Sign in to follow this  
Guest JonP01

Who pays 81 euro for new textures?

From FScene: QUOTE: Per September 2003 the following FScene2004 Files will be available: FScene2004 Europe Summer Season @ 25.00 EUR FScene2004 USA&Canada Summer Season @ 25.00 EUR End of this month to be followed by the Fall textures for same areas at EUR 19.00 each. These files can can be used as replacement of FScene2002 files, without disturbing other seasons you have. _________________Ruud Faber EFC_126 - FScene Ground Textures http://www.fscene.com/This is not meant as criticism of the author's product or his right to charge whatever he believes it's worth. I'm just amazed that they're people out there willing to pay that much for new textures...even great looking ones such as these.Maybe I'm just out of touch with reality! I also hadn't planned on purchasing any of FSGenesis's stuff either until Justin's recent sale for bundled orders. Bought all five 30m terrains, 75m Canada & landclass all for less then two of the above season textures.Thanks Justin for remembering us financially challenged folks!!

System: i7-11700K, ASUS Prime Z590M-PLUS Motherboard, G-Skills Trident Z Series 64 GB DDR4 3200, Corsair RM1000x80 PLUS Gold, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll, GeForce RTX 4070 Super FE, NVIDIA Drivers 546.65, WD Blue NVMe m2  500GB SSD for Windows 10 Home v21H2,  WD Black SN850X 2 TB NVMe m2  for MSFS, Toshiba 2TB HD for data and other games, ViewSonic XG2705-2K  27" 2560x1440 144hz Monitor,  Thrustmaster Airbus flight stick, Logitech M510 wireless Mouse.

Guest RTC

I too am often surprised at some of the things people buy. But I guess the price must reflect the cost of production, and obviously people do pay that much, or the designer would not have bothered.Usually, I only buy stuff in boxes - and only from the U.K. Its not that I don't trust the sellers, but if something goes wrong, I know that there is a large company there to help. If something goes wrong with a downloaded file (ie. needs a patch), and it is a one man operation, who knows, he could be on holiday, or have decided to pack it in, as many designers do when they get pressurised by 'fans'.RTC

If you knew the effort that went into FScene you'd understand the price.I do beta testing for Ruud.(this is an example albeit an extreme one) We spent about 2 weeks to get texture just the right shade of green...Creating the full set for a single season and area takes months of fulltime work on Ruud's behalf, and given the small market volume that makes for an expensive product.I did purchase most of his FS2002 stuff, and it made all the difference.Maybe not AS much in the US, but the rest of the world looks a lot more realistic with FScene replacing the dull greens, browns and greys of the default textures.Add some landclass and you could be looking at an aerial photograph.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/35801.jpgexample of FScene2004 Europe, Switzerland.

Guest Enzoblue

Extremely nice work there. It seems you guys think that a lower asking price means less money though. It doesn't. If it were lower I would buy it in a heartbeat and so would a heck of alot of people, which means more money AND more name recognition. People would be drooling for your next release.Right now the price is elitist and prohibitive for some. Aviation in general is elitist and prohibitive, that's why I play sims. I could buy a decent sized house where I live for the same price of the cheapest airplane I can find this side of a homebuilt ultralite, hehe.Talk to your accountant, they live for this stuff.

I agree it looks beautiful and I have no doubt a ton of work went into designing it but I wonder if a large segment of the FS community will be unable to justify the expense. I believe the biggest hurdle now in purchasing european products is the current exchange rate of USD to EURO's....maybe in the future it will be more favorable.Again...this is not intended to be a slam of the designer Ruud. It looks to be a fine product and I'm probably inadvertently helping to promote it!!

System: i7-11700K, ASUS Prime Z590M-PLUS Motherboard, G-Skills Trident Z Series 64 GB DDR4 3200, Corsair RM1000x80 PLUS Gold, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll, GeForce RTX 4070 Super FE, NVIDIA Drivers 546.65, WD Blue NVMe m2  500GB SSD for Windows 10 Home v21H2,  WD Black SN850X 2 TB NVMe m2  for MSFS, Toshiba 2TB HD for data and other games, ViewSonic XG2705-2K  27" 2560x1440 144hz Monitor,  Thrustmaster Airbus flight stick, Logitech M510 wireless Mouse.

Guest RTC

Not sure about accountants, I'm an economist, and these are my thoughts:The price that is charged for each of these files is based on 3 things:1) The cost of producing the add-on - including time (sometimes taking weeks off work, unpaid), the cost of the programmes needed to create the add-on (especially if you have to buy a commercial version) and the cost of all the research2) The cost of maintaining the website, and the bandwidth for downloading the files.3) Some ProfitNow #2 cannot be changed.#1 is this most variable - it will be necessary to recoup the costs, and this is where the main risk comes in. If it cost you $1,000 to make the add-on, you could add $10 to the cost of each, and hope to sell 100 copies. However to be on the safe side many of the designers will add something like $15 or $20.#3 comes when #1 is complete. After re-couping the $1,000 the money made is profit.Therefore for a $25 add on. $10 may be bandwidth costs, and $15 costs of production.RTC

Guest racartron

Actually there are several very good, dependable one man shows out there. But it does pay to ask about on the forums to get the info on the most reliable developers.One of the greatest benefits of the small shop is the extremely fast response to a problem. Justin Tyme (FSGenesis) for example will respond within a couple days at the most with not only a solution to one of the rare issues regarding his mesh, but often provide a patch at the same time. Try getting this from a "large" company.Regarding the pricing, it is a buyers market. If ya don't feel the need for a particular product, get the closest thing you can for free.Being retired I have to carefully manage my "discretionary" funds and budget for those things I feel add value and enjoyment to the FS experience. But I am a Galaxy member of FSGenesis and as such get everything Justin publishes at no additional cost. And he puts out a lot of stuff.I also have all of the FScene stuff -- bought over several months. They all add significantly to my enjoyment. For the cost of a couple of pizzas or a good bottle of wine, you can get an awful lot of neat "stuff" for FS. And it lasts a heck of a lot longer -- Buyers choice.Racartronit means something, but I just can't remember what

Guest RobA

I'm not promoting Ruuds's textures but I am very happy with the updated fs2k2 textures showing in 2k4. I can't deny the author his due either, but if the price was a bit lower I'd of bought the entire lot! As is, I only have the USA-Canada textures (all seasons) and love them. Once you've flown with them and then go look at the default you'll instantly see there is value for the money here. How much money is everyone's business I guess. ;-)Rob

Guest sbdwag

I purchased FSGenesis's USA LandClass for 9.95. It may not be best solution but it satisfys my quest for realism very well thank you.Oh wait wasnt this the same guy that wanted you to buy landclass for the USA in 15.00US chunks that would cost you over 120.00US if you wanted the whole USA . Guess he KINDA got undercut by Justin. And less see FSRails now that was another costly experiment at spending money.If you have money to burn by all means here is someone who will kindly take if off your hands but as for myself It will be a cold day in the Sahara before I spend ninty dollars US on any addon for Flight Simulator. EVER!!Dennis Waggoner

>Being retired I have to carefully manage my "discretionary" funds >and budget for those things I feel add value and enjoyment to the FS >experience. But I am a Galaxy member of FSGenesis and as such get >everything Justin publishes at no additional cost. And he puts out a >lot of stuff.>I also have all of the FScene stuff -- bought over several months. >They all add significantly to my enjoyment. For the cost of a couple >of pizzas or a good bottle of wine, you can get an awful lot of >neat "stuff" for FS. And it lasts a heck of a lot longer -- Buyers >choice.I'm also retired and with the price for FScene going from 49 euro for all four usa fs2002 seasons to 81 euro for the fs2004 set it will take twice the amount of wine & pizza to pay for it!:D

Guest racartron

Are you thinking of the 90usd in terms of a single purchase or the total of ALL the bits you buy for FS?? Like airplanes, meshes, landclasses, sceneries and various utilities. Or perhaps the occasional sound or video card, additional memory sticks, a new high speed hard drive, new joy stick or yoke ;)Racartronit means something, but I just can't remember what

Guest flying_pilot

Sorry to say.. the cost is too high, I've fscene for europe, us, and oz+nz. Patching them into fs9 take cost about 30 Euro (@10 each) :(. Compare to other product with single cost about 30 Euro, they are updated for free (ex. upcoming PSS product, Lago PIC A320, etc). Even this is not apple-to-apple comparison (planes v.s. texture), I think it is fair enough.

Guest Jack172

Missing a real opportunity with those high prices...Justin at fsgenesis has the right idea, with the excitement of the release of fs2004 many, many new people are buying the sim and wanting to pick up a few extras. They go to his site see the specials and compare prices then go back and buy. He also has a record of excellent service.Just like anything new, as time passes the interest drops and so does the willingness to spend money on it, and an opportunity will be missed.The textures look great, but put a real demo up not just pictures, one region, one season would be fine, then offer a big discount on the patched fs2002 stuff. You will have a much bigger customer base talking about your products and generating interest for your upcoming fs2004 textures.

Guest flying_pilot

Agree :) how many fs2002 users will upgarding their fscene to fs9? I won't.

Guest JonP01

>Agree :) how many fs2002 users will upgarding their fscene to>fs9? I won't.Hehe..I never even bothered to finish upgrading my FS2002 fscene scenery. The company had been previously offering a "buy three and get the last free deal". The deal was pulled after I had bought the company's first three seasons for Australia and was waiting for the last season to be released. Then in lieu of that offer, the company offered the bulk discount, which wasn't much help when you only needed one more season.I would expect that at the current asking price the textures will be delivered on canvas and framed. In any case, I think the textures in FS9 are so superior to FS2002 and I don't see any need to change any of them. They look fine to me as they are.