Sign in to follow this  
ChandlerL

huge delay loading fs2004

I went from 600mhz PIII, 256mb SDRAM & TNT2 64mb video to an athlon 1.8G, 256mb ddr & geforce fx 5200 video (45.23's). It takes about three minutes from the time I start the sim get the splash screen. Once it's running it seems ok for the most part. I won't go into problems I have once it's running yet - I'm just trying to figure out why it takes so long to load. I see the same sort of delay now when I start fs2002 also. I use 98SE, and went to the onboard AC97 Audio due to memory problems using my soundblaster card. Thanks for the help!Robert

Well you should not have that issue with 256 megs of ram although I would call that the minumum for FS. It's hard to tell because we have no idea what things you have running etc. What I would do is to change to Windows XP PRO with a *Clean* format on your hard drive. If you cannot upgrade I would at least format. I format at least once every six months depending on how much installing and removing I do in this time. It's like a new system everytime...[h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/196432/winglets_lg.jpg [h3] AMD XP 2200 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF2 MX 32 MEG and still runs GOOD!|WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"[/h3]

Rob,If I may interject with some advice? :) That onboard AC97 audio is a very, very old standard (1997 to be precise). More importantly, it is a non-accelerated audio solution. When using AC97, the CPU has to do the heavy lifting for audio processing (rather than a chip-based [hardware] audio accelerator). This will negatively and possibly, dramatically, affect your gaming performance. Some benchmarks show as much as a 24%* CPU utilization on audio where sound accelerator cards from M-Audio, Creative Labs, etc., never break more than 4%*.Take care,ChanP.S. When you went to the new computer, did you use the hard drive from the new computer without a fresh windows install or was your new system a completely fresh computer?* Audio benchmark numbers acquired from multiple benchmarks sites and Ziff-Davis's Audio Winbench.