Sign in to follow this  
spesimen

prepar3d and the new ms fly compared to FSX

when i first heard about prepar3d, i was curious because any bug-fixed version of FSX seemed like it would be nice. i can't say how many times i was doing a face palm and wishing i could buy another FSX patch that at least would fix some of the memory leaks and crashiness. i heard that it would be very expensive to keep casual users away...but now that they've announced the details, the price seems like it's less than i was expecting, still quite high, but maybe worth it for no more crashes... if they actually were able to address the FSX issues..since the announcement of MS's new sim though, what's the story? are both of these products part of the same codebase, or were they split from the older 'ESP' stuff so they are divergent but still backwards compatible? is prepar3d something even worth looking at for anyone other than commercial clients, like how much coding is necessary to run typical fsx addon planes in orbx/ut scenery? especially now with a new MS sim on the way also?i'm guessing it might be a case of, if you had a developer specifically making a specific system for it then it might be more useful than trying to get fsx addons to run correctly on it, unless those will truly be compatible out of the box...umm, just some random thoughts anyway.cheers,-andy crosby

i could buy another FSX patch that at least would fix some of the memory leaks and crashiness.
Can you elaborate? what memory leaks are you referring to? and FSX crashiness? where? FSX is probably the most stable, crash free program I've installed in my computer (tweaked of course) a vanilla install is a total mess.
but maybe worth it for no more crashes... if they actually were able to address the FSX issues..
Try to understand first why you experience FSX crashes before going to Prepar3D... it could be a frustrating experience to shell $400 and find out you experience the same crashes!

Can you elaborate? what memory leaks are you referring to? and FSX crashiness? where? FSX is probably the most stable, crash free program I've installed in my computer (tweaked of course) a vanilla install is a total mess.
oh man i've had all of 'em. the whole nvdia 9800, if you run fullscreen and do any action that causes sim reload is also CTD. the whole having to set /userva with 32-bit os. under 64-bit some of those go away but new ones appear.i have easily 100% repro crashes in a couple cases that i used to tune my system, ultimately to get 100% crash free i had to reduce texture max load to 1024 when running full addons..i can boost it for short GA flights in cpu-light planes and so forth.. i basically have a suite of .cfg and setting files that i use based on intended length of flight, area, type of plane, etc. it's all a combination, if i use heavy scenery like the orbx stuff lightweight GA aircraft don't freak out, but with trying to bring the md-11 in there it is just asking for trouble. can't tell ya how many j4100 flights i've had over PNW that crashed halfway through, doesn't happen at all in other areas where i have lightweight scenery, and i can reduce frequency by adjusting texture_max_load down.. other issues are like the whole thing with winds that randomly snap 180degrees and +/-20knots, or hey i'm at 20000feet why is the OAT 24C all of a sudden??things that no matter how hard they try, the hifi/rex/fsuipc dudes end up saying "guess it is some simconnect bug"... or how many addon a/c makers do you see in their manuals still saying like load a default plane before loading or whatever. half of the time it's leftover fs9 voodoo but still reflects the fact that you are much more likely to CTD after a few reloads than not. :)anyway lol...my point is in these cases it should all be moot, at worst i should see performance degredation, never a ctd..
Try to understand first why you experience FSX crashes before going to Prepar3D... it could be a frustrating experience to shell $400 and find out you experience the same crashes!
oh, that's why i am asking in the first place. can someone verify that prepar3d will correctly take advantage of 64-bit OS and ram, for example? does it use extra cores any differently than vanilla fsx? mainly i am just curious, i figured perhaps it is an issue of, by shelling out that cash you are getting access to support to track those issues down more carefully? and also, is this all moot if ms flight is going to use the same codebase, or how does that all fit together anyway..anyway thanks for the responsecheers-andy crosby

Aside from a few additional features added, there's no essential differences between that and FSX. It is still a 32bit program.Completely aside from which, unless you can demonstrate that you're a bonafide commercial customer, you can't buy it anyway... :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

memory leaks and crashiness.
I run FSX with very few add-ons and have never had a crash or a memory leak. Maybe it''s add-ons that cause the problems?

If you are looking for an optimized version of FSX, I'd suggest that the upcoming MS Flight title is your best bet..

Bert

If you are looking for an optimized version of FSX, I'd suggest that the upcoming MS Flight title is your best bet..
you ARE kidding right?From what I've seen so far, I'd say Flight is anything BUT an 'optimized' version of FSX.Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

you ARE kidding right?From what I've seen so far, I'd say Flight is anything BUT an 'optimized' version of FSX.Vic
Was not kidding :rolleyes:We clearly do not know a lot about Flight as yet, but I would expect it tobe essentially an enhanced FSX, with social networking architecture bolted on.Fairly safe to assume that it will make better use of multiprocessors andfast video cards.. Also safe to assume that I'll be upgrading my OSto Windows7 to run it..

Bert

Completely aside from which, unless you can demonstrate that you're a bonafide commercial customer, you can't buy it anyway... :(
Oh, I'm pretty sure we'll sell a copy to anyone with 500 bucks and a credit card :-> although the Prepar3d Developer Network subscription at 10 bucks/month is probably a better deal if you just want to get a copy to play with (actually, two copies) - you could pay for that for 4 years for the cost of one license :-> plus you get all the updates over those 4 years.Tim

Oh, I'm pretty sure we'll sell a copy to anyone with 500 bucks and a credit card :-> although the Prepar3d Developer Network subscription at 10 bucks/month is probably a better deal if you just want to get a copy to play with (actually, two copies) - you could pay for that for 4 years for the cost of one license :-> plus you get all the updates over those 4 years.Tim
Tim,But legally speaking, Prepar3D is targeted for commercial / non entertainment use correct? (I know this is correct) So isn't selling a copy to anyone with 500 bucks and a credit card and encouraging a dev network subscription for non dev / commercial use "if you just want to get a copy to play with" a bit on the fringes? If I am in error, please educate me.Jim

Hey Jim,Oops, thought I was answering this on FSDeveloper (where I was before I came here :->), so meant that answer to be more targeted at developers - as in we would sell a copy or a subscription to any one who wants to take a look to see if they want to develop for/support the product.Yes, Prepar3d is licensed for commerical/educational use only, and the price would tend to enforce that on its own (although it's a lower price than ESP was being offered at originally). I imagine there will be some fringe cases though, like developing your own multi-channel cockpit mockup (which would kinda stradle that commercial/pro-sumer line) where features in Prepar3d might come in useful (like multi-channel support, support for more buttons/axis on joystick/input devices, etc). I don't think we have any sort of system in place to verify commercial use intent though.Tim

Hi Tim, thanks for the clarification. As we (Flight1 tech) have spent much time and effort on enterprise solutions, I just wanted it clarified so there was no mis-understanding as to the intent and legal use of the product. Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Hey Jim,I don't think we have any sort of system in place to verify commercial use intent though.Tim
Actually you do, its called the EULA. End User License Agreement... and I presume a formal legal agreement and understanding with Microsoft for specific use and intent as we did when we licensed the Object Code for ESP.Best Regards,Jim

While I could be wrong... I believe that Lockheed Martin actually purchased ESP... not the object code. If so, they are not under any EULA.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Guest veeray

I remember it was a sale as well. Not a EULA. Either way Microsoft cashes in eventually from the sale of windows based solutions to support all this.

You may be able to use prepar3D commercially but I can't imagine that you will be able to use any add-ons, such as REX, PMDG etc as they each have their own EULA which states Not for Commercial Use. Imagine FSX with no add-ons?

Keith Sandford.