Sign in to follow this  
jfri

How dows Carenado C208B GRAND CARAVAN compares to Quest Kodiak

I now have the Quest Kodiak from Lionheart. I'm not quite happy with it. Since Grand Caravan is similary plane I would like to know how Carenado C208B Grand Caravan compares to it? Anyone having both?

I now have the Quest Kodiak from Lionheart. I'm not quite happy with it. Since Grand Caravan is similary plane I would like to know how Carenado C208B Grand Caravan compares to it? Anyone having both?
I've flown both (in FSX) and would say that the Kodiak is a nimbler and faster plane.The C208 feels like you are driving a bus, which I gather is exactly how the real one flies. Also, the Kodiak has G1000 avionics which some might prefer..What about the Kodiak do you not like?

Bert

I guess I am at the same point as Bert. What is it that you want to know about the Grand Caravan? You are asking to compare an apple to an orange.

IMHO, the Carenado plane is far superior in all aspects.

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

I have the Kodiak...I don't fly it though.The main issue for me was the Garmin suite - it performed poorly on my dated system. Other than that it looked nice and flew well.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I've flown both (in FSX) and would say that the Kodiak is a nimbler and faster plane.The C208 feels like you are driving a bus, which I gather is exactly how the real one flies. Also, the Kodiak has G1000 avionics which some might prefer..What about the Kodiak do you not like?
Not quite happy with Kodiak because1) When I start engine from cold the planes starts moving forward in spite of throttle all way back and parking brake engaged.2) I find it jerky and oversensitive to fly. Have read postings before that this is unrealistic.3) Hard to read the small engine data on the MFD. You really need the popup window to see the G1000 MFD. I prefer a bigger more readable steam gauge.Also maybe a steam gauge Carenado is better for me (considering my system) because of performence compared to G1000.My systemAMD 6000X2 3.1 GHz4 Gb PC6400 RAMNVIDIA GTS250 1 GbWin 7 x64

Not quite happy with Kodiak because1) When I start engine from cold the planes starts moving forward in spite of throttle all way back and parking brake engaged.2) I find it jerky and oversensitive to fly. Have read postings before that this is unrealistic.3) Hard to read the small engine data on the MFD. You really need the popup window to see the G1000 MFD. I prefer a bigger more readable steam gauge.
OK...Re 1) On my system, the parking brake holds the Kodiak, without it, it starts moving2) The Kodiak is very sensitive to control inputs, the C208 is the exact opposite, it does not like to change direction3) The C208 has steam gauges, so that might indeed work better for youI actually enjoy the Kodiak, but the C208 has been tested and verified by an active Caravan pilotso I have every reason to believe it is accurate. Just be prepared for "driving a bus" :(

Bert

OK...2) The Kodiak is very sensitive to control inputs, the C208 is the exact opposite, it does not like to change direction
Do you mean that this is how it is in real life? Meaning the behaviour of the Kodiak in FSX is realistic?

Just so you guys know the Quest Kodiak from lionheart is on sale at simmarket lol. :(

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.

Do you mean that this is how it is in real life? Meaning the behaviour of the Kodiak in FSX is realistic?
I have no idea how the real Kodiak handles.. the comments are about the FSX model.As for me, I quite like the responsive handling in FSX.Jerry Beckwith developed the flight model, and he's got a pretty solid reputation..Also look here for aircraft info: http://www.questaircraft.com/and the Avsim review:http://www.avsim.com/pages/0609/Lionheart/Kodiak.htm

Bert

I have both and I like both of them. I have a lot more time in the Kodiak.If you were going to buy only one of them, I would do the Kodiak. It is a better value considering you get the a lot more models for one price. There are more repaints available as well but one of the major sources for paints are no longer available - Banana Bob.This really isn't my type of aircraft (prefer airliners) but I bought it for island hopping. I bought the Caravan with the same thing in mind but I am disappointed that I have not seen very many repaints for RW airlines. I read it is due to them not releasing a layered paint kit - Ii am not a painter so I don't know if that is true. Had I known, however, that there would be so few paints available, I may not have bought the Caravan. To me, the official download should have included at least a few of the common airlines that operate the Caravan. It doesn't - they are all fictional.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

I have no idea how the real Kodiak handles.. the comments are about the FSX model.As for me, I quite like the responsive handling in FSX.Jerry Beckwith developed the flight model, and he's got a pretty solid reputation..Also look here for aircraft info: http://www.questaircraft.com/and the Avsim review:http://www.avsim.com...eart/Kodiak.htm
Since I have already purchased Kodiak I might give it another chance. Maybe its responsive handling is just realism. BTW interesting links you gave.

Since I have already purchased Kodiak I might give it another chance. Maybe its responsive handling is just realism. BTW interesting links you gave.
If you should decide to stick with the Kodiak, I can send you some G1000 modificationsthat fix some visual issues and make it easy to turn the knobs, using the mouse wheel.Just send me a PM.

Bert

Not quite happy with Kodiak because1) When I start engine from cold the planes starts moving forward in spite of throttle all way back and parking brake engaged.Be sure mixture is set to about 1/4.