Sign in to follow this  

WARNING: Hidden Spyware of the most diabolical kind

Guest mikehaska

Yeah, I thought as much. I don't think I'll go back to using ZoneAlarm. Why have hamburger when you have steak, eh? I'll just have to keep an eye on what software is running over here.

I agree with what you're saying, except for one thing. Hollywood is lobbying for laws to protect its interests at your expense. Your rights will be at the mercy of content providers. And you can take my word for it, when there is a profit in sight, corporations gather. They make more money by enslaving you. Chances are that they're not going to change their minds just because you're saying that you're not going to buy their products. Most likely they're going to push the matter even further to make it so that they can distribute their content in a manner where you can only buy it from `reputable' sources or commit piracy. As a law obiding citizen, what would you do? Stop watching movies, playing computer games, listening to music?If you don't feel that your rights are in danger, then I admire your integrity. Personally I do trust my elected representatives because most of them want to become re-elected. They do so by supporting the public. Most of them are also decent human beings. But quite often they don't hear the constituent's side of the story. If you only hear about how awful something is but don't hear anything from anybody contradicting that, chances are you're going to believe that. I am not suggesting that our representatives are stupid or irrational, quite the contrary. We do however have a duty to help them understand our views, because they can't read thoughts. =)I can't make anybody listen to what I say, but if you choose to, please have a look around at various websites and see for yourself what is happening out there. If the CBDTPA becomes law, DRM and copy protection will be mandated and your Fair Use rights will be severely crippled if not abolished all together. It will be great for the content industry because they'll have control over how you watch TV, how you use your computer etc. In fact, I read an interview with a president of a large content provider, who said that TiVo and other similar recording devices provide for theft of programming. Why? Because you are required to watch commercials! He was kind enough to allow for people to go to the bathroom and go grab a soda though.That's not a reality I want. And I know we don't have to have it that way. But we need to let people know this. So I second everything you've said and add that we need to watch out because politicians are now getting involved with this.