Sign in to follow this  
Guest nramsey

Is the PMDG 737NG for me?

Guest nramsey

:( Run slow all the time, or only when flying into complex airports? Are you running with AA on? I run 1600x1200 with no anti aliasing...

Guest Fishu

XP1600+, 512mb, GF4 TI42...With virtual cockpit the FPS is jumping between 5 to 16 FPS (something like 11-13 fps avg) at a simple airport and some details chopped down.In the virtual cockpit of a default plane and same details, I'd be getting +30 FPS (with the default planes, I've capped it to 30fps)Could get very detailed settings before FPS would fall down to 10 FPS or under with default planes.I helped the situation with PMDG a bit by cutting down the size of textures to a half of the original.Converted some of the largest textures to DXT3 format, which caused for example 4mb (in the whatever "888" format) texture file get shrunk to 1mbThis greatly improved the loading time of the textures and gave up FPS.but its pretty much 2D cockpit flying with the PMDG.It sure is made to be detailed, but they could've made less detailed virtual cockpit as an option for the sunday fliers who don't care to have THAT highly detailed virtual cockpit, but likes to use one.Another problem with PMDG comes with the panel, it seems to be an FPS hogger.. switch panel to anything else and it'll be almost as smooth as any other plane, what comes to non-VC versions.I'm planning on replacing some of the gauges with default gauges and some proven 3rd party gauges to see if it would help any.(If being honest, I'd say theres some issues in the coding of the panel items)...but aside the FPS issues, it's neat

Fishu,i can't agree with you more.The plane takes a hell of along time to load, like 20 to 30 secs sometimes, i wonder what they did to those textures to make it take so long to load, its like a huge piece of lead ... and with all the disk activity.

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

And it gives me 20 to 30 times more fun to use it than default planes. ;-) On a proper configured system, flown with proper procedures the PMDG is a fantastic product. Also the PMDG-team is committed to enhance it more and more. This will definately be the reference B737NG for MS flightsim.

Guest nramsey

Thanks for the info guys. I might give it a whirl when I get around to upgrading to 1gb RAM (have 512 now) and might upgrade my proc too...eventually. I'll keep this one on the list of planes to consider in the future.