Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

New Overclocked Rig

Guest chris493

What do you think of the new corsair h70??

Haven't tried the H70 myself, but I can hardly believe you could dissipate enough heat through a single 120mm radiator. The great thing about liquid cooling is that you can put as many fans on it as you want. The max number of fans you could put on a traditional air cooler is two, maybe three on the NH-D14 or the ThermalRight Arrow.On a liquid cooling system, you are pretty much limitless. You have single, dual, triple, quad and even 'grid' radiators that can fit anything from one to 12 fans - depending on your needs. Mind you, a triple radiator can dissipate about 400W of heat which is enough for a single overclocked CPU and a GTX4xx graphics card.

Most people that use the H50-70 have it set with the rad at the rear of the case sucking air inside, and that way it does a very good job. A tad bit worse than top of the line air coolers like the Silver Arrow or NH-D14, but without the RAM clearance and general size problem those have. On the other hand, an air cooler is supposed to last a lot more, so at the end of the day it's a matter of personal choice.Personally I don't think custom WC is worth the hassle and the money, but that's just me. I could probably run my I5 at 4.2GHz temperature wise, but at nearly 1.5 Vcore, so that's my limiting factor anyway. I know Lynnfields need more Vcore than Bloomfields because of the on-die PCI controller design, but then you usually get some extra overclock on air too with bloomfields and to get them further on WC also means pushing Vcore a lot for just 200MHz or something. Again, that's just me, and I would not recomend going with custom WC to the OP if he's not comfortable with system building and manteinance. Besides, if you read the user reviews some report it as noisy, which ruins one of the main purporses of water cooling.There is this one too if you want to pick an I7 no matter what: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-034-OPOCed to 4.2GHz on air, would cost around 1000 quid with a 460

I don't know where you got that idea. I was able to specify an uprated PSU, GPU and extra disk drives.George
In one his his posts dazz said that this conmpany offered no other choices for PS or ram.

This is utter BS. Seriously.Overclockers UK is possibly one of the BEST computer retailers in the UK, so as for "I would not buy from a company that would not allow you to choose a better PS, ram or other components", the components they provide are made to suit. They work together. They wouldnt give a 600W PSU on a computer that you say needs 750W minimum, why? because they would end up getting every computer back saying its not working properly, costing them alot of money. Also if this is the case, many Dell computers (such as the Studio XPS 8100) only has a 500W psu, with a i7 870 plus a GTX 460. Go figure. One other thing i wish to point out is in your signature. Please explain why you bought one of the most expensive motherboards, to run 1 GTX480, a 980x and 6GB ram, when you get motherboards offering the exact same features for less money, but with less PCI slots and less OCing ability. Please elaborate. As you said: Not everyone has the money to get want they want.Finally, there has been many debates about RAM, and it has been PROVEN that CL6 does not have that much performance increase in FSX. 2-3% is barely noticeable, so why pressure him into paying more money for RAM he doesnt need?Thankyou
If you want to buy from a retailer that would not allow you to upgrade components that is your business, I would not and I did not say that this retailer would not, another poster did, that is why I made my comment to the OP.I recommended a 750W PS with a GTX 480, the configuration posted has a GTX 460. All comments made to the PS releated to my comments about upgrading that also included a separated FSX HD. Down the road people start adding things and that 750W PS may come in handy when they do. If the OP wants to go with a 600W PS that is his business, I still recommend a 750W for a cushion, when it comes to PS I prefer plenty of room, the cost of a 600W PS vs a 750W PS is minimal.I went with the R3E rather than a P6X58D because I wanted a Esata port on the back I/O and the E6X58D does not, to me it was worth the extra $40.00 I paid for it. I wanted an Asus MB so your statement about MB's offering the exact same features for less money is not true. No other Asus board offers all the features the R3E offeres and I doubt anyother manufacture has a board that offers all the R3E features for less money.Regarding ram, if you take my system and replace the cas6 ram with cas9 there may not be a noticable difference to you, but when someone asks for recommendations for FSX I recommend the best and I say buy the best that you can afford. I will be able to OC my 980X to 4.4 and my Mushkin Redline CAS 6 6-7-6-18 1600MHz ram to 6-7-6-18 @ 1800MHz, lets see you do that with the CAS9 ram that you say is fine. Dot not tell me that this is not going to make a noticable difference because unless you actually go do the comparison tests with FSX you really do not know. No benchmarks ever show FSX so benchmarks really do not tell how something will affect FSX.OP, good luck with your new system! I suggest that you go read through other threads and threads on other FSX sites, see what other people are recommending before you make a decision.

Guest chris493

You stated so confidently that a GTX460 draws similar power to a 480, which you so confidently stated draws 480-645W with an i7 920. Why state something and argue to the death that you are correct when you are completely wrong? If your not going to give valid input in a sensible tone, don't give it at all. And never ever answer peoples questions with incorrect information, yes we all make mistakes, but arguing that you are correct when you are not is not going to happen. Keep up your attitude and you'll be banned from these forums in no time.Another point to make is this, you keep saying by the best you can afford, yet you are telling him that he must not get CL9 ram because it will limit his performance blah blah blah. What if that's the best he can afford? We are not all millionaires like you are trying to act, so why push him to spend money he doesn't need to? Also, if he is buying a pre overclocked system, he clearly doesn't feel comfortable doing it himself. So if CL9 ram is capable of OCing to 4GHz, he's going to leave it at that, an not try and squeeze every last MHz out of his processor, like you seem to want to do. Many people by computers to last, and work how they want it to. Not push it to the limit, risking breaking or blowing something.

Guest chris493

Also with the ram, is he buying your system? NO. So why recommend it? You also dud state that you would not buy from them because they did no give you upgrade optios, which dazz then corrected. Finally, if the max available graphcs option is 2x GTX460, why recommend something for a different product? Once again forcing him into buying things he doesn't need.

Agreed Chris, and even if you have money to burn, some upgrades turn out being downgrades sometimes, like a 480 for FSX, so not always the best is best.Anyway I'm pretty sure you can't pick components other than the options provided in the pre-built system specs, can you? http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=17495844&postcount=2well, if you can OcUK is hands down the best online retailer on earth. But even if you can't, I want to see a link to a better one out there

In one his his posts dazz said that this conmpany offered no other choices for PS or ram.
If you had looked at the link in the first post there was a choice:ocuk.jpgAs has been said, they are a very friendly company.

alright GHD, my bad too :DThat's awesome

Guest chris493

With OcUK, you can contact them and request certain parts in your system. You can only request parts that they sell standalone. When I was looking to buy a system a few years back, I looked at OcUK due to their reputation, and I contacted them and they told me that I can choose other parts not mentioned, so long as they sell them. I ended up stupidly buying an alienware desktop that I was quickly disappointed with. I'm not sure if it's still the same today, but that's what it was like in 2006-2007.

I've purchased my last two systems from OC UK and they've performed admirably. I figure now is about the right time to replace my ageing Q6600 8800GTX, even though it still runs FSX just fine with the sliders backed off a notch.I'm looking at the below with a GTX480.http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-101-OE

go for it
I'm very tempted. I had set myself a max £1000 spend. The 480 bumps it up to £1220.Hmmm..............

Guest chris493

Go the 470. The performance difference between them in FSX isn't great.