Sign in to follow this  
geoffco

FSACARS and Windows7 Questions

Hi folks,Here's a question for VA admins here who deal with FSACARS:Our VA (http://www.blue1va.net) uses FSACARS to log all our flights. We have a 'normal' PIREP reporting system as well as a live google map and flights in progress board.Some users with Windows7 seem to have lots of problems getting the program to work properly, especially with the live position update function. I get reports of FSACARS freezing or just crashing. Now, in some cases the problems can be solved by switching off the position update features, but this is not ideal. Also, some people still experience issues with sending the log.As far as I have read, the procedure for setting up and running FSACARS in Windows7 should be:> Disable / turn off WIndows7 UAC> Install the program and update from the SATA Virtual site (always install as 'administrator')> Get the BLF.ini (VA config file) and paste it into the FSACARS directory> Run FSACARS as 'administrator' and in WindowsXP compatability mode...> On first use, set the config options for 'plane position and status' to ON and 'live ACARS' to off. Weather server setting to 'No Metars'Have I missed out something, or are any of these unnecessary or even counterproductive?With XP (x86 or x64) and either FS9 or FSX we have no problems, even when running over WideFS etc, as long as the user has set up FSUIPC correctly and their BLF.ini file is in order. It would be really nice to be able to get this all working for everybody, because I'd really rather not mess about re-coding the site to cater for a different (or multiple) ACARS systems!Thanks for any tips!Geoff

We use FSAcars and have lots of pilots that use WIN7 and do not normally have this problem. When it does occur it is usually because of on if the following:1. Old version of FSUIPC;2. Pilots did not install the FSAcars upgrade or one of the other files be it your VAs .ini file, etc.Regards,

CXA001-1.jpg

VATSIM: P2 | I1

We use FSAcars and have lots of pilots that use WIN7 and do not normally have this problem. When it does occur it is usually because of on if the following:1. Old version of FSUIPC;2. Pilots did not install the FSAcars upgrade or one of the other files be it your VAs .ini file, etc.Regards,
Hi,Thanks for the reply - that is what I suspected. I borrowed a Windows7 Laptop form my work and, after some testing, found that everything was working fine as long as the UAC was off when installing and that the program was run in administrator mode and with WindowsXP P2 compatability enabled... I'll just have to find out what our other members are doing wrong and write a better installation tutorial (in Finnish)! Cheers,Geoff