Sign in to follow this  
Bob Familton

Default Pitch Trim Setting Help Please?

I have several planes that have the default pitch trim settings way off. The pitch trim is set way too high nose up. I read the excellent thread at http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...&topic_id=12256 that discusses the pitch trim problem in great detail, Has anyone figured out a simple way to edit the cfg and / or air files to fix the pitch trim problems? Thanks, regards, Bob.

There is no such thing as "default" pitch trim settings. You always need to set the trim for whatever you are doing with the plane. If you are about to takeoff, set the trim for takeoff. When you climb, set the trim for the climb attitude. When you level off, set the trim for level flight. When you descend, set the trim for descent. When you land, set the trim for landing approach. There is no mark for any of this, except for perhaps the takeoff position. Just move the trim until you are no longer fighting control pressures to hold the plane's pitch where you want to hold it. That's all.

I don't believe that's what Bob is asking--he's been simming a long time and could lecture most of us on how to fly an aircraft. Some third party aircraft tend to require excessive down trim or up trim in order to set takeoff trim. There is a parameter in the .air file which controls what I call the "neutral trim" position of the elevator--I've played with it, but I can't remember which one it is. I don't know if it even works in FS2002/FS2004... -John

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I was asking about excessive up trim at startup. I know that you have to set takeoff trim but some planes startup with really high up trim. You have to really crank the trim wheel to adjust it. See the reply below. That's what I was trying to get. Best regards and Thanks, Bob.

Hi John. Thanks for the kind words. I have been flying sims since the days of the Vic20. You are right I was just trying to get a more neutral settin so I don't have to roll the trim wheel from one end to the other to achieve the proper trim. Something in the model, the air file or the cfg file must set the default setting at startup. That's what I was looking for. I am sorry that I did not phrase my question better. Thanks and best regards, Bob.

I know this thread is very dated, but I haven't found an answer using the search.

Does anyone know how to fix the default pitch trim setting for the C172?  It is never centered at startup. 

pitch%20trim.png

That value is pulled from your default saved flight if you are creating a new flight.

Set it where you want it, save the flight as your default flight and you should be good to go.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

That picture shows what looks like neutral/zero trim, not sure what's expected?

Cheers

Paul Golding

+1  That picture shows the trim wheel exactly centered.  I would expect TO to be takeoff trim position.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

That value is pulled from your default saved flight if you are creating a new flight.

Set it where you want it, save the flight as your default flight and you should be good to go.

regards,

Joe

Thanks!  This worked.

+1  That picture shows the trim wheel exactly centered.  I would expect TO to be takeoff trim position.

I had the impression that the neutral was the "TO" setting.  My mistake.