Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dominik Mann

Q to all Soviet military plane connoisseurs...

Guest Dominik Mann

This morning I received a newsletter from my preferred mail order retailer telling me about their new items...among which is also the Trumpeter 1/48 Su-15 (WOOHOO!!!).However (before you delete this post for apparent "wrong forumness" ;-) ), what I was wondering about is this...What do those abbreviations after the plane type designation actually mean?For example, let's take the Su-15TM. What "Su-15" means is pretty obvious, but what does the "TM" mean? I gather it is an abbreviation for something, but since I do not speak Russian I have no idea what it could denote. I only know that "UB" as in "MiG-29UB" means "utshebny-boyovy" ("training and combat") and "PF" as in "MiG-17PF" means "poiskovyy-forsirovaniy" ("search" -meaning the plane is equipped with a targeting radar - and "reinforced", which relates to the afterburning engine).Anybody help me out here?Thanks!

Guest Iain Spowart

Dominik,It doesn't look like you're going to find the answer here! The best place to ask would be the General Avation forum at http://www.sukhoi.ru/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=aviageneralAlthough it is mostly in Russian if you post your question in English you should get a reply in English :-)If you do get an answer then please let me know! I'm curious about this as well now!Iain Spowart,Scotland.Webmaster and photographer,Scottish Claymores 2002Cheerleaders Fan Sitehttp://www.claymorescheerleaders.com/media/avsim/2002-s.jpghttp://ClaymoresCheerleaders.com

Guest Dominik Mann

Wow, thanks! I didn't get to post on that Russian board so far myself, but was planning to do so this weekend. Seems you got there first! :DBTW, kak

Guest Iain Spowart

Dominik,I have no idea what your question is! I don't speak Russian and the only way I could use the forum was by comparing it against other (English) ones to know what the buttons meant!Thanks to CoValent at sukhoi.ru for his excellent answer to your question :-)Iain Spowart,Scotland.

Guest Dominik Mann

My question was simply if you happen to speak Russian :-) . Tried to type it in Cyrillic at first, but the AVSIM board would not support Cyrillic characters ;-) .