Sign in to follow this  

21st century Boeing

The main problem seems to be less the transportation itself so much as the generation and (lossless) compression of the datastream (not to mention recreating a living object from inanimate matter at the destination.There has been limited success with single atoms and subatomic particles, but so far anything larger has been impossible.Not only are current computers not powerfull enough, but the required energies are at the moment more than all the generated electricity at the planet.

Guest Dominik Mann

"The main problem seems to be less the transportation itself so much as the generation and (lossless) compression of the datastream (not to mention recreating a living object from inanimate matter at the destination."Yup...even in Star Trek it does not always work right... Remember that scene from ST: The Motion Picture? :-eek Really made me cringe when I first saw how that officer failed to materialize, but right before his/her "death" let loose this nerve-shattering, distorted scream *gulp* ..."Not only are current computers not powerfull enough, but the required energies are at the moment more than all the generated electricity at the planet. "Well, as far as I know they are working on M/AM fusion, but I think they only just managed to prove that antimatter does exist...oh, well...

Guest Pardue802

No doubt, I was reading the other day where some guy had substantial evidence to prove that the speed of light has actually slowed since the supposed Big Bang (Apparently it moved at near infinite speed around that time, and has gradually slowed since). The article went on to say that if this pans out, Einstein and E=MC2 is thrown out the window. Not only that, but I've also heard that somehow they managed to accelerate a photon faster than the speed of light somewhere.Not quite related to antigravity (or maybe it is, I don't have a clue about physics!) but interesting to be sure to prove that we're making some pretty far-fetched things come true.Kenneth

Of all the areas of science fiction, I believe an anti-grav transportation system may be the most likely to become science fact. How? Haven't a clue, but I believe recent observations of space may point in a direction, from the odd behaviour of the universe's expansion which seems to defy gravity. Perhaps the secret rests in "dark matter".... Or imagine a substance which be inclined to move away from mass, rather than toward it. In practice, I have already seen one anti-gravity device--my two year old daughter. She can prevent all her toys from falling into her toybox where they are supposed to be when she's through playing, and judging from the pattern of random toys in my house, I can only confirm that she has mastered the science behind anti-gravity. She can also increase gravity, by changing her mass in direct proportion to bedtime, so that it takes the combined effort of my wife and I to place her in bed....-John

Guest AAF

I'm just thinking that, from a professional standpoint, it is a VERY risky move for Boeing. But just look at the possible rewards. Now I remember that the scientist who did the experiments with supercooled magnets, for sake of his career, kept the information a secret. Unfortunately, information was leaked to the press, his career was ruined, and he was ridiculed by those who respected him. Tread carefully, Boeing.

I believe that at CERN they managed to create anti-matter (for a billionth of a second or however long it was), but that does not mean it exists anywhere else...Cheers,Gosta.

Ah, but are you so sure that his career was ruined ? What if Boeing snapped him up to aid them in developing such technology ?Does anyone remember the cold fusion news headline from years ago ? I consider that little piece of history to be far more than meets the eye.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest AAF

Good point indeed, Chris. I think that I perhaps meant that it was his reputation that was ruined...

If this is the start of "anti-gravity engines" I'd like to see what Airbus would try and do with them. personally I think there's too many risks involving these types of engines. One: There's never been any test on this type of plane (that I can think of). Two: Gravity holds down our air to breathe so if there anti-gravity engines there'd be no air and we'd mostly die becuase we'd suffocate up there even if they had pressurized air. Sorry Boeing, but I think you've started out on the wrong foot in the first place.