Sign in to follow this  
spotlope

what is ansiotropic (sp?) filtering for

Guest panda234

Is it worth the fps hit? I've had to turn AA off, wondering if I should turn this off too. Have a Geforce 3 200i btw. Thx!rgds,billg

Guest panzerschiffe

Makes your textures appear sharper. A worthy option to make maximum use of if you can still get some performance.

It helps by turning the brown scenery "soup" in the distance into detail and getting rid of autogen shimmering.. Experiment with it on and off and decide if it is worth the fps hit on your system. On newer cards, you can run at least 2xAF without fps penalty..

Bert

Just for giggles, although I'm still not exactly positive how it works in graphics cards, here's Webster's take:AnisotropicPronunciation: "a-"nI-s&-'tr

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Guest christian

You have to add all 3 previous answers to get the right answer.Bilinear / trilinear filtering works ok as long as you see a texture from straight ahead. If you see a texture from an angle you get artifacts. Anisotropic fitering corrects those artifacts, as it takes the direction from which you're looking at the texture into account.Honestly, I can mostly barely spot the difference, and since anisotropic filtering really eats framerates, it's not a bad idea to leave this off on low end systems (unless you're really concerended about the small quality loss).Cheers, Christian

>Honestly, I can mostly barely spot the difference, and since>anisotropic filtering really eats framerates, it's not a bad>idea to leave this off on low end systems (unless you're>really concerended about the small quality loss).>>Cheers, ChristianHehe, you haven't seen it on a high end system - it makes a HUGE difference if you can really crank it up. I was running FS2004 8XAA and 4XAF on my brother's new comp a few weeks back and the difference with the AF on was amazing.Ryan

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest PaulL01

>Is it worth the fps hit? I've had to turn AA off, wondering>if I should turn this off too. Have a Geforce 3 200i btw.>Thx!>>rgds,>billgHere is some good old info for you using the GF3 with pics included:http://www.nvnews.net/previews/geforce3/anisotropic.shtml(16 sample Aniso=2x 32 samples=4x and 64 samples=8x)And here are some FS2k2 benchmarks for you:http://www.frontiernet.net/~pleatzaw/revie...%20vs%20GF4.htm

Guest panda234

Cool! Thx for the info. AA and AF are almost totally video card dependant are they not? Meaning that upgrading from a G3 Ti200 to an ATI 9800 pro should allow me to set both AA and AF at relatively high levels independant of CPU? Although I have a 2.6ghz with 1gb RAM, so that shouldn't be an issue I hope.Thx again!rgds,billg

Just upgraded from a GF3 Ti200 to an ATI Radeon non-pro myself. I have AA set to max (6x) and AF set to max (16x) and my frame rate sits pegged at 30fps (30fps frame rate lock) most times. Heck, I even watch TV on the secondary display during flight (gotta have inflight entertainment hey :) ) and it barely drops the FPS. In comparison, my GF3 Ti200 winced if I turned AA or AF up over 2x and TV was a nogo during takeoff and landing due to frame rate hit.Me happy Radeon 9800 camper :)Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Guest Jack172

Jimmy,Excellent pics to demo the filter use. I had mine turned off, can't believe the improvment turning it on makes.In fact running at 1024x768 6x AA and 16X AF, looks better than 1600x1200 did with the options off. And I get similar framerates.