Sign in to follow this  
spesimen

prepar3d and the new ms fly compared to FSX

@Tim. Thanks for the clarification/correction. I will say that the new GUI's that are available are much, much improved and unified. I particularly like the a/c selection menu!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi,I know the pure FSX models can be imported into Prepar3D, but what about scenery? RegardsBob

I know the pure FSX models can be imported into Prepar3D, but what about scenery?
Yes. 99% of addons work, apart from those that look for FSX to install.

Yes. 99% of addons work, apart from those that look for FSX to install.
For that matter, most installers will allow you to "Browse" and specify wherever you have FSX actually installed......in which case you simply point to where you have Prepar3D installed.The only real exceptions are those -thankfully rare- installers that write a custom entry in the system's Registry. :(

Fr. Bill    

So is Prepare3D FSX SP2-based or is it like FSX RTM?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Thats good to know.Now, I know they have redone the shaders to 3.0, and aside from the Bathemetry code, I am wondering if anything has been done for performance yet?I would think someone here has imported scenery etc and I was curious as to the performance. All of those FSX tweaks that seemped to put so many tweakers in a craze , I am wonderingif many of those tweaks will still be needed with prepar3d (at least the ones that worked)? I know this is a big project for them and there is alot on the table, and I am praying they may be able to findout why fsx is such a hog and work on the performance aspects of the code.Bob

For that matter, most installers will allow you to "Browse" and specify wherever you have FSX actually installed......in which case you simply point to where you have Prepar3D installed.The only real exceptions are those -thankfully rare- installers that write a custom entry in the system's Registry. Black Eye.gif

So is Prepare3D FSX SP2-based or is it like FSX RTM?
It is based on the ESP v1.0 platform, which was essentially FSX + SP2..

Fr. Bill    

For that matter, most installers will allow you to "Browse" and specify wherever you have FSX actually installed......in which case you simply point to where you have Prepar3D installed.The only real exceptions are those -thankfully rare- installers that write a custom entry in the system's Registry. :(
Bill,as far as I understand it (and I don't have Prepar3d installed), it's not that simple. Any 'advanced' add-on aircraft will look for compatibility based on the installed SimConnect version and will fail to run if it doesn't find a version that is known and supported. I understand that Prepar3d has switched to a static version of SimConnect as a library, rather than a DLL, which means the addons will require a recompile against this static library.(Again - not an owner of Prepar3d - if this is not so, please correct me).

Lefteris Kalamaras - Founder

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

I understand that Prepar3d has switched to a static version of SimConnect as a library, rather than a DLL, which means the addons will require a recompile against this static library.
From what I've read in the Prepar3D forums, the previous SimConnect versions are also installed. I can't verify that myself, since I have Prepar3D installed on the same system as FSX, so of course already had the versions that FSX + SP's installed.Okay, I've just reviewed the SimConnect forum, and here's Tim's (beatle's) answer:
If you have code that already does the dynamic linking/looking for the latest installed version, then just continue to do that using the FSX-SP2 or ESP versions of the libraries in the WinSxS (we do install those for backwards compatiblity), but if you want to use any of the new APIs that we add, you will need to use our static library to access those.

Fr. Bill    

From what I've read in the Prepar3D forums, the previous SimConnect versions are also installed. I can't verify that myself, since I have Prepar3D installed on the same system as FSX, so of course already had the versions that FSX + SP's installed.Okay, I've just reviewed the SimConnect forum, and here's Tim's (beatle's) answer:
Bill,that's good news, if it's so, as ESP installed a DLL that had different version numbers than FSX (therefore all addons needed rebuilding separately).

Lefteris Kalamaras - Founder

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

Bill,that's good news, if it's so, as ESP installed a DLL that had different version numbers than FSX (therefore all addons needed rebuilding separately).
The quote from Tim was part of a discussion with Pete regarding him wishing to add support for Prepar3D's new API to FSUIPC. Pete had already set up FSUIPC to use the FSX SP2 and/or Acceleration SimConnect modules included with Prepar3D, and automatically install FSUIPC into Prepar3D.

Fr. Bill