Sign in to follow this  
B777ER

Severe wind shifts using FSMeteo v6.3

Anyone else getting severe wind shifts using fsmeteo 6.3? even using fsuipc's parameters to dampen the wind shifts to 1 degree every 30 seconds and disabling upper wind gusts in the fsmeteo options does not affect these wind gusts. I assume they are due to the was fsmeteo handles the weather by setting each station and then inputting it into fs2004 thereby when flying from one metar sation to the next the wind shifts violently. Any cure for this?

Eric 

Yeah, me. I was flying from Houston to Atlanta this morning and had FSMeteo shift the weather 180 degrees in seconds at least twice. I have the payware version of FSUIPC3.08, too. I have FSUIPC checked to smooth the wind changes at only 2 seconds for each 1 degree of 1 knot. My airspeed dropped instantly from M.78 to M.68 (wind shifted from 230/60 to 045/45. :-hmmmDon't know what's going on here. It's pretty darned annoying, though.Steve

Yes unfortunately Eric many have documented experiencing this issue. For me, it is the biggest remaining issue with FS2004 and really makes the experience of flying heavies at the upper cruise levels less realistic. Pete says on his website that it is related to the way that the new weather engine in FS9 interpolates between weather stations and he doesn't see any easy way to correct it at this point. Marc at FSMETEO has also been made aware of it and I'm not sure that he's been able to develop a work around yet.I hope folks keep working this issue. It is a MAJOR annoyance for me.regards,

Chris,Thanks for the info. At least it is not my settings that are the root cause of this. I had the wind shift on me last night on a flight into LAX and it caused a stall on my A330 it was so severe. I guess are only hope is that Marc fixes it somehow or the new Activesky version 2.0 fixes it. It is the only remaining problem I have with FS2004.

Eric 

im having the same problem here as well, but instead of comming close to stalling my airspeed is increasing, forcing the plane into an overspeed situation...its happened tonight 3 times to me which caused the plane to crash in mid-air due to over stressing, what a complete waste of time...tried 3 times and never got to finish my flight...kept crashing....and the wind shifts were to just fast and too often...so trying to use spoilers was useless...one second id be getting 100kts wind from a particular direction and then a few seconds the direction would #### 90-180 degrees...then a few seconds more and it would shift back again...it kept doing this until the plane just couldnt take anymore stress and crashed.This sim has turned out to be somewhat of a nightmare, not only for the end-user but also for the developers...for i, personally have stopped buying all fs2004 payware aircraft since none of them are able to fly as smoothly as the default planes (with the exception of carenados cessna 210 centurion)Can anyone confirm this happening while using the ms default live weather instead of fsmeteo?Dave Kalin

When I start FSMeteo, under Options, I check DISABLE WIND TRANSITIONS, and I have not had that problem again. I know this is a workaround, but it works for me.

Guest LLgaz

>>>I check DISABLE WIND TRANSITIONS<<

I can confirm that I am suffering sudden wind changes with the default live weather. I am finding it causing 15-20 degrees of heading swing and 30-40 kts of airspeed change even with something as heavy as the 747. It sometimes gets in to a rhythm of a swing each way every few seconds. Makes accurate approaches somewhat difficult!!RegardsJim

Jim

i7-10700K @ 5Ghz | Asus Z490 Tuf Pro Gaming | RTX 3090 | 64 Gb RAM @3.6Ghz | 1TB Samsung 970 EVO+ SSD | 1TB addlink S70 M.2 SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | 4TB HDD | Reverb G2 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs