Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Cannot change from window mode to full screen

I hope someone can advise here (same problem in FSX and FS9). Changing from window mode to full screen has always been a problem in my setups: in my last PC it caused FS to crash (".. FS has encountered a problem and needs to close..."), but I have simply avoided going to windowed mode and back to full screen. Now with the new PC, specs as my signature, it is important that I can do so, because a number of aircraft (PMDG, Level-D) have issues in Windows 7 64-bit in that when you access their options menus from the main FS menu bar, the screen goes black - the options menu appears behind the FS screen and you have to go to windowed mode to see it. Then I go back to full screen (or try to!) to fly - I don't like flying with the tasbar and FS menu visible.With the new PC, I get into windowed mode fine, as ever, but when I try to go back to full screen my second monitor goes black. I can only get the image back by returning to windowed mode in FS, or quitting FS altogether. I tried things with just one monitor - that too goes black.I suppose this is a drivers issue? - though all the many nVidia 8700 drivers I tried on my old XP 32-bit gave the same problem. In which case I am probably not going to ba able to resolve it. There aren't a whole lot of drivers for the nVidia GTX series (I have 460 2GB version) in a Windows 7 x64 setup to choose from. I had the 258.96 (I think - the new PC's just given up the ghost and had to go back to the manufacturer. Great!!) and I tried the 260.63. Both the same - except that the latter don't retain my nVidia control panel settings properly after a reboot.If anyone has any ideas how to resolve or get around this, I'll be most interested. As it is, looks like I will have to fly a number of a/c in window mode until (hope!) I can get this fixed.Thanks,Martin

Guest KINGawal
I hope someone can advise here (same problem in FSX and FS9). If anyone has any ideas how to resolve or get around this, I'll be most interested. As it is, looks like I will have to fly a number of a/c in window mode until (hope!) I can get this fixed.Thanks,Martin
I don't see anything with your computer here , but also a driver is a software the matches the hardware to configure it and tell the computer what the hardware is so the computer deals with the hard ware accordingly correctly.so you only have to UPDATE drivers so they match computer , windows, other hardwares and softwares and fs also like display performance etc... you can or must do that correct , using pc barnd and hardware brand to search computer or hardware manufacturers's sites to download them and install them (the drivers) But in your case,also, the cahnges (like ADDONS) you make to fs will make more stable the opposite ofcoures will happen it will be less stable untill you've tested the addon applied the best settings to make both addon and fs in best inviroment , example not mutc background rnning process or ,too mutch use of ram (memory) , harddisk is full or almost full , not considering certain software on your machine that would affct all your machine including fs .Now two or there important steps for smooth and clean operation of fs on windows :1 CLEAN ! INSTALL OF WINDOWS (no storage on same partition no dos wih big progrms on it , use good formtting tools and chekdisk tool etc..)2 CLEAN INSTALL OF FS ( almost first to install before any other (big or too active software) and also after installing fs be ware of other programs installation as the are to be working with fs almost same time .3 CLEAN AND CAUTIOUS INSTALLATION OF ADDON (fs addons) (check fs (all , go on a test flight for example)and fs setting and integrity of software before and after installation , and check and clean you computer and hard disk every now and then as using fs.Now for a solutin to the diplay you are facing , now fs (for example fs9) is big and with addons its very big so when do somthing it thinks long so it gives black screen for a while then if you screen will comeback .the scenery textures display settings affect fs display so manage it well, be very carefull with DISPLAY setting or programs that affect display too mutch like activesky . Last ,go to fs9 config (fs9.cfg or fsx.cfg) (which you have ! , and back it up ,then ..put cd in cdrom or , fs ISO and mount fs on virtual drive , then start it as you want to install then hit RUN hold ctrl and shift together untill it launches completely , it will launch with full screen default setting ( if it doesn't ,try again)it reproduces fs.cfg or delet fs.cfg (fsx.cfg or fs9.cfg) then run fs it will build a new cfg file default settings fulll screen.** don't put back old cfg file as it will go back doing the same thing untill you lacate the problem .bye

"With the new PC, I get into windowed mode fine, as ever, but when I try to go back to full screen my second monitor goes black"This is normal, there is nothing wrong. You can move any sub panels to that monitor but you won't see anything else unless you use Windowed mode. I move my taskbar to the second monitor, close the 'ALT' menu in FSX, and using windowed mode, it's almost the same as full screen.

Jay

Guest KINGawal
"With the new PC, I get into windowed mode fine, as ever, but when I try to go back to full screen my second monitor goes black"This is normal, there is nothing wrong. You can move any sub panels to that monitor but you won't see anything else unless you use Windowed mode. I move my taskbar to the second monitor, close the 'ALT' menu in FSX, and using windowed mode, it's almost the same as full screen.
I'm, not going through multible screen situation now ,butfsx and fs9 have very different situations (not similar) , as ful screen in fsx gives trouble , while windowed screen in fs9 is a permanet state (almost no windowed option as 85 % is black or messedup) and he has a problem as i figure with fs9 full screen . so either instalation or display settingsand for your case as you say new compuer has no problems , well that's obvious , because specificatios are much advanced than the old one i asume and also has less programed on it and so maybe less procees in background etc... .and the old one is also aging no doubt with many problems and errors that you can or can't see .

New PC with new Win 7 x64 installation. Clean install of FS9. When I start FS9 in full screen, fine: FS on one screen, I can see the desktop on the second. I change to windowed mode (no addons, out of the box FS9.1), still all fine. When I go back to full screen again my 2nd. monitor goes black. In XP the 2nd. monitor was fine, but 50% of the time I got an FS error and the programme would close. The other 50% of the time it would make it and I'd get the full screen mode again.Not sure what you mean by 'this is normal' - you mean in Win 7 ? Normally I would expect to still see what I saw in full screen mode when FS started - before I changed to window mode and back, i.e. the desktop of the 2nd. monitor. I need to access icons on the desktop of the 2nd. monitor - that's how it has worked for the past 10 years, until this week when I went over to Windows 7 x64. Maybe I didn't explain clearly. If you could see what was happening you would know, I am sure, that there is something clearly amiss...Thanks,Martin

New PC with new Win 7 x64 installation. Clean install of FS9. When I start FS9 in full screen, fine: FS on one screen, I can see the desktop on the second. I change to windowed mode (no addons, out of the box FS9.1), still all fine. When I go back to full screen again my 2nd. monitor goes black. In XP the 2nd. monitor was fine, but 50% of the time I got an FS error and the programme would close. The other 50% of the time it would make it and I'd get the full screen mode again.Not sure what you mean by 'this is normal' - you mean in Win 7 ? Normally I would expect to still see what I saw in full screen mode when FS started - before I changed to window mode and back, i.e. the desktop of the 2nd. monitor. I need to access icons on the desktop of the 2nd. monitor - that's how it has worked for the past 10 years, until this week when I went over to Windows 7 x64. Maybe I didn't explain clearly. If you could see what was happening you would know, I am sure, that there is something clearly amiss...Thanks,Martin
HelloMartin as far as I know that is how it is in Windows 7 when running in fullscreenYou should still be able to drag a window from FS across to the other monitor but you will not be able to see the desktop.Here is a link to a MS pdf on the topic regarding FShttp://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/confirmation.aspx?FamilyID=62E19B18-A649-4AC0-AAD3-B90622B1E858&displaylang=en

I hope someone can advise here (same problem in FSX and FS9). Changing from window mode to full screen has always been a problem in my setups: in my last PC it caused FS to crash (".. FS has encountered a problem and needs to close..."), but I have simply avoided going to windowed mode and back to full screen. Now with the new PC, specs as my signature, it is important that I can do so, because a number of aircraft (PMDG, Level-D) have issues in Windows 7 64-bit in that when you access their options menus from the main FS menu bar, the screen goes black - the options menu appears behind the FS screen and you have to go to windowed mode to see it. Then I go back to full screen (or try to!) to fly - I don't like flying with the tasbar and FS menu visible.With the new PC, I get into windowed mode fine, as ever, but when I try to go back to full screen my second monitor goes black. I can only get the image back by returning to windowed mode in FS, or quitting FS altogether. I tried things with just one monitor - that too goes black.I suppose this is a drivers issue? - though all the many nVidia 8700 drivers I tried on my old XP 32-bit gave the same problem. In which case I am probably not going to ba able to resolve it. There aren't a whole lot of drivers for the nVidia GTX series (I have 460 2GB version) in a Windows 7 x64 setup to choose from. I had the 258.96 (I think - the new PC's just given up the ghost and had to go back to the manufacturer. Great!!) and I tried the 260.63. Both the same - except that the latter don't retain my nVidia control panel settings properly after a reboot.If anyone has any ideas how to resolve or get around this, I'll be most interested. As it is, looks like I will have to fly a number of a/c in window mode until (hope!) I can get this fixed.Thanks,Martin
Martin - Tabs (Ryan) from PMDG posted something with regard to the new nVidia drivers. As mentioned before you have to install the correct driver based on your operating system.Follow the instructions that Tabs has provided:http://forum.avsim.net/topic/291720-how-to-set-aa-in-fs9-and-fsx-for-nvidias-2xxxx-drivers-now-with-working-transparency-aa/page__view__findpost__p__1803598Also as mentioned before you can safely delete the FSX and FS9.cfg and they will be rebuilt when starting each of the sims. Ensure that you set your FSX resolution settings to the native resolution of your monitor which you can find online.

\Robert Hamlich/

Seen one or two people post here that with Radeon HD 5xxx series cards they are not getting this problem. Anyone with an HD 5 series card able to back that up?I see I didn't make things clear - my fault. I am not trying to drag an FS window onto another screen. FS starts fine in full screen, only when I change to window and back do I get a black screen (and in PMDG 747 the little window change bar moves over onto the black screen - it looks very odd). What I want is to be able to have FS9 on one screen and FS Navigator (or similar in FSX) on the other, but as the screen blacks out I can no longer see FSNav. In XP I never had this particular problem.The video drivers were installed by overclockers, who built the pC for me - I checked, they are the right ones for Windows 7 x64. There are some new betas out, I tested them too, but no change. Couldn't find any orther drivers apart from those two for the GTX 4 series in Win7 x64.Thanks for the leads, I will check them out - when I get the PC back! Seems the M/B HDD controller has given up the ghost and the whole rig has had to go back to the manufacturer for a new M/B. Jeez, how unlucky can I get? I only had the thing four days!!!Martin

Simple solution:Open Task manager (CRTL-AlT-DEL)Double click on FSX and Voila!
What does that accomplish?

\Robert Hamlich/

Just to say (better late than never) that the replacement PC does switch between full and windowed mode OK - a GTX470 this time, and later drivers..M.