Sign in to follow this  
apollomaker

CTD: An Update and Observations

Hello All --- well, just wanted to pass along my experiments and observations relative to the frustrating CTD issue in FSX.I have been testing over the past week, to try and isolate (by my own observations) any possible obvious actions I may have been taking to cause this.First, I am running a high-end system, Phenom II based, with 8 GB of RAM, and Windows 7 - 64 Bit. Totally stock, no overclocking or anything special attached, other than I am running McAfee anti-virus during all my test flights. I also had added earlier, the HIMEMFIX=1 parameter to the fsx.cfg file because it did help the frequency of the CTDs I was experiencing before. I tested five different aircraft, all complex high end add-ons from various suppliers, and tested each in a long, cross country flight plan which none ever completed. During the flights, I would occasionally make changes (deliberately) to the running setup using the tool bar at the top of the FSX window. Typical changes were made to views, weather, etc. Nothing unusual.All would go well with no problems or issues, until after about 2.5 hours (average) of flying time. The CTD would ONLY occur when an attempt was made to modify a setting, bring up a view, etc. BUT ONLY THEN. No CTD was ever experienced during "undisturbed" flight. I also monitored the memory usage using Task Master. Even though significant differences were noticed in memory usage and behaviors between the different planes tested, still there was no significant difference noticed in the CTD timing or frequency in general. I should add that I get no error messages. FSX just goes into the classical "not responding" state, screen goes light, then offers the restart selection window.This is probably what many others are observing as well, but wanted to put up another data point. Any comments or other observations appreciated. Regards.

Guest firehawk44
Hello All --- well, just wanted to pass along my experiments and observations relative to the frustrating CTD issue in FSX.I have been testing over the past week, to try and isolate (by my own observations) any possible obvious actions I may have been taking to cause this.First, I am running a high-end system, Phenom II based, with 8 GB of RAM, and Windows 7 - 64 Bit. Totally stock, no overclocking or anything special attached, other than I am running McAfee anti-virus during all my test flights. I also had added earlier, the HIMEMFIX=1 parameter to the fsx.cfg file because it did help the frequency of the CTDs I was experiencing before. I tested five different aircraft, all complex high end add-ons from various suppliers, and tested each in a long, cross country flight plan which none ever completed. During the flights, I would occasionally make changes (deliberately) to the running setup using the tool bar at the top of the FSX window. Typical changes were made to views, weather, etc. Nothing unusual.All would go well with no problems or issues, until after about 2.5 hours (average) of flying time. The CTD would ONLY occur when an attempt was made to modify a setting, bring up a view, etc. BUT ONLY THEN. No CTD was ever experienced during "undisturbed" flight. I also monitored the memory usage using Task Master. Even though significant differences were noticed in memory usage and behaviors between the different planes tested, still there was no significant difference noticed in the CTD timing or frequency in general. I should add that I get no error messages. FSX just goes into the classical "not responding" state, screen goes light, then offers the restart selection window.This is probably what many others are observing as well, but wanted to put up another data point. Any comments or other observations appreciated. Regards.
Whenever you get the not responding error message and restart, it was a crash. Check your Event Viewer for the approx time when the crash occurred and you should see the offending program/file that caused the crash. Most of the time it will give you the clues to determine what specifically caused the crash. I know you said you have no overclocking but I'm wondering if your system is overclocked (by the manufacturer) in ANY way. This could put added stress on your system after flying 2 and a half hours, cause something to overheat, and subsequently cause a crash. Also make sure all your memory modules are working properly. Three of the modules may be working properly and one is not causing the crash. In other words, this is a system problem not FSX (unless you have all the sliders moved to the right or maxed out). FSX just puts more stress on your system than anything else. You can also try one of these benchmarking programs like 3d Mark Vantage and turn it up to the max and see if it crashes your system.Best regards,Jim

Guest jahman
(snip)The CTD would ONLY occur when an attempt was made to modify a setting, bring up a view, etc. BUT ONLY THEN.
Since you are running Win 7 64-bit, you might be running into the UIAutomationCore.dll bug.Cheers,- jahman.