Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Video Card Question Please?

This may sound a bit of a dumb question, but I've been somewhat 'out-of-the-loop' for quite a while now.I'm currently running an nVidia 8800GTS 640Mb card and want to step up a bit. I know my CPU wont give any more FPS, but my AA and AF with modern addon aircraft is pretty naff.My question is, how many 'generations' is my card out of date? I really have lost touch with hardware specs the last few years.I certainly can't afford any of the latest generation cards, but thought if mine is a few behind, I could get something significantly better without breaking the bank.Any help or advice greatly appreciatedThanks

This may sound a bit of a dumb question, but I've been somewhat 'out-of-the-loop' for quite a while now.I'm currently running an nVidia 8800GTS 640Mb card and want to step up a bit.  I know my CPU wont give any more FPS, but my AA and AF with modern addon aircraft is pretty naff.My question is, how many 'generations' is my card out of date?  I really have lost touch with hardware specs the last few years.I certainly can't afford any of the latest generation cards, but thought if mine is a few behind, I could get something significantly better without breaking the bank.Any help or advice greatly appreciatedThanks
Dougal - nice dog - You are back 2 generations.  An approximate upgrade path was 8800, 285, 4??.  I'm partial to the inexpensive 460GTX but depending on how fat your wallet is you may want to opt for the 480 (580).    Most Important - you will need a i5 to i7 running at about 4ghz system to take advantage of the 400 series GPUs.Cheersjja 

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png