mi,2684-13.htmlAnother onehttp://www.techspot....ance/page9.html
Not everyone has the money to get want they want, I can only say that if you want to run FSX at its best then get the best comnponents that you can afford.
seriously, things don't work like that

Guest chris493
It is your decision, but I would not buy from a company that would not allow you to choose a better PS, ram or other components, I would look around at other companies in your area before I bought a rig with a 600W PS and CAS9 ram for the sole purpose of running FSX better.You said that you wanted to run FSX and run it with AI. All components work together, once you start down grading two or more it will affect how FSX runs. Not everyone has the money to get want they want, I can only say that if you want to run FSX at its best then get the best comnponents that you can afford. To run FSX at its best I stand by my recommendation in my first post. You can go read through the treads in this hardware forum go look at the hardware forum at flight1.com or any of the FSX forums and you will see that most people will agree.
This is utter BS. Seriously.Overclockers UK is possibly one of the BEST computer retailers in the UK, so as for "I would not buy from a company that would not allow you to choose a better PS, ram or other components", the components they provide are made to suit. They work together. They wouldnt give a 600W PSU on a computer that you say needs 750W minimum, why? because they would end up getting every computer back saying its not working properly, costing them alot of money. Also if this is the case, many Dell computers (such as the Studio XPS 8100) only has a 500W psu, with a i7 870 plus a GTX 460. Go figure. One other thing i wish to point out is in your signature. Please explain why you bought one of the most expensive motherboards, to run 1 GTX480, a 980x and 6GB ram, when you get motherboards offering the exact same features for less money, but with less PCI slots and less OCing ability. Please elaborate. As you said: Not everyone has the money to get want they want.Finally, there has been many debates about RAM, and it has been PROVEN that CL6 does not have that much performance increase in FSX. 2-3% is barely noticeable, so why pressure him into paying more money for RAM he doesnt need?Thankyou

It is your decision, but I would not buy from a company that would not allow you to choose a better PS, ram or other components, I would look around at other companies in your area before I bought a rig with a 600W PS and CAS9 ram for the sole purpose of running FSX better.
I don't know where you got that idea. I was able to specify an uprated PSU, GPU and extra disk drives.George

Guest chris493

And he can also contact them and specify an upgrade etc. Its OCuK, they are very flexible and "user friendly"

Genral views on watercooling ?? Anyone else have water cooling?
I built a water cooling system for my PC. Mainly, it's a really expensive way of lowering your overclocked PC temperatures or making your PC quieter than with traditional air cooling. My current system only cools the CPU with water for now, but I'll soon be cooling the graphics card with it as well. In terms of performance, I've got an i5-750 clocked at 4GHz with max temperatures under full load floating around 50*C on the cores (not the CPU body temperature), all while the noise of the PC is quite low. But as I say, it's quite a costly solution - the cheap systems made by Thermaltake, Corsair, CoolerMaster and others are really not worth the hassle or risk of putting a gallon of water inside your PC - they perform as good as a quality air cooler. It's only when you get to the $300+ range that you actually justify water with performance. My system has been running on a 19hr/day schedule for about 3 months now with water cooling, and I haven't had a single problem yet.