Sign in to follow this  
Guest creber1

PSS 747 panel - better with Meljet or POSKY 744?

Guest creber1

Hi,someone has any experience on whether any modifications need to be done to the Meljet or POSKY 744s when using them with the PSS 747 panel? I know the panel is not designed to be used with other than the PSS planes, but I know many people do it and so do I because I think the visual models of the Meljet and POSKY are a zillion times better than the PSS. Problems I have had with them:Meljet: looks GREAT, but has serious problems in climb and descent. Always assuming FMC mode, during climb the plane simply "ignores" the speed limit set in the FMC and roars ahead at full thrust to maximum speed, whilst climbing at 7000ft/min right until cruising alt. That bird simply has too much power... During descent, same problem, the descent is too slow, or, when using V/S mode to descend (which is invariably necessary as otherwise one is still at FL 180 just 4nm before the runway threshold) the plane is way too fast.POSKY: looks a little less nice (matter of taste, but still great), and does not have the problems during climb and descent as the Meljet, BUT it is a gas guzzler. In other words, when filling up as calculated by the PSS fuel calculation sheet or FSBuild then I am constantly running out of fuel. in other words, I have to fill up much more, increasing my GTOW and thus in extremis reducing my range. During cruise, the plane runs at around 95% N1, which I guess correlates to the high fuel consumption. Also, to take off, the POSKY needs A LOT of trim, otherwise you just would not get that bird up in the air.Anyone has an idea how to modify/"fix" either the Meljet or the POSKY to be usable with the PSS panels? Thanks a lot, that would make my dayChris

I was using the PSS 747 panel with POSKY 744 in FS2002 (since now PSS panels won't work in '04). I noticed none of the side effects you described. I never had to adjust trim at all for T/O. The aircraft rotated and climbed right on the numbers calculated in the FMC. As for your fuel-burn, I did not use the PSS fuel calculator, but used fuel burn rates supplied by POSKY (roughly 5000 lbs/hour per engine, or ~ 20,000 lbs/hour total) and used an average ground speed based on direction of flight. I then added reserves and fuel for Taxi and after crossing "the pond" 7 hours later, everything was right on the money. N1 stayed around 88 to 90% for me during cruise. I might add, I also don't use VNAV mode. I climb and decend manually and step climb as needed. You may be too high for your weight, thus requiring increased power to mantian speed.Also, I didn;t use any fancy merge files, I just aliased the PSS panel to the POSKY aircraft.Joe Wagner

Guest creber1

Joe,that's helpful, thanks a lot. Will try to see what the fuel calculations give if I use your numbers - I hope that I won't be range-limited as I intend to fly some really long trans-Pacific runs (PPT-SIN, LAX-SYD, etc)CheersChris