Hey, all.Have been out of the FS9 loop for some time due to proc overheating and shutdown. Been using a netbook just to get online and get by in the interim.Trying to plan a new system that will run FSX, and looking for advice.I wish I could say money wasn't an option, but then I wouldn't be posting this message for advice from fellow simmers if that was the case.It's probably going to take me a few months to put this together, but so far I'm set on going with an ASUS Rampage III Extreme MOBO as the base. I'm not sure if I should go with a Core i7-950, or break the bank for a Core i7-965 Extreme or Core i7-975 Extreme. If I go with the Extreme option(s) that extends the time on my build due to funds. Either way, it will take some time before I can afford everything to put this system together.With my mind set on the MOBO, I'm thinking a base of 4GB Kingston Hyper-X. The HDD (1TB), and at least a DVD/RW to start off (Blu-Ray to come later), are a given.Now my next dilemma....The video card.ATI 5970 and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 are way past my budget. The ATI 5870 and GTX 470 will still delay the build due to budget constraints. I'm thinking either the ATI 5850 or NVIDIA GTX460. Now I know that the vid card doesn't factor in so much when it comes to a simulation like FSX which is more processor intensive, but it would be nice to have something that rips great apps when it comes to video or other graphic intensive entertainment titles. All the other stuff (Yoke, throttles, pedals) are a luxury and unfortunately will have to wait for a bit.I was flying online for years on VATSIM with PMDG 737 6/7/8/900 and Level D 767. Not being able to do this for over a year is sending me into the padded room. I'm sure many of you reading this understand my pain. I'm looking forward to building this new system, purchasing the new 737 NGX from PMDG, and getting back into the virtual skies.Any and all advice is very much appreciated.Thanks for reading.Dave

Guest chris493

Get the i7 950, and the Noctua NH-D14 cpu cooler. That will allow you to OC to 4GHz +. Save some money and get something like the Asus P6X58D-E instead for the mobo, unless you absolutely NEED the Rampage. Get 6GB DDR3 1600Mhz Mushkin Redline C6 Tri-channel ram, it can be picked up fairly cheap, and is great quality. I would get a 500GB WD Caviar Black 32MB HD for OS/Other data, and a 640GB WD Caviar Black 64MB for FSX and addons only. Dedicated HD's work well for FSX.For graphics, nVidia seem to work better in FSX without extensive tweaking, so get MINIMUM a GTX460, but best would be a GTX470 or GTX480. Top all that off with a decent 750W+ PSU, try and get something good quality and modular, such as Coolermaster Silent Pro, Enermax Revolution 85+, Corsair HX etc.Finally, get a high airflow case such as the Coolermaster HAF 922, 932 or HAF X, or the Antec 902 or equivelant.

Chris,Thanks so much for your advice. I ordered everything for my new build, most of it should be here tomorrow, with some other things trickling in on Monday.ASUS P6X58D-E Mobo, Intel Core i7-950 Proc, 6 GB Kingston Hyper X DDR 3 1600, EVGA GeForce GTX 470, Antec Nine Hundred Two Enclosure, Antec TP650W PS, LG BD/RW, Seagate 1TB HDD, Seagate 500GB HDD (As per your recommendation, for FSX/Add-On's only).A bit over my budget but screw it.Can't wait to start building.Thanks again for your input.Dave

Guest chris493

There's a bit of a problem though, 650W isn't all that much for an overclocked i7, with a GTX470. Especially from antec, since they aren't all too efficient. You don't have much headroom with that and you may risk damaging components or underpowering your computer. I normally recommend a MINIMUM of 750W @ 85% + efficiency. One thing I don't understand is how you were planning on getting a ASIs rampage 3 extreme mobo, and with that mobo at half the price, you still went over budget? Just doesn't add up.

Guest freebird77

Your getting good advice from Chris, and I would echo that the Antec is a weak link, send it back now while you can. Even a 500W OCZ is better.Really, at least at a minimum get something like THIS for $59 after rebate you wont have any regrets - It is the live blood of your system.Enjoy your build!

Chris,Once again, thanks for the input. Sending back the 650W PS and ordered a CoolerMaster 800W Silent Pro Gold.Much appreciated.Dave

There's a bit of a problem though, 650W isn't all that much for an overclocked i7, with a GTX470. Especially from antec, since they aren't all too efficient. You don't have much headroom with that and you may risk damaging components or underpowering your computer. I normally recommend a MINIMUM of 750W @ 85% + efficiency. One thing I don't understand is how you were planning on getting a ASIs rampage 3 extreme mobo, and with that mobo at half the price, you still went over budget? Just doesn't add up.