Sign in to follow this  
Paolo_R

FS2004 Training Videos Crah

I've just installed FS2004 + the 9.1 update on my Windows 7 Pro 64-bit pc. When I start any of the videos in the 'Getting Started/Learning Center' section, the program stops working.From what little else I've tested the rest of the sim seems fine. Can anyone suggest causes/solutions?Thanks

Guest firehawk44
I've just installed FS2004 + the 9.1 update on my Windows 7 Pro 64-bit pc. When I start any of the videos in the 'Getting Started/Learning Center' section, the program stops working.From what little else I've tested the rest of the sim seems fine. Can anyone suggest causes/solutions?Thanks
I think it's a video card installation problem but, if FS9 stopped working, then there should be an "event" within the Event Viewer. Check that out and look for an event that occurred when you tried to start the video and the program crashed/stopped working. That could give you a valuable clue as to what caused the event. Best regards,Jim

I think it's a video card installation problem but, if FS9 stopped working, then there should be an "event" within the Event Viewer. Check that out and look for an event that occurred when you tried to start the video and the program crashed/stopped working. That could give you a valuable clue as to what caused the event. Best regards,Jim
Jim: thanks - good thinking. Yes, I think it's to do with the fact that I've got Windows Media Player 12 on my W7 machine. The event viewer shows:Source: Application ErrorFaulting Application name: FS9.exe ...Faulting Module name: wmp.dll, version 12.0.7600.16667 (note: this is the version number which shows in WMP->About)Source: ApplicationExperienceInfrastructureThe application (Windows Media Technologies) was hard-blocked. This version of WMT is incompatible with or has been superceded by this version of WindowsI don't know whether FS9 tries to load its own (earlier) version of WMP or whether W7 just can't handle the video format in FS9.So I don't know whether there's a solution on W7. As a workaround, I've installed FS9 on my other XP pc and the videos display correctly. On my W7 pc I've got fs9 on XP compatibility settings but - if it's a video format issue - this won't solve the problem.

Figured out the problem, apparently WMP 12 does not like the video format used in FS9

however WMP9 will work since it comes with XP. There is a way to install it on a win-7 32 bit machine. The instructions are on Youtube

FS9 will complain about the WMP.dll being incompatible, but if you run it anyhow, it will play the introductory videos

good luck

Fixit47