Sign in to follow this  
michal

Attaining frequencies during flight...

Greetings,Perhaps a silly question but someone else might learn from it also....Where can I get listed frequencies for runway localizer/glidescope when starting decent for a landing?. COF gives which runway and that's it. Can the kneeboard have it? or do I have to pause the sim and get it somewhere else?? I usually just have the gps guide me to the runway and I follow the "glidescope lights" down to a landing. But I would like to really start using the ILS glidescope instead. ANy helps is greatly appreciated!!Mountaineer!!!

Guest Rafael Cervera

If you go to menu WOrld>>Map then click on the destination airport some frequency info comes up.But a better option is to install FS Navigator and then just press F9 :)

Guest wathomas777

Two sources. Map View.....(will freeze the flight), or through the GPS. The GPS primer in the "learning center" can unlock a whole world of functionality through the GPS.....Good Luck...Will.Any landing you walk away from is a good one...At least you didn't have to run away from it....

Guest patch

Hi MountaineerThere is a little zip file from back in the FS2000 days called RwyInfoGuage.zip that will put a guage entitled Rwy Info on your panel in whatever location you choose. A click on this, enter your ICAO code and all the info is there. It does work in FS9 cos I am using it.Regards Pat

Guest Edam

Yep, RwyInfoGuage is the way to go. I place that in all my panels.

Not all GPS's do this, but the Garmins do have the capability to load the NAV and the COM frequencies for you from the onboard database. This is a feature that Garmin put in their panels. But you do have to read the manual to learn how to do this.But I do think there are a lot of real-world pilots out there that don't know how to use the installed GPS panel mounts to the fullest capability as the knowledge base is not out there for the flight schools and instructors. It's not a topic that's required for the flight test. So most renter pilots out there probably muck around just using it for D-> direct to waypoint.Having the Garmin simulator helps immensely, I wish Bendix/King did the same thing. Otherwise I'd have to spend time at the airport sitting in a hot aircraft running the battery down learning how to use the darned thing...Woodreau

>the fullest capability as the knowledge base is not out there>for the flight schools and instructors. It's not a topic>that's required for the flight test. Therefore for example Cirrus Aircraft recommends 10 hours of ground school for their SR20 and 22. The 10-hr ground school is automatically included as part of your familiarization with the aircraft when you buy a fraction of an SR2*.Rental aircraft typically are not very well equippped - if they have a GPS it is usually some inexpensive model, definitely not in the GNS 430/530 league. 430/530 is truly a flight management system, not just a GPS.FLYING mag had an article on pilots flying in IFR and using say Garmin 430 without ever reading the manual. I will never be their passenger for sure.Michael J.