Sign in to follow this  

FS9 Water Reflection Fix

For all those who don't like the FS9 water reflection (especially the overcast effect), use the old environment texture files from FS2002 or the superb ones from Gerrit Kranenbarg - or get the brand new "R_Water0.zip" from www.flightsim.no.For those who like to have FS9 style reflections in FS2002 it's the other way around. It looks like MS just forgot to add a bit of alpha channel in the previous version. :-)Have fun.Claudius

Thanks for the tip Claudius. I was expecting someone to come up with "compromise" textures. Really, something about halfway between FS2002 and FS2004 would be nearly perfect. If you have Gerrit's loaded, can you please post a screenshot in the screenshots forum? I'd love to see how they look :)Regards,John

Hi,Unhappily after installing those textures, my system complete froze,luckily I had backup my original textures,reinstalled them again and start FS9 in safe mode and then increased the sliders again.Now it

Hamilton Müller

Which one of the textures froze your system? I was not talking about fixing any *video driver* related issues. Just the water reflection as defined in the alpha channel of the env_*.bmp files.I really don't want anyone crashing his system because of my hints. Being a rather experimental type of simmer, I'm dropping everything I can get my hands on into FS. Please disregard my posting, if you are unsure what you are doing.Claudius

Sorry guys, I don't have access to FS right now, so I cannot post any screenshots.Get DXTBmp, open env_overcast.bmp, set the alpha cannel to completely black, refresh alpha, save as Extended 32bit 888 - the blue-green water on overcast (broken >= 6/8) should be gone now.You can make the water look like anything you like with those environmental mappings. I'm working on a new set for a week now, but it's hard to get the right color balance for all times of day, weather conditions, water types etc.Claudius

You can of course just turn them off...Your hack is no 'fix', it's a hack to 'fix' something that was never broken and therefore can't be fixed.

I don't know what's with your replies lately Jeroen.... Pretty dumb, IMHO, to be arguing semantics over a helpful hint. Is it your prerogative to throw icewater into every post? Fix, Hack, Hint....who gives a darn what it's called when the guy's here trying to help. Some have disliked the way the water reflections appear in FS2004--in their eyes, even if we don't call it broken, the water reflections looks pretty dang weird. They don't want to lose them altogether by turning them off--so if someone comes up with a reasonable texture alternative or points forum members in that direction, more power to 'em... I'd say that's what this forum's for--wouldn't you? -John

Thank you, John :)

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Guest crashing_pilot

>You can of course just turn them off...>>Your hack is no 'fix', it's a hack to 'fix' something that was>never broken and therefore can't be fixed.i sure hope someone hacks you,as there definately must be something broken,and,abiding by your logic,it could be fixed ;-)regards

Roger Austli's reflection maps look awesome on screenshots. I'll have to check them out.The "milky" water in FS2004 is not that bad when you get used to it. It's actually not unusual for the water to look similar to that. Oceans in the real world are not always deep-blue, you know.It also depends on where in the world you are. Up north, the sea will be very dark, while tropical areas will have very clourful water.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

>sea will be very dark, while tropical areas will have very>clourful water.This "colorful" water only covers a narrow area say about 1/2 mile from the shore. I just returned from Cancun. But beyond this water is still fairly deep blue. What they gave us in FS2004 is a joke as far as I am concerned. Water in FS2002 looked better.The creator of the OceanFX add-on Ed T. - clearly knows much better than Microsoft how water should look like !Michael J.

This photo does not show the same colour as FS does, but it does show that water is not always deep blue.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/35230.jpgReality really is crap, because the colour of water is not correct. Is there no way to replace the real-world water textures with those from FS2000? ;)

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP