Sign in to follow this  
Guest xoio

Editing existing aircraft mdl in Gmax ???

Guest xoio

Hi all,I understand when using Gmax, you have to apparently use a tool called makemdl.exe to convert the plane into the .mdl file for the sim to use. However makemdl.exe can't seem to reverse the process? & I cannot find any way to 'import' mdl files in Gmax. Does anyone know if a tool/program exists that CAN reverse the process to allow you to edit already existing aircraft, that were CREATED originally in GMAX?I am flying a plane that I would like to get back into Gmax as a basis to work on & change it's shape to my suiting. (Basically it needs it's appearance changing to match the performance i've created. -It is a concept plane, before you ask! :-) )I am a complete Gmax novice, so starting from scratch is too great-a-task at the moment, I'd rather import a plane & learn by changing it.NOTE: It is NOT my intention to rip off someone else's model, - Any aircraft hybrid i create will be for my own private use. And if i ever do release it, i will ensure it bares little or no similarity to the original.Hope someone can help...Al

Guest A386

Not a big problem with the mdl decompiler that was a topic here some months ago. However, you might have difficulties to find that tool now. Many aircraft designers were upset and a big cloud of legal blabla prevented that tool to go public "officially".

Guest Milton

Have you thought to write the author and request permission to use the original source gmax file?There are also sample aircraft included with the gmax package that can be used to push some vertices around. Have you looked there?There are also several gmax source files available on the net that may be used to learn from or to improve. Try FFDS.Then there is the P-38 included in the gmax tutorial that you can use for a start.Milton

Do a search for mdl compiler in Google. There is one there but you will have to look a little bit for it - took me about 5 minutes or so searching the various sites on offer to find it.If I quote the direct link here I will probably bring the whole world down about my ears.If you need something Google will almost always find it - if it exists.David

"If I quote the direct link here I will probably bring the whole world down about my earsDavid"You're probably right!I wouldn't want someone "hacking" in to my hard work!!Regards, Michaelhttp://mysite.verizon.net/res052cd/mybannercva1.jpgCalVirAir International VAwww.calvirair.comCougar Mountain Helicopters & Aviationwww.cgrmtnhelos.com

Best, Michael

KDFW

I have a question allied to this one.I have downloaded a few original planes that in the README files state something like "original Gmax file included" (sorry I can't remember which planes had this at the moment).I assumed that meant the native (pre-mdl converted) file would be included, but when I start up Gmax and try to open any of the files, it never recognises them.What is the file suffix required for Gmax to read a file?I'm interested because I want to look at some Gmax examples so I can familiarise myself with the program.Bottle

Guest xoio

With all due respect,My intentions, are for strictly personal use only, to aid in the creation of something that would ultimately be very different from the original. If i ever did decide to release something, i would, out of respect, & after asking permission, FULLY recognise the original authors work.What you're implying is to use some-elses work, release it, when it obviously looks like someones else creation, then claim it as your own!. This is clearly NOT what i intend to do.And besides that, I am an adult asking for an intelligent 'answer'.NOT some child needing a 'lecture' in whats right & wrong!ThankyouAl

This thread sounds interesting and referencing this with the other thread of 'who fly's using VC exclusively', what would be nice is to combine the default 737 VC with the excellent FFX 737-3,4,500 Gmax model. One of the biggest reasons I don't fly some of the recent Gmax releases (FFX 737, DC-10, Posky 747-300) is because they don't have a VC. They're great for taking screen shots, but unfortunately I spend my simming time flying not 'possing'.What would be nice in the next iteration of MSFS is to have seperate models, one for the plane the other for the VC-Cabin-Wingviews. One could alias the VC to any aircraft similiar to aliasing panels.

Al, again, with all due respect, that is NOT what I implied and my post was not directed at you, it was a general statement aimed at others that will read this and not have your moral guidelines towards what is right and wrong, sorry if you took it as a "lecture".With the right intentions and following moral guidelines, you have a very valid point, there are not many aircraft that I am 100% happy with the design, sure I would like to modify it to my needs, but that is why I started designing. If someone took a scenery macro that took me an hour or 2 to make and "hacked" it, I wouldn't be that bothered with it, but to take something that I have spent months on, even a year and do that AND turn around upload it as there own, I would be pretty upset. I have gotten good results by contacting the original author and nicely asking for something to be fixed, courtesy goes a long way!I wouldn't have a problem with the intentions you stated in your original post, but many others that share your intentions will not include your morality!Then again, everyone has their own view as to what is right and wrong!Regards, Michaelhttp://mysite.verizon.net/res052cd/mybannercva1.jpgCalVirAir International VAwww.calvirair.comCougar Mountain Helicopters & Aviationwww.cgrmtnhelos.com

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest xoio

MichaelThankyou for the kind reply. To explore construction in Gmax etc is something that I am interested in. It's just that on this occasion, i am working with an existing plane that i would like to use as the basis for a hybrid, both visually & performance-wise.I absolutely agree with your point as well about having work that you've spent months on, being plagerised by someone who is lazy & only interested in theft of other peoples work.In this instance, I have also send a very polite email, asking permission from the original author of the plane, to kindly send me the original Gmax source files for me to work with.I'll see what happens....Kind RegardsAl