Sign in to follow this  
luckyman

Noctua nh-d14 problem

Hey everyone.I just picked up a Noctua nh-d14 cooler from a local store and I've installed it, now I'm looking at the idle temps on my i7-930 they read 35, 30, 31 ,35C I can't remember my stock temps but are these numbers too high under CoreTemp 0.99.7 I'm just wondering before I sart overclocking!ThanksLuckyman

Guest simmer9304

Err... too high? Low 30's for air cooling seems good. Check your load temps and see what they are. My temperature ranger is 37 at idle and 56 under load. That's using an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro.What're you gonna overclock it to? (I'm pretty sure you asked me this a week or two ago :Big Grin: )

Oh nice! Yeah, I just tooks it from 2.8Ghz to 3.6Ghz with no voltage after 5 mins of Prime 95 the highest temp is 57C

Oh nice! Yeah, I just tooks it from 2.8Ghz to 3.6Ghz with no voltage after 5 mins of Prime 95 the highest temp is 57C
Run OCCT - for FSX it's a better bench than Prime because it tests the memory/cpu together. With the I7 cpu's - use realtemp and NOT the OCCT temp for testing.I run at 4.43 with the DH14 and under MAX OCCT load I get to 70C on Core 5 - idle around 32 - 36.You should be just fine.Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Run OCCT - for FSX it's a better bench than Prime because it tests the memory/cpu together. With the I7 cpu's - use realtemp and NOT the OCCT temp for testing.I run at 4.43 with the DH14 and under MAX OCCT load I get to 70C on Core 5 - idle around 32 - 36.You should be just fine.Vic
Thank you. So I did it :P 4Ghz overclock YES!! Stable under OCCT I'm using Vcore of 1.45 which is a bit high but my temps are nver higher than 72C!!

Guest simmer9304

Isn't 72 a little high? I heard that's the point you shouldn't go past... but good to hear you got it to 4ghz! Now go fly and enjoy that smoothness!

Luckyman, You should be able to reduce your Vcore by quite a bit. I'm running a 930 @ 4.0 with a Vcore of 1.34 stable on OCCT.

NAX669.png

Big coolers tend to perform just as good as smaller coolers with low thermal load (like a dual code at stock clocks or an idling CPU) but it's the overclocked load temps that count, and then - size is everything! That's why big cooler reviews at stock clocks are totally meaningless. On an i7-920 at stock clock, the difference between an NH-D14 and CM Hyper 212+ (a quarter of the price of a Noctua) is only a couple of degrees.

@ Ivan but i'm not running stock so that's why I got it!!@mwilk Yeah but my temperatures are resonasble so I don't see a reason to risk BOSDs

@ Ivan but i'm not running stock so that's why I got it!!
I was just making a general point :)People sometimes buy big coolers and get surprised when the idle temps aren't much lower than the stock cooler's idle temp. :)

@mwilk Yeah but my temperatures are resonasble so I don't see a reason to risk BOSDs
I agree with mwilk, a couple of BSOD's won't damage your system and the over voltage and temps you'll have at 1.45 will probably be worse in the long run. Keep in mind 1.4 is the absolute maximum recomended by intel. I'm sure that it will still be rock solid stable at 1.37 for example, but keeping it at the minimimum Vcore is always good practice. Some people don't mind using that much Vcore, and it may not be a problem, but if you are going to do that I would say go for 4.2GHz @ 1.45Your choice of course

Luckyman, You should be able to reduce your Vcore by quite a bit. I'm running a 930 @ 4.0 with a Vcore of 1.34 stable on OCCT.
yes - my 980 @ 4.43 is also at 1.34.Start working that downVic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I don't know... I guess I'll try to get that Vcore down but I don't really want to go to 4.2Ghz. There's not point.

I don't know... I guess I'll try to get that Vcore down but I don't really want to go to 4.2Ghz. There's not point.
Hi Luckyman,I think that 1.45 is really too high to be safe. I run my i930 at 4.34ghz at 1.4125 or thereabouts whereas a lot of other people can do it with less. I would be very cautious with anything much over that. I can run at 4.4 with that voltage, but turn it back to build in a greater safety margin.Kind regards,