Sign in to follow this  
doog79

Don`t Drink and Fly!

Managed to spill a full can of Lager through the keyboard of my gaming laptop on Friday night. It`s wtrecked so moral of the story is Never drink and fly folks it can cost you a lot of cash and I`m now PCless for the NGX coming out :(Douglas Reid

That's gutting. I once spilled a can of cider all over my yoke and keyboard, and the only problem I've got is a solitary sticky button on the yoke B). I dropped a pint of water on the floor next to my computer the other day actually and LUCKILY it didn't get inside (i use an open sided case and a window for cooling :() but it did manage to soak my floor and half way up the walls :(. Looks like I'm incredibly lucky or you just got incredibly unlucky :(.Best of luck though!

I knocked a can of diet soda over on my laptop once. Managed to shut it off in time though and flip it upside down. Toshiba must put some decent seals or something in there cause it still works to this day and that was at least almost 3 years ago now. Since then I do not put liquids on the same desk as my computer. Especially now that can turn into one super expensive mishap. Hopefully it starts back up for you though.

Not starting stripped it down for 48hrs but all I get is a dull light at the power switch. Looks like I`m gonna have to save some money for an i7 Rig. Suppose it`s given me the boot up the bum I needed to upgrade my system. Good news is my TB hard drive has survived with all my Add On back ups order numbers etc, and Gran Turismo on PS3 out next month to keep me busy. Completly the worse hangover ever, Douglas Reid

Bummer man. Hate to hear things like this.I too am quite a clutz, knocking my can of Pepsi over quite often (as the stains on my carpet will certainly attest).Lucky for me my current setup has made it absolutely impossible for me to spill on equipment (unless I perform a truly master clutz manuever)Have my keyboard, mouse, joystick and throttle on a table, laptop on a table to my right, and my drink goes on a table to my left, with my TV and computer tower a good six feet or more away. Almost knocked my laptop off the desk the other day though...that stopped my heart for a few seconds.

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

Yeah, that stinks for sure. I once had spilt a large glass of Coke on my desk and it went right into my comp. I had my comp at the time tight against my wall and kept the side door off. It was a mess in there and had SCSI cables all over the place. The coke hit the wall and rode down hitting the cables and followed it in to my scsi card and motherboard. Everything inside was covered yet not a single issue came of it. I wiped things up a bit, but it wasn't until months later where I saw how bad it actually was. I eventually took it apart including the motherboard out and it was amazing how much spilt and how sticky it was. I had coke in my PCI (and ISA) slots. The bottom of my MB had about a 1/4" of sticky residue. I was amazed I never had an issue, and lucky as well. Especially since this particular comp was my first custom and over $8,000.00, and this was back in 1998! Hahaha.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Talk about unlucky! My Coolit Domino ALC had the nerve to spill coolant all over my Mobo. Ended up buying a brand new motherboard, matching Ram, and air cooled Heatsink - and not to mention reformatting the harddrive, installing all addons, and setting up the sim to the way it was before.Moral of the story, set up a no-liquid zone around your PC - complete with armed guards, rocket launchers, and a pit bull. Gideon Belle

Cheers guys cheered me up a bit lol :)Cheers guys cheered me up a bit knowing Im not the only one ha ha Using the wifes netbook my machine in bits next to me. What a hangover 3 days and still got it lol

LOL, I spilled a Coke into my Logitech G11 keyboard just the other day and sure enough, even after a thorough clean-up around the area, 4 or 5 keys were sticking very badly several days later. I took the whole thing apart (about 50 little screws) and removed and cleaned the troublesome keys. Didn't work... I knew the keyboard would never be the same... A new Logitech G110 is now in place and working nicely.The moral of this story - if I'd been drikning my normal 'preferred' beverage Yuengling, the G11 might still be alive today (Coke has all that sticky syrup and stuff). So my theory is, drink more and fly, as long as it's the right beverage Bring%20It%20On.gifJust%20Kidding.gifBig%20Grin.gif

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Ya know, most keyboards can actually be tossed in the dishwasher. I have done it many times. The very old AT keyboards had electronics in them such as your controller but unless you have something with an LCD screen on it and it's relitively new (the last few years), then try it out, then dry it out too :(.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Guest wims

Its actually possible to put a keyboard in the dishwasher machine and it will most likely work afterwards, altho I wouldnt try it with a high end keyboard with say an LCD or something like that, but it will work on most OEM ones. Make sure you leave it to dry for a long time! And no, it wont work on a laptop :(

My keyboard is so crappy that if I spill a can of beer on my keyboard I'll be more concerned about the beer loss heheSeriously, hope you get your system back up and running soon Douglas