Sign in to follow this  

Another Airshow Crash.. ..

I saw it on BBC News 24, it was great that the pilot ejected, and it landed into the sea!

Guest Dominik Mann

*snorts*You know, over here the TV news called the plane a "Sea Harrier GR.7" in all honesty :-roll ...

Ahhhhhh, How nice to "sea" it going home...............!I dont know if you saw the footage, from all angles, it's apparent the aircraft lost power. The pilot to his credit could not have left it any longer to save his aircraft and out he popped, ironically nearly landing back on his broken aircraft. Credit to him and the training he recieved.George

Got to be the worst possible time to lose your power in one of those just a blessing that it was over water otherwise the pilot may have been toasted (ouch) !!!

you'd be suprised just how low you can be before ejecting, remember the Russians at I think Farnborough a few years back, he came out horizontal almost, from less than 100 feet, picked himself up, had a fag and a stiff vodka and was back flying in no time, thrilling the crowd with those dramatic tail slides, dont know if you ever saw one, but a real thriller.CheersGeorge

That was at Fairford - I was there the day after the crash and used about 20 rolls of film. I couldn't believe the way they showed the pilot on TV - calm or what - eject, land, spark up a fag cool as a cucumber !!!!! The worry with the Harrier would have been if it was that slow when he ejected if over land he may have come down on a burning wreckage !!

Yep ! I didnt think of that..dunces hat's back on !George

An interesting point about that (Russian) ejection was that in slow motion replays, they showed that the explosion from the crashing aircraft actually helped to fill the pilots 'chute as he fell towards the ground...if that had not happened his landing would have been a lot harder!