Sign in to follow this  
Nandan Patel

Windows 7 FS2004

I have a new system:i950 @ 3.07GHZ4gb RAM1GB GraphicsWindows 7 Pro 64bitIt seems I still have my old drives with FS2004 still in my computer and everything is still there, so I might not need to reinstall everything! But it doesn't seem to work! Can someone help me make this work.I might need to reinstall, can someone give me directions on how to, or atleast make my old FS9 work, which is still on my system...

Well to be honest, since you did format for windows 7 why not fully uninstall fs9 and reinstall fs9, so you have a complete NEW installed system and FS? I know it's a pain but as you said it's not working, you just might aswell fresh install everything. Sorry that I can't help, and no harms just my 2cents.

I have a new system:i950 @ 3.07GHZ4gb RAM1GB GraphicsWindows 7 Pro 64bitIt seems I still have my old drives with FS2004 still in my computer and everything is still there, so I might not need to reinstall everything! But it doesn't seem to work! Can someone help me make this work.I might need to reinstall, can someone give me directions on how to, or atleast make my old FS9 work, which is still on my system...
Nandan,All depends on what you have installed.Airplanes should be reinstalled because a lot of patware packages require that they are registered in the registry of your windows.The same goes for all software that has an outside program that you have to run.Take REX for example.You have to run the program to make in interact with FS9/FsX. So again, have to reinstall.In the unlikely case you have only put some new textures in by hand (copy and paste) then you could make a copy of that directory, reinstall a fresh copy of FS-9 in the same location as the original one and copy the directory back.You could try to do the same with your whole FS-9 directory.Make a complete copy, reinstall Fs-9 from scratch in your new Windows 7 and copy your backup over it.For some addon's it will work (I have done it myself) but for most of them, it's going to result in a complete reinstall.And, as the previous poster already points out, a complete new installation is the best you can do.PLEASE, make sure that, if you go that way, NEVER EVER install it as a user. ALWAYS make sure you right-click and choose to install as an administrator.And oh, do not forget!!! Don not install FS-9 (or Fs-X for that matter) in their default location. Best is to place it on a second HD or at least on a different partition.I'm sure that this advice is like kicking in an open door... but sometimes people forget the most obvious.Good luckLuc BrusselmansBelgium

Nandan,And oh, do not forget!!! Don not install FS-9 (or Fs-X for that matter) in their default location. Best is to place it on a second HD or at least on a different partition.I'm sure that this advice is like kicking in an open door... but sometimes people forget the most obvious.Good luckLuc BrusselmansBelgium
LucWhy? I'm not saying you are wrong, please don't misunderstand, I just want to know why this is better because I don't know much about computers.Thanks.

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Nandan,And oh, do not forget!!! Don not install FS-9 (or Fs-X for that matter) in their default location. Best is to place it on a second HD or at least on a different partition.I'm sure that this advice is like kicking in an open door... but sometimes people forget the most obvious.Good luckLuc BrusselmansBelgium
I don't understand why you won't install FS to it's default locations. I have and don't have any issues. In my experiance when a program is designed by default to install in the programs file folder, if you install to another location, windows now must search for that new location and keep doing so everytime there's a request for it. So you're eating up cpu cycles when windows is checking the default location for that program, can't find it and then must goto the new location.That's the way Microsoft designed windows to work and the way Microsoft designed FS to work within windows. I believe if you're having access problems to FS in the program files folder, then you don't have your windows install setup correctly.

Bill McIntyre

Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel Core I7 6950X (10 core)@ 4.5, 32GB's Crucial Ballistics DDR4 MEM, 1 Crucial M.2 4TB SSD, 4 Crucial-2TB SSD, Corsair H115i CPU liquid cooler, NVIDIA RTX 2080TI Founders Edition, LG 34" HD Curved Monitor, 2 Dell 27" Monitors, Sound Blaster Audigy X, 1Kw PC Power & Cooling Power Supply, Corsair Obsidian Full tower Case.  FSX-SE, MFFS 2020, PD3 v5.4, WIN10 Pro x64                                                                                                                                             

I don't understand why you won't install FS to it's default locations.
FS9 is a winXP program. win7 sees many of the program's functions as 'threats to the system' and stops their operation. the problem, in part, is UAC.faults in operation are more common with high-fidelity addon aircaft.best is to install any FS version into it's on custom directory outside the default win7 'programs' directory. a second HD is even better.
I have and don't have any issues.
you have been lucky ... VERY lucky.--

D. Scobie, feelThere support forum moderator: https://forum.simflight.com/forum/169-feelthere-support-forums/

FS9 is a winXP program. win7 sees many of the program's functions as 'threats to the system' and stops their operation. the problem, in part, is UAC.faults in operation are more common with high-fidelity addon aircaft.best is to install any FS version into it's on custom directory outside the default win7 'programs' directory. a second HD is even better.you have been lucky ... VERY lucky.--
I don't believe luck has anything to do with installing FS9 programs into Win7 Prog files folder. It's best to turn off UAC when installing any FS9 program and you can always install as SP2 or SP3. And install as the adminis.The only AC that gives me an issue operating in FS9 is the Flt1 ATR. When trying to program the FMC, crashes the sim. But you maybe right its luck.

Bill McIntyre

Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel Core I7 6950X (10 core)@ 4.5, 32GB's Crucial Ballistics DDR4 MEM, 1 Crucial M.2 4TB SSD, 4 Crucial-2TB SSD, Corsair H115i CPU liquid cooler, NVIDIA RTX 2080TI Founders Edition, LG 34" HD Curved Monitor, 2 Dell 27" Monitors, Sound Blaster Audigy X, 1Kw PC Power & Cooling Power Supply, Corsair Obsidian Full tower Case.  FSX-SE, MFFS 2020, PD3 v5.4, WIN10 Pro x64                                                                                                                                             

I might clear up one of my old drives which has stuff from old system and merge it, (it was partitioned). Then ill have space for just games and could install fs9 onto that drive...Best option huh.180gb enough for upgrading fs9 heaps? With heaps of cool addons...

Just to add my 2cInstalling FS9 on a 2nd harddrive separate from the OS definitely solved some slight stuttering problems for me. It just makes sense too.The more of your hardware you can use the better I suppose.

I don't understand why you won't install FS to it's default locations. I have and don't have any issues. In my experiance when a program is designed by default to install in the programs file folder, if you install to another location, windows now must search for that new location and keep doing so everytime there's a request for it. So you're eating up cpu cycles when windows is checking the default location for that program, can't find it and then must goto the new location.That's the way Microsoft designed windows to work and the way Microsoft designed FS to work within windows. I believe if you're having access problems to FS in the program files folder, then you don't have your windows install setup correctly.
Bigmack,sorry to disagree here.When you install a program to whatever location, this location is written down in the registry of your operating system. So the operating system is never left in the dark to where it can find your program.tell you a little secret of my setup.?I have 7 different folders in which Fs_9 is situated. How? easy enough. I installed it once and made copies which I renamed.So I have a copy with my PMDG aircraft, one with my airbusses, one with a lot of vfr scenery for flying low and slow (scnery not used when flying the big ones)... I activate those different folders by renaming them to the original Fs-9 folder (like the one I installed it in the first place - D:\Flight Simulator 9) and they work perfectly without any loss of framerates ...People in this forum have documented on several occasions that, from windows Vista on, the default Program files folder is not the best location to work hassl( hassleefree. This is even true for programs like Office (although they tend to have less problems with user control)And yes, even when you dissable all security (which I don't like to do) even then some small issues keep popping up when programs are installed in the default folder 'program files'.Now, when you still do so, it will not make Fs or any other program unusable. Especially when run on its own and without addon's.It's when other programs need to communicate with Fs-9 that problems CAN occur. If you haven't sofar, you are one lucky guy.I had with the very first addon plane I installed. 5not with the plane itself but with the load manager that came with it.It is just sound advice to install elsewhere. Nothing more, nothing less.I al going to enjoy some pool time.I am in Greece on the isle of Kos at the moment on vacation.Happy flying L. BrusselmansBelgium (but not at this moment

Hello.When you install FSX to a non default location that path is entered into the registry and becomes the path that is used from that point on.Windows cares not where FSX is installed, but you WILL run into problems at some point if you install into a protected folder such as Program Files (x86)Here is a link to why you may prefer to install FSX to somewhere other than Program Files (x86)They explain it better than I could.Basically pre win7 programs write their data to the wrong place in Win7, FScommander is one such programThere are others you will run into, just because you have not had problems yet may be down to the fact you don't run much third party software alongside FSX.FSX and FS9 were never designed to work in Win7 they are legacy applications that luckily run OK , with some oddities from time to time.http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?f=155&t=78476

Hello.When you install FSX to a non default location that path is entered into the registry and becomes the path that is used from that point on.Windows cares not where FSX is installed, but you WILL run into problems at some point if you install into a protected folder such as Program Files (x86)Here is a link to why you may prefer to install FSX to somewhere other than Program Files (x86)They explain it better than I could.Basically pre win7 programs write their data to the wrong place in Win7, FScommander is one such programThere are others you will run into, just because you have not had problems yet may be down to the fact you don't run much third party software alongside FSX.FSX and FS9 were never designed to work in Win7 they are legacy applications that luckily run OK , with some oddities from time to time.http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?f=155&t=78476
I understand the link that you reference. FS Coammder was not designed for Win7. So the only workaround was to install outside the x86 folder. I don't use fs commander but I use RC4, ASE, FS Fltkeeper,FS realtime, PMDG and LD 767, so I can run addon's without issue. FS9 wasn't designed for win7, but FSX was designed for Vista. That was one of the major selling points to get people to use FSX and Vista together. Win7 is the same basic concept of vista but much improved, so when installed to the default location, everything goes where it suppose to be.I think the main good point your reference made was that when a install is made it must be made as "for all users". Then you must goto that folder and tell win7 to allow all users to access that folder.

Bill McIntyre

I wonder if this is the same problem I am encountering for Airport Chart Gauge where the gauge is being installed correctly but the update of database of installed airports to read for display is not working.Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Any addons that won't work in windows 7? I have seen something about level D and PMDG not working in fs2004. Is this true? Any other addons that won't work, that i should know about...