Sign in to follow this  
Guest FS_freak

Strange Water Effects (see pic)

Guest FS_freak

Anybody wanna take a shot at the weird vertical shadows that appear over reflective water in the attached pic?My specs:Athlon 650 (yup steady 20's or high teens)TI4200 128 8X AGP 45.23 drivers256 PC-133 RAM4XAA, 4XAF, -0.3 LOD

Guest wathomas777

Try Turning off the clouds and see if it disappears. I think it is Microsofts attempt to have cloud reflections in the water. Or try to show the affect of diffused sunlight through a cloud. Remove the cloud textures nd try again and see what you have. Not that this is a fix, but may explain their existance.

Guest FS_freak

Thanks guys for the swift response. Hamilton, have you noticed that when looking real close from spot view the vertical lines seem to stay still on the screen - they don't pass through like the rest of the scenery and instead they seem to follow the aircraft and move in vertical waves? Looks like a surface effects mask that doesn't stick to the water textures behind it. I'll try disabling the clouds and get back to you.Mauricio

It's not a bug, it's a feature :-lolIt's the reflective water effect. It's supposed to look like clouds reflected in the water ;)

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest Bigshot

The first time I seen that, I said; WoW! glass canopy reflections. Nice touch! Then I went to outside view and seen they were still there. I turned my water reflections off a while later. With a few exceptions depending on the time of day, I don't particularly like the water that much. Too bright, only look good with water textures maxed and they have a tendency to hit the framerate to hard when running with maxed water textures.

Strange...today I was playing CFS2 and I found the water textures more realistic than FS2004 :) This water looks so light and turning the reflections OFF it looks so dark. Ulisses

Hi, "today I was playing CFS2 and I found the water textures more realistic than FS2004 This water looks so light and turning the reflections OFF it looks so dark. `Be carefful, The water is cfs2 is limited near 2 bmp. You can use the water from fs2002 drag and drop in fs2004.. The dark water color you are talking is not all in the fs2004 world, there is some place it is dark like real life, there is 60 bmp for the water Turn the reflection to off and it is realistic on day time, this will reduce the light blue.You can use OCEAN WATER from ED available for fs2002 and it`s works well in fs2004.ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Guest FS_freak

Thanks Chris,I'll be waiting for your fix. If it is anywhere near the clouds fix you came up with recently then you are on your way to the hall of fame my friend. ;-) Here's a closer pic of the textures. Just focus on the water behind the trailing edge of the flaps. Funny thing is that these lines are flying with the aircraft, they

Hi,Which aircraft are you using for this passenger view ???About the lines flying with the aircraft, maybe the reflection is calculated in the water surface (not fixed). Flying in real life the clouds reflection in the water isn't fixed, but MS did something wrong for sure.Hey, your water is so green....Ulisses

I noticed this condition too and it seems to follow the wave motion of the water. The lines would actually disappear in a steady cycle of about once per second and when they were gone there was a beautiful reflection but on the other half cycle the reflection didn't look good at all.

Guest FS_freak

Yes, Ulisses. The water is WAY too green if you ask me. MS really screwed up here. Don't know if it has something to do with the fact that I am flying off my hometown SKCG (Cartagena) in the Caribbean. Someone in the design team probably thinks water is always that green here.The plane is FFX's wonderful DC10. I can send the panel.cfg if you wish (have to get it at home first).Cheers,Mauricio