Sign in to follow this  
bogbrain

Help Needed / Very strange!

On firing up fsx today I have run into a serious problem.All my add on scenery has disappeared from the settings scenery library and so FSX itself.Upon checking in the "Scenery.cfg file" in C:Program Data/Microsoft/FSX everything is still there as are all the files in the main FSX folders.Anyone have any ideas how to resolve this situation?

Guest KINGawal
On firing up fsx today Anyone have any ideas how to resolve this situation?
I bit you deleted them by mistake , or by restoring system etc..now for scenery.cfg corruption, is simply because you install and uninstall SCENERIES . be carefull when you install a scenery you make sure it can be uninstalled without damage .Noe to solve this , is to start fsx installation and chose REPAIR FSX . after that you can also CREATE A RESTORE POINT ,so when FSX is corrupted you restore it ..Bye Bye

I suggest an addon manager like AdditPro or Jackie Brouze JABx (wich is free). They will restore you .cfg file without need to reinstall anythingRV

On firing up fsx today I have run into a serious problem.All my add on scenery has disappeared from the settings scenery library and so FSX itself.Upon checking in the "Scenery.cfg file" in C:Program Data/Microsoft/FSX everything is still there as are all the files in the main FSX folders.Anyone have any ideas how to resolve this situation?

There are back up scenery.cfg's in the FSX root folder and the fsx.cfg folder, copy over one of those to the (active) scenery.cfg location: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX

There are back up scenery.cfg's in the FSX root folder and the fsx.cfg folder, copy over one of those to the (active) scenery.cfg location: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX
If you have a complex and/or great number of add-on scenery configuration that you'd like to keep, I respectfully suggest that after the location of the working copy of your Scenery.Cfg is identified, you first make a ZIP backup of that file BEFORE over-writing it ! :( Then if a Scenery.Cfg repair is all that is required, the proper utility will repair it in a split second.. and you'll be back up and running without a re-install / re-configuration (which on some people's very complex FS systems is a nightmare from hell !). FYI: I have seen this occur when, in the process of making / testing add-on scenery, I inadvertently dragged/moved the entire [FS install path]\Addon Scenery\Scenery folder out of its default location, resulting in blank "Area" layer entries in the FSX scenery library user interface.Is this what you see... or do none of the add-on sceneries / objects display in an actual FS flight where they normally would ? :( If none of the add-on sceneries/objects display in an actual FS flight where they normally would, you may have a damaged Scenery.Cfg file or worse yet damage to the scenery index files in the FSX application data file areas on the C: drive.The easiest to repair of course would be the "working copy" of the Scenery.Cfg file.NOTE: The Scenery.Cfg file in the main root FSX folder is only a "template" used when creating/re-creating the working copy which FSX places elsewhere on the C: drive.IIUC, we're interested in fixing ANOTHER copy elsewhere... and that location varies with the version of Windows in use on your system. B) Before doing this, it would be best, IMHO, to do a quick test of whether the Scenery.Cfg and scenery library mechanism is otherwise intact.In the FSX scenery library user interface, can you "Add Area" and after FSX re-indexes, do you see the "label text" for that newly added area in the list box (even if the other entries are showing check boxes but not displaying label text ?Then, during a test flight in the newly added area, are you able to see the pertinent scenery /objects ?If so one could likely resolve this by either of the above methods:1.) Making sure that there is an intact [FS install path]\Addon Scenery\Scenery folder (FSX seems to require one... even if it's empty ! :( )2.) Repair the Scenery.Cfg with a special utility (I can recommend one I've used for years).If you're interested in possibly fixing this without having to re-install FSX and all your add-ons, please state in a reply here, what version of Windows you are using on your system. Hope this helps you to better define the nature of your "scenery" scenario for us so we can be of further help. Angel.gif GaryGB

Guest KINGawal
By the way , just to indicate , FSX repair doesnt install or reinstall anything , it just repairs the installation and confirms launch of fsx .by checking file integrity (nothing missing) and and applies best working sttings for fsx to be as fresh installed .

By the way , just to indicate , FSX repair doesnt install or reinstall anything , it just repairs the installation and confirms launch of fsx .by checking file integrity (nothing missing) and and applies best working sttings for fsx to be as fresh installed .
Say what?If there is a corrupt file ( bad CRC, etc) the repair option will certainly install it. If there is a missing file, it will be reinstalled. What it doesn't do is a complete reinstallation - only corrupt, damaged or missing files. Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Guest KINGawal
Say what?
I bit bet you know my shoe mark by now . you actukay got used to it.a gain don't say what say yes sir .nomaid. !!! FSWI.

Hi GarryBI am currently using Windows 7 64 bit and would appreciate the link to the special utility to "Repair the Scenery.Cfg" you mention in your reply.Yes if I add scenery manually within FSX it shows up also if I copy across a specific scenery from a saved Scenery.cfg file it also shows up in the sim.I have tried copying an entire saved Scenery.cfg into the Scenery.cfg folder but get an error when trying to save it (something about file formats), I was going to attempt to just delete the Scenery.cfg in the Program Data file (after making a copy) and then adding a saved Scenery.cfg and renaming it from "Scenery.cfg before installing...." and then deleting the scenery.cfg folder in FSX and letting it re-compile it and seeing whether that worked???But I would like to try your suggestion of the repair utility first.

I bit bet you know my shoe mark by now . you actukay got used to it.a gain don't say what say yes sir .nomaid. !!! FSWI.
Say what?

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I have tried copying an entire saved Scenery.cfg into the Scenery.cfg folder but get an error when trying to save it (something about file formats),
Have you tried opening the old config and copying/pasting the info in to the new config? You should be able to get around the file extension issue doing it that way. Of course, you may end up with the same error.As mentioned, if there is something wrong with the order of things, it could affect your add on scenery folder's position in the scenery.cfg. One error can have a ripple effect.Also, that scenery.cfg repair utility could help. I'd be interested in it as well. I had something like that a few years ago but I can't find it anymore.For me, the best practice is to add scenery manually to the scenery.cfg and to verify everything is in the correct order after using installers. I never touch the scenery library in the sim. It takes more time and you have to be careful but it keeps things in order. In my config, the area number and layer number always match. It makes it easier to find errors. If you used the scenery library, things can get pretty messy. When I have to check for errors, I copy the contents of the .cfg in to Excel and sort it so all layer numbers and area number are sequential. It makes it easy to spot missing area numbers or duplicates.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Guest KINGawal
I bit bet you know my shoe mark by now . you actually got used to it.a gain don't say what say yes sir .nomaid. !!! FSWI.
اقول تراك يالفسوي الممحون دبلت كبدي Black%20Eye.gifShame%20On%20You.gif --:(

Hi GaryGB:I am currently using Windows 7 64 bit and would appreciate the link to the special utility to "Repair the Scenery.Cfg" you mention in your reply.1.) Yes if I add scenery manually within FSX it shows up in the sim2.) If I copy across a specific scenery from a saved Scenery.cfg file it also shows up in the sim.3.) I have tried copying an entire saved Scenery.cfg into the Scenery.cfg folder, but get an error when trying to save it (something about file formats).4.) I was going to attempt to just delete the (template... not working copy) Scenery.cfg in the [main root FS install folder] under \Program Data (after making a backup copy)a.) and then replacing it with a saved "Scenery.cfg.backup" renamed to "Scenery.cfg" before installing....b.) and then deleting (over-writing) the (original template) scenery.cfg file in the [main root FSX install folder]c.) and letting FSX re-compile it when FSX is next re-startedd.) and seeing whether that worked ???But I would like to try your suggestion of the repair utility first.
Hello:I hope my edits of your quoted reply show I've interpreted you correctly. :( First, and most importantly, do NOT tinker with the template copy of Scenery.cfg in the [main root FS install folder] which is located in a "default" installation at:Windows XP: C:\Program Data\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\OR:Windows 7 64-bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\FYI: The working copy of Scenery.Cfg is likely to be found in Windows 7 64-bit at:C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSXFYI: You may not find that folder chain... unless you use the Win7 "Personalization Control Panel" to access "Folder Options"Once inside enable "Folder Options" > View tab > Advanced Settings, use the check boxes to enable "Show hidden folders and folders".While in "Folder Options" > View tab > Advanced Settings, one might also wish to disable "Hide protected operating system files" just in case Win7 tries to "un-do" changed files located in the C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\ folder chain.I'm not sure if User Account Control ("UAC") will give you any trouble with this in Win7. :( If you have a non-default installation of FSX, find your working copy of Scenery.Cfg first before doing this; make a ZIP backup of it too...With FSX not running in memory:1.) Download "FSSCENERY.ZIP" ("Utility to sort and renumber scenery.cfg layers" from:http://home.earthlink.net/~smgreenwood/resources-g.shtml (old URL)or:http://fst.stevemg.net/resources-g.shtml (new URL)2.) Un-ZIP "FSSCENERY.ZIP" to a folder3.) Copy "FSTscenery.exe" to the same folder as your working copy of Scenery.Cfg4.) In the same folder as your working copy of Scenery.Cfg, double-click "FSTscenery.exe"NOTE: (FSTscenery dialog says: "New scenery.cfg created ['x'] scenery entries included)"5.) Click "OK" button, then re-start FSXIn FSX Menu > Settings > Scenery Library, see if your FSX scenery library area list text is now visibleIf the FSX scenery library area list text is still NOT visible, there may be "other" problems with your FSX installation affecting function of the scenery library area layer list.Please let us know how this particular attempted Scenery.Cfg repair approach worked for you. :( GaryGB